Counter strike on Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
hi,

Is there anyway to play CS on mac ? I kinda miss playin' it since I bought my PB G4.

thanks

peace []

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Yes, in Virtual PC. But you'll have to run it in 120x40 or something similar to get it playable = Not worth it.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by wanea

hi,

Is there anyway to play CS on mac ? I kinda miss playin' it since I bought my PB G4.

thanks

peace []

I know.. sucks... all good... just gotta head over to one of those LAN places just to play CS. Wish I could play it on my dual G5 setup...
  • Reply 3 of 16
    waneawanea Posts: 62member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JunctionProduce

I know.. sucks... all good... just gotta head over to one of those LAN places just to play CS. Wish I could play it on my dual G5 setup...

yeah, well...it's probably the most played game in the entire world and there isn't a mac version

peace []
  • Reply 4 of 16
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Doesn't it still run on your old PC? As much as you probably love your new PBG4, there's nothing wrong with booting in to Windows every now and then to play games.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    There is a reason why Counter Strike isnt available. The producers of Half Life at almost near completion of the mac version of Half Life cancelled the project citing unreasonable costs to retain PC network compatiability. With no Half Life we have no counter strike.

Sad but true
  • Reply 6 of 16
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    PC for Games + Mac for Everything Else = Perfect Solution.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

yeah, well...it's probably the most played game in the entire world and there isn't a mac version

peace []

Actually, surprising enough, I have read that both Diablo (can't remember if it was 1 or 2) and Starcraft were both bigger in terms of players. I wish I could find the graph (it showed the history of all three, and Starcraft led all of them).
  • Reply 8 of 16
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

There is a reason why Counter Strike isnt available. The producers of Half Life at almost near completion of the mac version of Half Life cancelled the project citing unreasonable costs to retain PC network compatiability. With no Half Life we have no counter strike.

Sad but true

Well, Doom3 is coming to Mac, uses the Source engine, and Valve is releasing 1/2-Life Source and CS Source, so it's a possibility...of course you'll need a G5 to play them...
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPoster

Well, Doom3 is coming to Mac, uses the Source engine, and Valve is releasing 1/2-Life Source and CS Source, so it's a possibility...of course you'll need a G5 to play them...

Umm...I think you are incorrect. Doom 3 uses IDs own engine (they always have). If anything, Doom 3 is just a glorified demo of their engine, which other companies will purchase the rights to and make kill games from.

HL 1/2 uses the Havok engine (www.havok.com). Perhaps the "Source" engine is what Valve has done to the Havok engine?

But no, the two games use completely different engines.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPoster

Mac mini: 2.9 pounds.

~Apple Computer, 2004

2004?

--B
  • Reply 11 of 16
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kupan787

Umm...I think you are incorrect. Doom 3 uses IDs own engine (they always have). If anything, Doom 3 is just a glorified demo of their engine, which other companies will purchase the rights to and make kill games from.

HL 1/2 uses the Havok engine (www.havok.com). Perhaps the "Source" engine is what Valve has done to the Havok engine?

But no, the two games use completely different engines.

Oops, you're right, got the games confused...duh...

Valve Source website

IRT bergz, fixed, thanks!
  • Reply 12 of 16
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kupan787

HL 1/2 uses the Havok engine...

Half-Life was based off Quake 2.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    jonejone Posts: 102member
    You can get it for console, the translation is pretty intuitive and it works extremely well (and it looks great). The Xbox Live experience is so much better than the usual sloppy PC implementation of multiplayer..
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Thought half-life used the original quake engine?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    IonYz is correct. Valve licensed Quake2 engine as a basis for the Half-Life engine, and changed its look and feel in a major way with strategic improvements like the AI system, some character modelling advancements, and (though this is insignificant, they were very nice) flame/plasma effects. I only know this engine as "the Half-Life engine" but it probably has a real name as well. I won't bother looking.

Half-Life 2 runs on the Source engine developed in-house at Valve.

Havok is not a game engine, it's a physics modelling library used by several games as a part of their engines.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Well actually he isn't. Valve got the rights to use the 'Original' quake engine and by the time they finished the game it was a highly modified version of it but the fact is they didn't use the Quake 2 engine as a basis for anything in half-life. I did a google search which suggest the same thing as well as ask a few of our writers here who write for the biggest games site in europe as well as one of the biggest selling pc games magazines in the world and everyone seems to think it was the original quake engine. They may be wrong however.