Hfsx

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm not really sure where a topic about filesystems would go. Please move this if it's in the wrong forum.

Anyway...

The last I heard about HFSX, rumors were circulating that Apple was actively working on readying it for deployment in a future version of Mac OS X. I also heard that Apple's going to be keeping the same field format that HFS+ used, but with the meanings of the different fields changed and the addition of a version number of HFSX being used. Does anyone know (or have any guesses on) when Apple will reveal this technology? It's something that has me curious. I think that when it appears, Mac OS X will make some quantum leaps forward, but the Classic environment will be left in the dust.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    HFSX has been out since Panther and is simply HFS+ with case-sensitiveness. It doesn't come with any other enhancements.

See http://developer.apple.com/technotes...1150.html#HFSX
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

HFSX has been out since Panther and is simply HFS+ with case-sensitiveness. It doesn't come with any other enhancements.

See http://developer.apple.com/technotes...1150.html#HFSX

That explains that then. I never would have thought it was something that simple.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Well, as the linked article explains, HFSX may in the future encompass further changes. The emphasis being that these changes make HFSX incompatible to HFS+ (e.g., case-sensitiveness doesn't "play nice" with the traditional HFS case-insensitiveness).
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Well, as the linked article explains, HFSX may in the future encompass further changes. The emphasis being that these changes make HFSX incompatible to HFS+ (e.g., case-sensitiveness doesn't "play nice" with the traditional HFS case-insensitiveness).

I'm still curious if HFSX and Mac OS 9/Classic are compatible with each other. If they aren't, that explains why HFSX isn't listed as one of the formatting options in Mac OS X (Client) yet.