Apple Gift Card for iTMS?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I got a Apple Gift Card as a gift (from an Apple store), but I was wondering if there is anyway to use it on the iTunes store? Anyone done this? I tried entering the number in iTunes but it's looking for a 12 digit number and mine is 16 digits.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Nope, sorry.

The Apple Store Gift Card is completely different from the iTMS Gift Card and hence can't be used there.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jambo

Nope, sorry.

The Apple Store Gift Card is completely different from the iTMS Gift Card and hence can't be used there.

That sucks just as bad as ITMS encodeing quality

I was raised on cassettes and (moreso) CDs, and if I have the choice (which i do) i would buy the CD, I WANT QUALITY

up to now every media was better than its pretosessor, 8track to cassette, vinal to CD, butr in this transition from cd to download I fear quality will be lost forever...give me 256-320k or give me CD.

</rant>

other than that iTunes is flawless, imho
  • Reply 3 of 8
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Thanks for that completely off topic reply, a_greer. The only solution I could find would be to buy an iTunes card with my Apple card, but then I will get charged tax for the transaction, which is not worth it. Off to store.apple.com to find something worthwhile...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dogcow

Thanks for that completely off topic reply, a_greer. The only solution I could find would be to buy an iTunes card with my Apple card, but then I will get charged tax for the transaction, which is not worth it. Off to store.apple.com to find something worthwhile...

you will get taxes on all itunes purchases, not the card purchase its self, at least that is how it worked when I bought some at target.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Odd. I've never been charged tax from iTMS, always just shows up at .99 on my statement. When I went to store.apple.com to buy iTunes cards it put tax in the subtotal.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dogcow

Odd. I've never been charged tax from iTMS, always just shows up at .99 on my statement. When I went to store.apple.com to buy iTunes cards it put tax in the subtotal.

I have never been charged a tax either on any of my ITMS purchases. You could possible sell the Apple Store Gift Card to someone if they want it and then use that money to buy songs from the ITMS? I think they can only charge tax if they have an Apple Store in your state, so I'm not sure where you are from but I'm from SC and the closest Apple Store is in ATL. I know it works that way for every other business online so I don't see why the ITMS would be any different???
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Tax Questions

Applicable sales tax is charged for music download purchases where required by local law. The estimated tax noted on your Music Store invoice is estimated and may not reflect actual charges. When this page was last updated, the following states charged tax on music downloads: AL, AZ, CO, CT (1%), DC, HI, ID, IN, LA, ME, NM, ND, SD, TN, TX, UT, and WA.

However, I can get the gift card and type in a fake Oregon address.. I won't pay any taxes.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Here's a solution.

Buy yourself an iTunes Gift Certificate, to be delivered via email, and pay for it with the Gift Card.