Connecting mac to HDTV , Whats the best vga-to-Component connection?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Connecting mac to HDTV, Whats the best vga-to-Component connection?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Your video card must be capable of outputing HD, otherwise the best you can do is 640x480 progressive scan. Either way, you simply need a cheap hardware adapter. A VGA-Component adapter should cost less than 20 bucks online. Make sure to get the adapter to 3 component cables instead of 5 component cables.

Your other option is a scan converter. However these are more expensive and don't always have as good picture quality.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I've never seen them lass than $20. But it may still be worth the investment. Sometimes a HDTV that has Component also has a standard VGA. Those cables are usually cheaper and give you the same quality.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ...some new HDTVs have DVI inputs. I'm not entirely sure if you can drive those with regular computer DVI outputs as there are a few variants of DVI interfaces.

Samsung's new HDTVs come with both DVI inputs AND an HDTV tuner for around $600. They are a steal.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mooseman

[B]...some new HDTVs have DVI inputs. I'm not entirely sure if you can drive those with regular computer DVI outputs as there are a few variants of DVI interfaces.

From what I can tell, the cables can be exactly the same DVI-wise, however it is actually called HDMI. There are also two very different types of plugs for HDMI. One can look exactly like a DVI plug, the other looks close to a old serial cable to a palm I have in my desk. I have no info on any differences in the signal transmitted over the wire (Between DVI and HDMI) so they could be incompatible.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsocal

Connecting mac to HDTV, Whats the best vga-to-Component connection?

to add to other posts:

unless you are producing your own HD content, you wont have any videos from your computer that are truly hi-def for quite some time.