Carbon Copy Cloner Question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I cant find this answer on Bombich's site. Maybe you can help.

Is it possible to take 2 drives and mirror them (using OS X's Disk Utility) and then clone a 3rd drive to the RAID mirror?

OK, let me explain my goal. I have a Mac that I want to RAID (Mirror) the system drive. It currently has 1 drive (unmirrored) I want to do this:

1) backup the drive

2) clone the drive to an image or another drive, etc

3) remove the drive and keep it if all else fails I can abort and return to this drive. Repurpose the drive at a later date once the RAID is working.

4) add 2 new drives

5) Mirror the new drives

6) "push" the cloned data back onto the new RAID mirror.

7) voila! Now I have a redundant RAID, as opposed to a single drive.

Can this be done? I don't see why not. But It's always nice to get confirmation from others. The Mac is a Panther file server with an external RAID 5 tower for data.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I can't really help but It may just be me but doesn't this seem to be a question better fitted for the Software forum?

Also, CCC's forums have a HUGE amount of info. You could always ask there. I know i was trying to figure something out so i did a quick forum search and i found about 30 people already asked that question. I was quickly able to fix it.

Remember, CCC is donation-ware which means that if you like it and use it, the proper thing to do is donate. I already donated to CCC and i use the program once or twice a month.

EDIT: Made it sound less mean
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

I can't really help but It may just be me but doesn't this seem to be a question better fitted for the Software forum?

Also, CCC's forums have a HUGE amount of info. You could always ask there. I know i was trying to figure something out so i did a quick forum search and i found about 30 people already asked that question. I was quickly able to fix it.

Remember, CCC is donation-ware which means that if you like it and use it, the proper thing to do is donate. I already donated to CCC and i use the program once or twice a month.

EDIT: Made it sound less mean

I want egghead answers, thus I chose Genius Bar. After all, cant *most* things get categorized in a forum other than Genius Bar? :0)

Yes, I paid for my copy of CCC. I love it and depend on it. My company paid for it...trust me!