Wishful thinking about future SuperDrives.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A couple of weeks ago I purchased a Panasonic DVD Recorder at Best Buy. The thing is a marvel mostly because it burns to DVD-R discs that my PowerBook can read and DVD-RAM discs, which I think it's the best format out there (even with the limited compatability thing).

Anyway, I was just browsing the net for a good DVD-Ram drive and I didn't have a lot of luck, but I thought it would kick ass for Apple to include DVD-RAM burning on the next gen of SuperDrives. It's like having extra hard disks on cheap sub-4 dollar DVDs... they can be erased 100,000 (one hundred thousand) times, and they're random access. No need to erase the whole contents of the disc. They're mah-velous.

Point is/question is, does anyone think future SuperDrives will support this format?!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    DVD-RAM is pretty much dead so don't count on it. Anyway, it's Pioneer's decision, not Apple's, on what formats the drives support.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Well, I wouldn't call it dead. Iomega and LG came out with PC/Mac drives that work with DVD-RAM and Panasonic and Toshiba sell new DVD recorders that support this format. Panasonic also offers DVD players and portable DVD players that support it. It's far from dead, just less common... just like Macintosh computers.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Just for reference the current iMac often ships with Panasonic's slimline DVD writer (I know because I have one). It is meant to support DVD-RAM discs but in fact has it switched off in firmware (I assume). Apple did ship DVD-RAM drives with the original G4s and I agree in that I love it but unfortunately the additional cost of them meant they didn't ever really take off

JVC also supports DVD-RAM in their recorders.

Edit: As an aside I was wondering does the Panasonic DVD recorder support DVD-RWs? Interestingly enough they often only state DVD-R.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Just for reference the current iMac often ships with Panasonic's slimline DVD writer (I know because I have one). It is meant to support DVD-RAM discs but in fact has it switched off in firmware (I assume). Apple did ship DVD-RAM drives with the original G4s and I agree in that I love it but unfortunately the additional cost of them meant they didn't ever really take off

JVC also supports DVD-RAM in their recorders.

Edit: As an aside I was wondering does the Panasonic DVD recorder support DVD-RWs? Interestingly enough they often only state DVD-R.

RW works.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    DVD-RAM's not dead. It fills a niche quite nicely. Pioneer is not the exclusive provider of DVD burners to Apple. LG and Sony have ben used in various desktops, and Matsushita/Panasonic drives are used in the laptops.