running games on an ibook G4 1.2 Ghz ?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
hi there

can i play games such as warcraft 3, starcraft or neverwinter nights normally on an ibook G4 1.2 Ghz (with 768 Mo) ?

so is this laptop too slow ?

thx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by enzo0511

can i play games such as warcraft 3, starcraft or neverwinter nights normally on an ibook G4 1.2 Ghz (with 768 Mo) ?

so is this laptop too slow ?

I'd also appreciate hearing how well the iBook with 768MB does in Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne.

Buying an iBook tomorrow and in addition to SC, WC3 is probably the only game I'd like to run on it. 8)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    The reqs are only a G3 @ 400 Mhz and 16Mb of vRam so I don't see how the ibook wouldn't do great.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

The reqs are only a G3 @ 400 Mhz and 16Mb of vRam so I don't see how the ibook wouldn't do great.

Well, they can set the reqs anyway they like including "unplayable". My PC with a 800MHz Duron and an original Radeon SDR didn't run it playably at all. I bet the iBook will run it okay, but the only thing that will make me sure is someone who has actually played the Mac version with a 1.2GHz G4, Radeon 9200 or slower Mac and gotten framerates that actually let you play and win on Bnet.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    waneawanea Posts: 62member
    hi,

Both Starcraft and Warcraft 3 will run fine on an iBook G4 1.2Ghz.

peace []
  • Reply 5 of 6
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Both StarCraft and WC3 run fine on my 1ghz iMac. Keep in mind your video card is 32mb less than mine, though the 9200 is a somewhat newer card than the iMac's GeForce4MX....

NWN, I'm not sure, the demo played OK on the iMac, but that was the demo...

Where you'll run into trouble is with the fast shooter games like UT2K4, Halo. I can just make >30 FPS with UT2K3 tweaked out...America's Army is barely playable, and forget about UT2K4. The iBook should be fine for most RTS and RPG games, which is what you seem interested in...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    resres Posts: 711member
    Warcraft III runs ok (stutters a little in large combats) on my 800MHz G4 powerbook. It should run well on the new iBooks.