Apple to slash prices along Cinema Display line

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple will soon slash prices across its Cinema Display product line, AppleInsider has learned.

Corroborating price cut rumors originally noted by MacShrine, reliable sources say Apple is primed to lower the price on all three of its current flat panel display offerings.

The company's 20-inch Cinema Display will drop $300 to $999, while the 23-inch HD display will soon fetch $1799, a $200 reduction.

Meanwhile, the company's mammoth 30-inch HD display will reportedly fall below the $3000 threshold for the first time at $2999.

According to sources, the cuts are a result of both overstocked inventory of the displays and declining prices for flat panel components throughout the tech industry.

The price cuts are expected as early as Tuesday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I wonder if this might be a prelude to introducing a 17" display...for say $499 to go with the rumor $499 iMac (headless)?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Quote:

According to sources, the cuts are a result of both overstocked inventory of the displays and declining prices for flat panel components throughout the tech industry.

And has nothing to do with the fact that Dell now sells a 20" Widescreen LCD with the same resolution and more inputs for HALF the price of what Apple sells its 20" for!
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Don't know if this means anything, but I called our Apple Rep today for a quote on some PowerBooks and Cinema Displays. She is ALWAYS very quick to get back with me with the quotes. She even stated she would have it to me within an hour. That was nearly 12 hours ago and still no quote? Means something?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

I wonder if this might be a prelude to introducing a 17" display...for say $499 to go with the rumor $499 iMac (headless)?

My first thought as well.

I wonder if they have done anything about the pink panther problem?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    I've got a 30" waiting in my Apple store (Dual G5 still delayed) so I would love a bit of a price drop off it. I wonder since I ordered it a little while ago will I have to pay the old price or possible new price?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Can you see Ives designing a fantastic looking headless iMac and NOT designing a display that matches it? Wide screen 17" in white - maybe the Al stand from the pro range?

the rumored price reductions will allow more people to move into larger Apple displays. I have the 23" at work and love it.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

Wide screen 17" in white - maybe the Al stand from the pro range?

That's exactly what I expect. The old 17" needs to go!
  • Reply 8 of 13
    i don't really think apple is going to release another monitor just to couple with this lower end imac computer. i think some people are missing the point of what such a computer is intended for.

its supposed to be just a box so new buyers will be able to rip out their old towers or whatever and simply plug their old monitor, mouse and whatever straight back into the new mac box. cheap computer upgrade to the mac world. if people want a new monitor, i'm sure apple is the state of mind that what lcds they sell as the moment, should be sufficient.

rumors have it the current lcds are just about to drop some more in price. it sounds like some people want cheaper monitors for the new imac box. really since when has apple products been cheap; they are a premium product to windows boxes. if you want the lcd over your old monitor you'll have to just pay for it - or start considering a real imac with screen included.

this is the apple business strategy here.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    display prices just been 'slashed' in the uk...

the store was down for a couple of hours, then was up again for about a minute. Now it's updating again!

From what I can remember seeing, the price of the 20 inch was about £600 and the 30 inch around £2000 (a massive drop of £500). Can't remember the 23inch price.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I purchased the Dell 2005FPW (20 inch wide lcd) in December to hook up to my 12inch PB 133MHZ. I'm now sending my second replacement back for a full refund. The "baclight bleeding" of these monitors is horrible. Not visible when working in bright light, but when you work in a dark room, or trying to watch a DVD in a moderatley dark room - all four corners of the monitor leak HUGE amount of light - very distracting and annoying.

This doesn't mean the Apple monitors are any better - they are not. They don't seem to suffer from backlight leaks- but the overall color quality is inferior to the Dell monitor. Even the models i've seen on display in stores suffer this "pink haze" across the monitor. Given the choice I'll tak the backligt over the pink haze - Dell has a better return policy for LCD as well - 100% satisfaction or 100% money returned.

If you really need a large LCD, Dell's is better value and quality, even though it has its shortcomings.

Mark

mistral4.7
  • Reply 11 of 13
    20 in - $999

23 in - $1799

30 in - $2999

At the store now...
  • Reply 12 of 13
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Displays have been overpriced for a long time. Their 17" was like $100 more then this NEC which had way better specs. Plus that monitor is the same one they made for years & years. Came out with the cube if im not mistaking. I allways wonder why Apple thinks so different
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

Displays have been overpriced for a long time. Their 17" was like $100 more then this NEC which had way better specs. Plus that monitor is the same one they made for years & years. Came out with the cube if im not mistaking. I allways wonder why Apple thinks so different

You may wish to visit the Apple Store and get your facts straight. Apple sells 20, 23 and 30 models currently -- the monitors being discussed are an Aluminum bezel design that Apple introduced last year.

If you still feel they're overpriced, don't buy one, but making generalizations based on outdated/bad information is wrong.