Illustrator Creative Suite problem?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Has anyone run into problems in the new Illustrator in the CS package with others not being able to open and work with your files? I'm guessing it is people who have not upgraded to CS. My friend is reporting this problem, and if I upgrade I could see possibly having that problem with some associates and service providers around where I live. I have read some scattered complaints about the CS version and others who are not upgrading because they like the previous versions much better. I am sitting back at version 8 right now, so I have a decision to make.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Can't you do a File Save As... and save to an earlier version?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Would make sense...I don't currently use it, was just asking if others had this problem. I would think it a pain to have to monitor what version of files you have to save for different providers. The more I read about the tribulations of Ill CS, the less interested I am in it. Everyone has a different situation and opinion, of course. Seems v10 is well liked, and I have always enjoyed v8. Would I have to run v8 in the classic mode in OSX? What about Photoshop...what is the highest version you can run without having to run in classic mode?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    You have to export as Illustrator-Legacy (AI or EPS) to obtain an Illstrator 10-compatible (or earlier) version of the file. Save as doesn't work anymore. Remember that your text-fields will be fragmented. Sad but true.

Ah, and this works only in Illustrator!

You'll find the same option in InDesign CS to export as InDesign-Legacy, but it InDesign 2 won't open it. Never.

Well done Adobe!

• Reply 4 of 4
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by amarone

You'll find the same option in InDesign CS to export as InDesign-Legacy, but it InDesign 2 won't open it. Never.

Well done Adobe!

So what's the point of exporting it as a legacy file if previous versions of the app can't open it?