Didn't Apple file a patent for this type of thing?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer had filed a patent for a chameleonic encosure for a computer or electronic device. One that could change exterior colors and patterns to suit the whim of the user.

Well, it looks like FrogDesign (Yes, that is their name) has beaten Apple to the punch. A chameleon notebook. I doubt it is any type of threat and it looks like it is in the concept stages, and it also looks to be aimed at primarily the education market. Here is the link:

http://www.frogdesign.com/inside/new...1_gelfrog.html

Not too pretty, but if they pull it off, it would be impressive. I wonder how Apple takes it. I also wonder if Apple has any plans to actually implement this type of tech in an iPod sometime soon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by 9secondko

Apple Computer had filed a patent for a chameleonic encosure for a computer or electronic device. One that could change exterior colors and patterns to suit the whim of the user.

Well, it looks like FrogDesign (Yes, that is their name) has beaten Apple to the punch. A chameleon notebook. I doubt it is any type of threat and it looks like it is in the concept stages, and it also looks to be aimed at primarily the education market. Here is the link:

Not too pretty, but if they pull it off, it would be impressive. I wonder how Apple takes it. I also wonder if Apple has any plans to actually implement this type of tech in an iPod sometime soon.

I think that this is just a design firm, as I recall they did some "Mac" concept designs for MacWorld a number of years ago. The press release looks like it might be an actual product, but this would be a big step on both the hardware and software side for the company to enter the computer market with.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    frogDesign does a lot of conceptual things that never see the light of day... they used to be one of Apple's biggest contributors way back when. They were instrumental in the //c look that carried over into the //GS. They also did a design line for a Mac back about the time the MacII came out, I believe it was code named Snow White. Extremely minimalist, very slick.

I'd be *shocked* if this is a real, physical, shipping product, but it's still quite cool.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 9secondko

To confirm @homenow's suspicions, FrogDesign has been Apple's design firm. IIRC, it still is. It's clients include Sun Microsystems and other leading-edge companies.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by @homenow

I think that this is just a design firm, as I recall they did some "Mac" concept designs for MacWorld a number of years ago. The press release looks like it might be an actual product, but this would be a big step on both the hardware and software side for the company to enter the computer market with.

It's just a concept, not a product. It's like one of those AT&T ads that show futuristic technology they hope to produce someday. Just read the part about automatically matching the student's outfit.

They release these to show off what they can do with design, in the hopes of getting clients to hire them to design real products. Mind you, I wish this were a product, but I'm afraid a low cost computer with a case that can double as a projector is a long way off still.