Updating from 9.1 to OS X 10.3

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just accuired a used IMac that meets OS X 10.3 requirements. I currently have OS 9.1 and want to upgrade to 10.3 with a fresh install. When I load my OS X 10.3 software I can go no further than a shell message that says no previous version of OS X located. Do I have to go out and purchase a previous version to get to my desired OS X 10.3? Sorry, I am a newbie. It seemed as if there was no way to do a fresh install. The option button never highlighted allowing me to select type of install. Please help.

Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Read this first. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117 .

Do the firmware update first then try to reinstall OS10.3 . Also look to see if your 10.3 disk says upgrade on it. I didn't think that they had upgrade disks for 10.3 but I could be wrong.

reg
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by reg

Do the firmware update first then try to reinstall OS10.3 . Also look to see if your 10.3 disk says upgrade on it. I didn't think that they had upgrade disks for 10.3 but I could be wrong.

Perhaps. Anyway the Firmware Upgrade is good recommendation, if your iMac is G3 500 and below.

Quote:

Originally posted by stfnjay

I just accuired a used IMac that meets OS X 10.3 requirements. ...

Welcome.

Quote:

When I load my OS X 10.3 software I can go no further than a shell message that says no previous version of OS X located. ...

Well, i guess you've got an upgrade CD. This is pretty useless, if you've got no X System at all. No dice

Quote:

Do I have to go out and purchase a previous version to get to my desired OS X 10.3? ...

Probably. Perhaps you've got some friends in the not so far neighb'hood
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Thank you all. I appreciate it. I will try the firmware updates and check to see if it is an update disk.

Take care.