Press event hints at Australia-based Apple announcements

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Early next year, Apple Computer's Australia division is scheduled to host a press event that may divulge clues as to when the computer maker will launch a local version of its iTunes music download service.

Sources have recently pointed to this Apple seminar signup page, which advocates a Macworld Event that will take place on January 12, 2005 at the Westin Hotel in Sydney.

"Historically, Apple Australia do not hold events like these to coincide with the US Macworld conferences," said one tipster. "The fact that they are this time strongly suggests that something very Australia-specific could be launched around the same time--some kind of music store, perhaps."

In October, the Australian Financial Review cited music industry sources in a report, stating Apple had completed negotiations with Austrailian-based record labels and would be ready to officially launch the service in a matter of weeks. To date, there has been no official word on the service launch.

This past Fall, Apple hit roadblocks while attempting to launch its iTunes music download service in Canada and Ireland. And while the Canadian service did eventually launch in December, the company has yet to comment on the mysterious last-minute ommitance of Ireland from its October debut of the iTunes European Union service.

It's unclear precisely what announcements may be in store for attendees at the Australian Macworld Event. The presentation is scheduled to kick-off at 3:30pm Australian time, just hours after Apple chief executive will have delivered the opening Macworld keynote presentation in San Francisco.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Ive registered to attend the presentation. I thought it would just be a re-run of the keynote and maybe even show off any new products announced. Now Im even more excited !!!!
  • Reply 2 of 28
    I've registered too now. Hopefully there will be some sort of announcement!
  • Reply 3 of 28
    We can only hope.

Grumble grumble sydney-centric grumble grumble grumble grumble
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by staphbaby

We can only hope.

But surely a great event like this would have to be held in australia's, wait, no, asia-pacific, wait, no, the world's, best and coolest city

oh.. by the way, to the moderator---it's not "just hours" after steve's keynote, it will be 8.30PM in san francisco, if i am not wrong, when the Sydney press conference starts... yes, i am a smartass
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Or it could be announcement saying that they will now update the Apple Australia website every 2 days instead of every week
  • Reply 6 of 28
    It just has to be the iTms. I'm registered to go along with Walexx. Cant wait!
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Oh great! It's time for this month's installment of "Let's jerk the Australians' chains".

Quote:

We can only hope.

It's probably invitation only staphy. And I have this horrible feeling they might have left us off the list of VIPs (hard to believe, I know).
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Oh great! It's time for this month's installment of "Let's jerk the Australians' chains".

Maybe we should invite Mr Jobs down here for a good and hard Booting!
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:

Maybe we should invite Mr Jobs down here for a good and hard Booting!

Classic Simpsons episode!

But seriously.... Jobs... if you don't bring iTMS to Australia soon Im going to cry....

And no one wants to see a grown man cry...

JimZip.... any thoughts on this latest "chain-pulling?"
  • Reply 10 of 28
    k28k28 Posts: 5member
    Quote:

oh.. by the way, to the moderator---it's not "just hours" after steve's keynote, it will be 8.30PM in san francisco, if i am not wrong, when the Sydney press conference starts... yes, i am a smartass [/B]

Actually Macworld conference at SF start at 9.00 am of 11 jan which will be 4.00 am of 12 jan in sydney. And i will wake up to see webcast of this.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    yeah.... what he said... i hope i can stay awake to check it out... but then i will be too hyped up to go to sleep afterwards
  • Reply 12 of 28
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    i will attempt a thread crossover. at this event in sydney steve will come on the videolink and announce that the new headless Mac ($599 us) will be available in australia 3 weeks before anyone else at aud$699

...must...stop...reading....macrumors...appleinsid er....
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

i will attempt a thread crossover. at this event in sydney steve will come on the videolink and announce that the new headless Mac ($599 us) will be available in australia 3 weeks before anyone else at aud$699

...must...stop...reading....macrumors...appleinsid er....

Oh man you've got a bad case of it. Oz first for hardware. That's beyond wild imagination. You've started hallucinating I'm afraid. Hasn't anybody given you your pills yet? You need to PM Kickaha and ask could he please send you some of the Anti-Rumor pills asap - the extra strong ones. Hop to it. Supplies will be stretched.

I can see only two possibilities here:

- iTMS. I want to believe but I won't just to be on the safe side.

- An Oz Apple Store. Doubtful would be my most optimistic take on this.

Hardware, nope. Software, why? If it's stuff pertaining to the rest of the world they do their in store thingies. Might be something really boring. "We've invited you here today to introduce you to the new head of Apple Australia....."

Anyway, who's going to get me some free stuff from the launch? I'm sure we can come to some mutually satisfactory arrangement.

Here's my final prediction. Apple will be pleased to announce the launch of iTMS Australia...........

.......in October 2005.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Oh man you've got a bad case of it. Oz first for hardware. That's beyond wild imagination. You've started hallucinating I'm afraid. Hasn't anybody given you your pills yet? You need to PM Kickaha and ask could he please send you some of the Anti-Rumor pills asap - the extra strong ones. Hop to it. Supplies will be stretched.

I can see only two possibilities here:

- iTMS. I want to believe but I won't just to be on the safe side.

- An Oz Apple Store. Doubtful would be my most optimistic take on this.

Hardware, nope. Software, why? If it's stuff pertaining to the rest of the world they do their in store thingies. Might be something really boring. "We've invited you here today to introduce you to the new head of Apple Australia....."

Anyway, who's going to get me some free stuff from the launch? I'm sure we can come to some mutually satisfactory arrangement.

Here's my final prediction. Apple will be pleased to announce the launch of iTMS Australia...........

.......in October 2005.

\ and i thought you were from "a richly embellished fantasy world" ..now where are dem pills... must be some lying around
  • Reply 15 of 28
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Dammit, I gotta work out at Randwick Racecourse on the 12th!!!!!! man, I would love to be there
  • Reply 16 of 28
    For anyone who is regsitered to the Apple Oz Macworld Event:

These are Press and Channel only events. I know for a fact that Apple Australia are going through the rego list, and if you have not registered with a valid company email address (ie either press or channel), you will be culled.

You may get an email telling you of the cull.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Hmmm, and the plot thickens.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by TheGuru

For anyone who is regsitered to the Apple Oz Macworld Event:

These are Press and Channel only events. I know for a fact that Apple Australia are going through the rego list, and if you have not registered with a valid company email address (ie either press or channel), you will be culled.

You may get an email telling you of the cull.

Ha! Told ya. Saved ourselves the ignominy of being culled staphy.

Suffer in your jocks the rest of ya. Oh shit, I'm supposed to be trying to be nicer....

My fellow Australians, my heart goes out to you all.

(Grants. Yeah, I know. But it's two bottles for 50 bucks at Woolies at Dicko.)
  • Reply 19 of 28
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    The most important question is... Can Apple announce iTunes Music Store for Australia while completely avoiding any references to Men at Work?
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Well, by the looks of the report on the AI front page, the event will be to annouce the new Apple Stores and Apple business plans........ I wonder what the NextBtye stores will think of all this?

My hopes for iTMS Australia are fading quickly

<insert excessive profanity here>