Upcoming Widescreen Desktop Displays From Apple

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
From MacWhispers:

Complete Specs For New Apple Display Line

Combining information from a variety of OEM sources, we have been able to develop a complete set of specifications for the soon to be released Apple LCD display line. That new line will feature award quality ergonomics, with the much-missed tilt and height adjustability omitted from the current displays. Expected within no more than 45-days, the new line will consist of:

23-inch - 1920x1200 - $2999.00

20.1-inch - 1600x1024 - $1799.00

17.0-inch - 1440x900 - $799.00

All three displays will still support only Apple's proprietary ADC connector, and will be swathed in crystalline gleaming transparent plastics and chrome.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 100
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The problem with this layout is that at 20.1" Apple would offer a bit less than the competition for quite a bit more. 1600x1200 20" displays sell in the 1500-1700USD region. Though Apple would offer an aesthetically pleasing widescreen ratio, they would offer less overall screen real-estate. The display shouldn't cost more than those competing products which do offer a bit more space. 1500, max.

Even 17" displays have dropped well down from 799USD, I'm buyiing very good 17" LCD's for about 900 Canadian, and budget models for 700 (and sometimes less). While Apple would position their unit as a high-end display, even at 799, it'd still be 50% more expensive than comparable product. It needs to be in the 599-699 range.

The only good deals in the Apple line-up are the 22 and 23" displays, their smaller panels are extremely overpriced. The 20" @ 1799 is about 300USD too expensive.
  • Reply 2 of 100
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I am going to say this again.

As long as those Apple Displays still have ADC connector and 1 yr warranty. No matter how cool they look I will never buy any of them

As for 20.1" LCD. Formac's Gallery is so far the best choice. I have seen it in person. Liking it.

As for 23" wide screen......I would want the SONY instead.....at least it allows multiple computer sharing and with 3 year warranty.

[ 01-23-2003: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 100
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    The 20.1 inch will be a 16 x 12 (same glass as the Formac)
  • Reply 4 of 100
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Leonis, ADC is awesome. I just set up three dual 867 with 17 displays and the hook up was so fast and easy. Much less wire clutter and in small cubes this is a godsend. Each of our cubes has only 2 power outlets.
  • Reply 5 of 100
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    [quote]Originally posted by vinney57:

<strong>The 20.1 inch will be a 16 x 12 (same glass as the Formac)</strong><hr></blockquote>

not according to the names apple uses:

"20.1 HD cinema-display"

instead of:

"20.1 studio-display"

maybe the put the same screen on a imac. that would be so sweet
  • Reply 6 of 100
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    And where does that name come from exactly?
  • Reply 7 of 100
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    One year warranty is really too risky for such expensive investments....

But i really do like the 17" more competitive price now.
  • Reply 8 of 100
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>Leonis, ADC is awesome. I just set up three dual 867 with 17 displays and the hook up was so fast and easy. Much less wire clutter and in small cubes this is a godsend. Each of our cubes has only 2 power outlets.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Think sharing.

I have more than one machine using the same monitor. The ADC switch box is way tooooooooooo expensive......500 bucks!

On the other hand.....the SONY 23" has the same price (assuming the later Apple price cut is correct) but it does allow multiple machine sharing BUILT-IN
  • Reply 9 of 100
    gargar Posts: 1,201member

<strong>And where does that name come from exactly?</strong><hr></blockquote>

from: <a href="http://tco.networks.nu"; target="_blank">http://tco.networks.nu</a>;

but i think the page that mentions it is down

look at the other threath about this topic:

"20.1 inch Apple Cinema Display" started be jante99
  • Reply 10 of 100
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Leonis said:

[quote] Think sharing.

I have more than one machine using the same monitor. The ADC switch box is way tooooooooooo expensive......500 bucks!

On the other hand.....the SONY 23" has the same price (assuming the later Apple price cut is correct) but it does allow multiple machine sharing BUILT-IN

<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, but the Apple Displays match the Apple machines...!

Aesthetics are important to some...

;^p
  • Reply 11 of 100
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>The problem with this layout is that at 20.1" Apple would offer a bit less than the competition for quite a bit more. 1600x1200 20" displays sell in the 1500-1700USD region. Though Apple would offer an aesthetically pleasing widescreen ratio, they would offer less overall screen real-estate. The display shouldn't cost more than those competing products which do offer a bit more space. 1500, max.

