Alt. to daily notepad of tasks, reminders, notes?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Right now, I use a combination of a yellow legal pad and sticky notes to keep track of my daily list of things to do. My pad is filled with either a phone number to remember, or notes during a phone call, or a reminder of the things I need to do today

But, I was wondering if there is a good program which would take the place of my legal pad. Something that organizes lists into days, that is searchable, quick and easy to use, and that I can keep up and running throughout the day.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Look in your Applications folder, you'll find iCal. It has a simple ToDo manager.

Alternately, OmniOutliner is the 16lb sledgehammer version, but a lot of people use it effectively for ToDo lists.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    OmniOutliner.

The old one was less bloated/capable but the new one can be set up to be much less bloated than it initially seems to be when you first run it.

I'm using it now and it's saving my ass for a project (that, and OmniGraffle).
  • Reply 3 of 4
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jessearl

Right now, I use a combination of a yellow legal pad and sticky notes to keep track of my daily list of things to do. My pad is filled with either a phone number to remember, or notes during a phone call, or a reminder of the things I need to do today

But, I was wondering if there is a good program which would take the place of my legal pad. Something that organizes lists into days, that is searchable, quick and easy to use, and that I can keep up and running throughout the day.

Any suggestions?

I use a combination of this (one for taking notes during phone calls and one for taking all other notes, with each entry marked with date and time of entry), this for jotting down quick to-dos and phone numbers, and one of these for reminders, calendars, to-dos, project management, and everything else.

I would also recommend a combination of MS Entourage (which is really amazing) and VoodooPad.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    My vote goes to OmniOutliner. I have been using it from the week I got my Powerbook (OO is free with pro machines). My to-do list has grown huge, at around 8 pages - previously when I had it on a text editor it became unmanageable after two pages, and that forced me to keep it short and keep lots more things in my head than I'd like.

What I do is, I have a separate column for each thing's priority in addition to the hierarchical to-do list. The priority could be just a number you write in, but I put in a minute or two of initial trouble to define a data type that can have values between 1-5. The benefit is that you get to simply choose between 1-5 in a dropdown menu, instead of having to write a number each time.

Whenever I like, I can choose "Sort" from the menu, and it'll order the categories of things according to their priority. I can minimize the main categories to bring the appearance of the list down to manageable size. But all entries are preserved and ordered.

That VoodooPad looks very good as well. I could try that out, but I am a strong "don't fix what ain't broke" proponent and OmniOutliner is definitely working for me.