Apple upgrades Xserve G5 to dual 2.3GHz

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
As predicted, Apple today upgraded its Xserve 1U rack optimized server to deliver dual 64-bit 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5 processors with over 35 gigaflops of processing power per system and the fastest front side 1U server system bus, running at up to 1.15 GHz, providing up to 9.2 GBps of bandwidth per processor and up to three 400GB drives, achieving a groundbreaking 1.2TB of hot-plug storage.

"We improved the best 1U server in the industry with more power and more storage for the same breakthrough price," said Philip Schiller, Apple?s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "With 64-bit processing power coupled with Apple?s legendary ease of use, Xserve G5 delivers unbeatable price performance and manageability. Xserve G5 ships with an unlimited client access license of Mac OS X Server that allows users to connect an unlimited number of Mac, Windows or Linux clients to the server without additional software licensing fees."

Now equipped with dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5 processors and up to 8GB of 400 MHz DDR memory, the new Xserve packs even more computational power, modern I/O and storage performance along with best-in-class management tools in an optimized 1U rack-optimized enclosure. Xserve G5 supports up to three 7200 rpm 400GB Serial ATA Apple Drive modules, offering 1.2TB of internal storage that can deliver 800GB of internal RAID 5 protected storage when combined with Apple?s PCI Hardware RAID card. Two full-length 64-bit, 133 MHz PCI-X slots provide up to 1 GBps throughput and allow easy expansion to high performance storage and networking cards, such as SCSI, Fibre Channel and third party solutions such as InfiniBand.

Xserve G5 ships with an unlimited client edition of Mac OS X Server version 10.3 "Panther" software pre-installed. Panther Server integrates open source and open standards software with easy-to-use management tools that make it easy to deploy popular open source solutions for Mac, Windows and Linux clients.

Apple offers a choice of services and support programs for Xserve including AppleCare Premium Service that offers four hour on-site response and 24x7 technical support. For self-servicing customers, Apple offers complete Service Parts Kits, which address over ninety percent of potential field problems.

Pricing & Availability

Xserve G5 is available immediately through the Apple Store and Apple Authorized Resellers. Xserve G5 comes in three standard configurations or can be fully customized to meet specific requirements. The three standard Xserve G5 configurations include:

a single 2.0 GHz PowerPC G5 processor with 1GB of PC3200 ECC RAM, a single 80GB Apple Drive Module with expandability for up to 1.2TB, dual Gigabit Ethernet on-board, a Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) drive, FireWire 800 and USB 2.0, and an unlimited client license of Mac OS X Server for a suggested retail price of $2,999 (US);

dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5 processors with 1GB of PC3200 ECC RAM, a single 80GB Apple Drive Module with expandability for up to 1.2TB, dual Gigabit Ethernet on-board, a Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) drive, FireWire 800 and USB 2.0, and an unlimited client license of Mac OS X Server for a suggested retail price of $3,999 (US); and

cluster-optimized dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5 processors with 512MB of PC3200 ECC RAM, a single 80GB Apple Drive Module, dual Gigabit Ethernet on-board, FireWire 800 and USB 2.0, and a 10-client license of Mac OS X Server for a suggested retail price that starts at $2,999 (US) per cluster node.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Now I may not know anything but it seems strange for Apple to release new products and lower some prices 1 week before MWSF...Have they done this before? I just dont seem to remember ever seeing them do this before?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

Now I may not know anything but it seems strange for Apple to release new products and lower some prices 1 week before MWSF...Have they done this before? I just dont seem to remember ever seeing them do this before?

Two years ago (or was it last year?) Apple introduced new or updated products every Tuesday in January.

Updates aren't usually mentioned at MWSF, and updated Power Macs could come the last Tuesday this month (that has happened for a couple of years except last year).
  • Reply 3 of 11
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

they have, only for those pieces they don't want to waste precious keynote time on. i mean, while these are important announcements, both XSan and the dual 2.3 GHz XServes have been on the radar for a while. the keynote will still be reserved for whatever apple feels is most important or media-worthy (certainly the productivity software, new iLife updates, iMac mini - or whatever it is, and their crown-jewel os upgrade for the foreseeable future, Tiger).
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

...updated Power Macs could come the last Tuesday this month (that has happened for a couple of years except last year).

Is there any kind of price protection for me if I buy a PowerMac now? I need to buy a good dual-processor tower soon, but if there's going to be a speed bump/price drop I want to wait, but I don't want to wait too long. Does Apple have some sort of 30-day price guarantee or something?

--Dak
  • Reply 5 of 11
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

They did it before the WWDC where the introduced the PowerMac G5, too.

It's a great way to build buzz, and to release a whole slew of stuff at the event in question without making Steve talk about it all on stage.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

they have, only for those pieces they don't want to waste precious keynote time on. i mean, while these are important announcements, both XSan and the dual 2.3 GHz XServes have been on the radar for a while. the keynote will still be reserved for whatever apple feels is most important or media-worthy (certainly the productivity software, new iLife updates, iMac mini - or whatever it is, and their crown-jewel os upgrade for the foreseeable future, Tiger).

this is what I was thinking, there must be several things Steve has to introduce durring the keynote and if he doesnt want to be on stage all day then they need to release some of the news early. This is all good stuff.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    MW is usually for new stuff, not incremental updates. With all the hullabaloo about the headless horseman, er I mean iMac, the real star of the show could be the flashPod. Digital players are hot at the momemt and that's what consumers and Wall Street are really looking for.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Nah, its just these are so low-profile, most-of-the-world-could-care-less releases that why should they waste the time at a MW discussing them. Plus, MacWorlds have tended (esp. over the past few years) to be Consumer shows, not Pro shows, so unless they've got nothing else to talk about, you won't see updates to any of the pro machines there, and most likely none of the 'pro' software (like motion and FCP and all that crap I know nothing about).

And keep in mind that Apple's been trying to break the "MW Release" habit, so they can actually announce/release their hardware when they want, not on some fixed timetable that pisses off others (theoretically this would allow them to release them when they've got production all ramped up and everything, but that rarely is the case).

And I do recall last year they released new PowerMacs at the end of January, because I remember a lot of whining like "How come Apple didn't announce these at MWSF!" and "These should've been announced at the beginning of the month at MW!" (although I have absolutely no idea why they whined, I guess they thought the MW expo was kind of thin).
  • Reply 9 of 11
    powerpcpowerpc Posts: 109member
    Quote:

MWSF is a consumer based expo.....has been for several years now.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dak splunder

Is there any kind of price protection for me if I buy a PowerMac now? I need to buy a good dual-processor tower soon, but if there's going to be a speed bump/price drop I want to wait, but I don't want to wait too long. Does Apple have some sort of 30-day price guarantee or something?

--Dak

Ask your local consumer protection service.

• Reply 11 of 11
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    This announcement creates a lot of room for some weird speculation steam.

A lot of software, and one ore little thing to unveil...