running old games (like starcraft) with MacOS X ?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
hi there

i am hesitating before buying the value pack Starcraft Battle Chest including Starcraft and its expansions...

do you know if i can run under macOS X ?

thx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Yes. Starcraft works great on OS X. You only get TCP/IP multiplayer games, though, but I don't think anyone is using IPX anymore. :-)
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

Yes. Starcraft works great on OS X. You only get TCP/IP multiplayer games, though, but I don't think anyone is using IPX anymore. :-)

so can i play online with battlenet also ?

thx
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Yes. There's no problem. :-)
  • Reply 4 of 10
    thx for ur answer
  • Reply 5 of 10
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I recall some patch was needed to run the game under OS X, and I had to find that from the web first. Afterwards SC: BW has ran well.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    socratessocrates Posts: 261member
    To clarify, starcraft and brood war both run perfectly under classic emulation in mac os X, however Blizzard have also released carbon patches for both games which can be downloaded for free and will allow you to run the games without classic.

In either case I highly recommend buying them, however I wouldn't suggest spending more than $20 on them. Note that the PC version ships on the same disk as the mac one in most cases, and you will probably get better prices looking in a bargain bucket in a PC games store than buying the same game in a Mac-only shop or online.

Socrates
  • Reply 7 of 10
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Starcraft kind of blows, though. The campaigns are alright, but it's not much fun in multiplayer. War3 is much more fun, especially if you play multiplayer games. The campaigns are also much better.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    OK what pisses me off is Unreal!! The classic is still well, classic. It won't run in Classic. And the OS X version just sucks. ass. No music, tons of bugs, runs slower on my PBG4 than the original did on my G3 300. Doesn't make much sense now does it. I hope someday they'll put that last 10% in to it and release UT X 1.0!

That and Lunatic Fringe won't run in AfterDark in Classic!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Starcraft kind of blows, though. The campaigns are alright, but it's not much fun in multiplayer. War3 is much more fun, especially if you play multiplayer games. The campaigns are also much better.

I haven't played War3 other than the campaign and a couple custom games, but there is a reason there is a TV channel in Korea dedicated to Starcraft. IMO the multiplayer is good, deep and challenging... and War3 doesn't match it.

Do you have any specific reason you say the multiplayer is not much fun?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

I haven't played War3 other than the campaign and a couple custom games, but there is a reason there is a TV channel in Korea dedicated to Starcraft. IMO the multiplayer is good, deep and challenging... and War3 doesn't match it.

If you can provide at least one example aspect of where WC3 doesn't match SC in multiplayer, I'll be impressed. :-)

It is funny, though, that you first state that you haven't actually played a real multiplayer match of Warcraft 3 (custom games not included as it's something totally different), and then state that the Starcraft multiplayer is better.