Even 17" displays have dropped well down from 799USD, I'm buyiing very good 17" LCD's for about 900 Canadian, and budget models for 700 (and sometimes less). While Apple would position their unit as a high-end display, even at 799, it'd still be 50% more expensive than comparable product. It needs to be in the 599-699 range.

The only good deals in the Apple line-up are the 22 and 23" displays, their smaller panels are extremely overpriced. The 20" @ 1799 is about 300USD too expensive.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Formac gallery 2010, 20.1 -$1699

Apple 20.1-inch- $1799.00

Where are you getting $300 too expensive? When comparing Apple productts, you cannot compare them to crap (in the sence that product A sitting next to Apple's product is laughable in appearance) Seems Apple is right there, only a $100 difference with the Formac which I would buy.
  • Reply 12 of 100
    Dell is selling 20" flat panels for under $1000USD. Last month, they had a deal where you could get them for $900 bucks (some people even got them for just over $800). These come with 3 year warranties and at the time, they had free overnight shipping. Sure, the have huge bezels, but how much is that worth to you?
  • Reply 13 of 100
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>As for 20.1" LCD. Formac's Gallery is so far the best choice. I have seen it in person. Liking it.]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think you'll change your mind if you see the LaCie/NEC-Mitsubishi 1600*1200.
  • Reply 14 of 100
    [quote]Originally posted by MacRonin:

<strong>Yeah, but the Apple Displays match the Apple machines...!</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's the way to think - go buy some GM Petrol for your car!
  • Reply 15 of 100
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>When comparing Apple productts, you cannot compare them to crap (in the sence that product A sitting next to Apple's product is laughable in appearance) Seems Apple is right there, only a $100 difference with the Formac which I would buy.</strong><hr></blockquote>

LaCie's 20" 16*12 is in that same price range, rotates for landscape and portrait modes (which works *on a Mac* despite what Jobs has been quoted a saying) comes with a height adjustable stand and a desk bracket/arm for total freedom of placement.

Makes the Apple screens look a bit silly, IMO.
  • Reply 16 of 100
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    NEC/Mitsubishi list their panel at 1599 and you're likely to find it on the street for 1500 even. There's your 300. Also, I gave the condition that IF Apple were selling 1600x1024 (widescreen) whereas the others are selling 1600x1200 then Apple should not cost a penny more than others given that it actually offers less resolution than the others. At a same diagnal measurment, a widescreen display would be visibly smaller than a 4:3. At the same res, the game changes a bit, and Apple might feel free to charge a bit more. Personally, I think that NEC dual imput VGA+DVI beats out ADC any day. Display don't need to move around, but they often need to accept imput from a visiting laptop, perhaps service two machines through a switch, ADC is more of a hinderance in these cases.
  • Reply 17 of 100

<strong>And where does that name come from exactly?</strong><hr></blockquote>

(It's also a kind of fish...

)

EDIT: Sorry, maybe this should have gone in the "Something is fishy (iPod)" thread.

[ 01-23-2003: Message edited by: Apple Fuji ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 100
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    [quote]Originally posted by adpowers:

<strong>Dell is selling 20" flat panels for under $1000USD. Last month, they had a deal where you could get them for $900 bucks (some people even got them for just over $800). These come with 3 year warranties and at the time, they had free overnight shipping. Sure, the have huge bezels, but how much is that worth to you?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Umm, I don't think so. Go to <a href="http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productlisting.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=biz&cs=555&categor y_id=5194" target="_blank">their site</a>. The least expensive is $1306.00 - all of them are lower quality monitors - but what else would you expect from Dell (Viewsonics are ok, Planas just plain suck, NEC/Mitsubishi is the only one I'd buy but their specs are just plain lowsy!)

Now the Formac is similar and in some ways better, than an Apple monitor. DVI and ADC, high brightness and contrasts, low dot pitch, and high resolutions (some of those sh!t brands Dull is selling are 1280x1024!! At 20 inches? You gotta be sh!ttin me!)

If you want a crappy looking LCD, buy one from Dell. You get what you pay for in the long run.
  • Reply 19 of 100
    [quote] Dell is selling 20" flat panels for under $1000USD. <hr></blockquote>

Those displays are very poor. I believe they are analog as well.
  • Reply 20 of 100
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by Clive:

<strong>

That's the way to think - go buy some GM Petrol for your car!</strong><hr></blockquote>

You analogy is incorrect. Your analogy would relate to Apple by saying 'buy an Apple HD to put inside the tower' in which case, people buy whatever internals they want.