more iPhone rumblings

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
canalPDA article

More fuel for the fire, this is interesting though in talking about an Apple branded wireless service along with the phone. Here is one quote,

Quote:

According to Albert Slope, VP of Apple's recently created Mobile Platforms and Services business unit, "creating our own mobile carrier is the next logical step in our strategy of providing the Apple experience to the users of our products. We believe that existing carriers are not offering the flexibility not the performance consumers deserve, so we have decided to move forward, providing cellphone users a full, personal communications and information environent, with the user-friendliness that has become synonymous with Apple's products and services"

"On the other hand", says Slope, "the sucess achieved by the iTunes Music Store has shown us the way to go: by selling songs to consumers at 0,99$ apiece, we have accumulated a valuable expertise that will be most useful for billing them talking minutes".

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    Apple going into the wireless communications business? Pretty wild rumor there. Aren't that many GSM carriers left to buy. T-Mobile?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    "According to Albert Slope, VP of Apple's recently created Mobile Platforms and Services business unit..."

Who and what?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

canalPDA article

More fuel for the fire, this is interesting though in talking about an Apple branded wireless service along with the phone. Here is one quote,

click on the links.

It's a SPANISH FOOLS DAY JOKE !!!

Lo se porque soy español !
  • Reply 4 of 12
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nsousansousa

click on the links.

It's a SPANISH FOOLS DAY JOKE !!!

Lo se porque soy español !

Thanks for pointing this out. It wasn't immediately obvious. Nevertheless, I hope it's a possibility. I think an Apple-powered VOIP world phone that is as easy to use as an iPod would be smash hit of tsunami proportions.8)
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

Apple going into the wireless communications business? Pretty wild rumor there. Aren't that many GSM carriers left to buy. T-Mobile?

I know its a joke so I hate to continue posting on the tread...but I gotta say this...T-Mobile is already owned by one of the world's largest telecomunications companies...there is no way Telekom would be selling to anybody
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Why isn't a VOIP world phone the world's coolest idea right now? Could somebody explain this to me in layman's terms?

The way I see it, knowing nothing of course, is that this will kill the telcos, because it's the internet - once you're on, you're on! Why should phone calls cost anything?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by garyp

Thanks for pointing this out. It wasn't immediately obvious. Nevertheless, I hope it's a possibility. I think an Apple-powered VOIP world phone that is as easy to use as an iPod would be smash hit of tsunami proportions.8)

I thought it was just a coincidence, but judging by the post date, it was no coincidence so your tsunami remark is in very poor taste. Have more respect for your fellow human beings around the world.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by pofo

I thought it was just a coincidence, but judging by the post date, it was no coincidence so your tsunami remark is in very poor taste. Have more respect for your fellow human beings around the world.

Hmmm, 3 posts, Junior... I intended no disrespect. It was merely a figure of speech. You are really jumping to conclusions. Reach out & judge someone, eh? Is that your motto?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    pofopofo Posts: 14member
    Quote:

Originally posted by garyp

Hmmm, 3 posts, Junior... I intended no disrespect. It was merely a figure of speech. You are really jumping to conclusions. Reach out & judge someone, eh? Is that your motto?

I've been around a long time so don't you judge me as a junior. I only have 3 posts because I rarely feel compelled to voice my opinion but your figure of speech was loose and insensitive (besides i fail to see how one's post count is a measure of seniority). I'm sure you mean no ill-intent but I found your remark cheap and offensive.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pofo

I've been around a long time so don't you judge me as a junior. I only have 3 posts because I rarely feel compelled to voice my opinion but your figure of speech was loose and insensitive (besides i fail to see how one's post count is a measure of seniority). I'm sure you mean no ill-intent but I found your remark cheap and offensive.

Simmer down now all. Junior was, (insert diplomatic voice) I am sure just a referral to your "junior" status on this board. The tsunami reference was probably just the fastest biggest thing that he/she could think of at that particular moment.

Thicken up your skin a little bit. Here we discuss Apple products and technology not the imponderable questions of human existance and suffering for that perhaps another board is in order. The age and culture range represented here is broad and diverse. What brings us all together is the shared enjoyment and interest in a technology company.

On one hand, put it in perspective, on the other, try to be a bit more sensitive to the suffering on a grand and almost unimaginable scale.

Now, back to topic.

iphone would rock! Plese, if apple isn't going to be the telecom, then please please please sell the phone unlocked and GSM!!!
  • Reply 11 of 12
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Oh yea, If you want to donate to the tsunami relief effort then go to www.apple.com and click on one of the relief banners.

go apple!
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Doh! Been out of town. Sorry, thought this was extreme but didn't catch the joke part.

On a different note, I went to the Apple home page, and was so impressed with the classiness of their home page. As a the father of a 13 month old, the pictures and videos have been too much to bare. Kudos to Apple for doing the right thing.