News Flash: Jobs kills real-time feed of Macworld keynote speech?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For the first time in several years, Apple Computer may not provide a live feed of its opening keynote presentation at the Macworld Expo in San Francisco.

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs, reportedly miffed over a series new product leaks, has abruptly pulled the plug on the realtime webcast and satellite broadcast of his Macworld Expo keynote, according to an Apple memo forwarded to the MacInTouch website.

The message reads, in part, "Apple will not be making satellite coordinates available. Although the keynote WILL be available on our web site - it will NOT be available until sometime AFTER the keynote is over. They do NOT have a time determined, so it may not be immediately after the keynote is over. "

For the past several years, Apple has provided its loyal fans and customers with a webcast video stream of Jobs' Macworld keynote speeches. The company has also broadcasted the event at its retail stores through satellite.

Inquires at several Apple retail stores confirm that, sadly, no broadcast is scheduled to take place next Tuesday; leaving all those who are unable to attend the expo -- as well as the millions of folks who do not read Apple rumor sites -- on the edge of their seats for at least a couple hours longer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    That's a shame.

I had been hoping to watch it as soon as I could, being ready to switch for a few months now and wanting to see what happens. Oh well, hopefully they'll have it out a few hours afterwards, because I probably wouldn't have been able to see it live anyways.

Now if it's a couple of days...
  • Reply 2 of 74
    AAAHHHH! They are punishing us!

Good thing I'm working tomorrow or else I will be dying in front of the computer waiting on apple's site
  • Reply 3 of 74
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Lots of past Apple Events have been available only afterward. I hadn't realized that none of those were in San Francisco, but regardless, that has been the trend. Guess I'll have to settle for (hopefully) text updates!
  • Reply 4 of 74
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

AAAHHHH! They are punishing us!

Good thing I'm working tomorrow or else I will be dying in front of the computer waiting on apple's site

No, just do what most people do. Go to MacNN or MacIntouch or MacMinute or one of any other sites as they recap as things go on. Big flippin' deal.

And was last year's webcast? I didn't think it was.
  • Reply 5 of 74
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Where's the evidence that Jobs did this because he was pissed about the leaks? That's not in the Macintouch memo.
  • Reply 6 of 74
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Jobs shouldn't be pissed about rumor sites, it keeps interest in his products thriving.
  • Reply 7 of 74
    I think I remember one keynote where it was thought that a broadcast wouldn't be available, but about a day or so before, it changed.

They really ought to broadcast it live on some cable network, it would certainly draw as much audience as an infomercial.
  • Reply 8 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

And was last year's webcast? I didn't think it was.

Yes, last years was webcast.

Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

No, just do what most people do. Go to MacNN or MacIntouch or MacMinute or one of any other sites as they recap as things go on. Big flippin' deal.

Except 90% of the time those sites crash during a big event. They have never had a MacWorld SF keynote without QT, and thats Apple's biggest event. If they couldn't handle it before, they aren't going to be able to handle the bandwidth this go around.

At least the stream was reliable if you got on early and had a good connection.
  • Reply 9 of 74
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Where's the evidence that Jobs did this because he was pissed about the leaks? That's not in the Macintouch memo.

My thought exactly. It's being reported all over the Mac Web that Jobs shut down the webcast to spite rumor-following Mac users But nowhere does MacInTouch give any reason to think any such thing.

Of course Steve Jobs was involved in the decision to broadcast his own Keynote or not. But we know NOTHING of the reasons--business, technical (recent buzz = servers swamped?)... or spite
  • Reply 10 of 74
    well, i hope think secret is enjoying this. they had it coming.
  • Reply 11 of 74
    Please, not this time! This tuesday would've been the first time ever that I had the time and bandwidth to watch the QT Stream via a decent (1Mbps) connection...

• Reply 12 of 74
    It's so seldom that Mac users get to see Steve Jobs that a Quicktime stream is a rather important event. I had told several PC users about it - users that were starting to get interested in the Mac.

In terms of direct business I doubt that there are many people who watch a new product being released and put in an order as soon as the Apple Store is back up, but the excitement generated seeing Steve J live does get a lot fo people motivated to buy (or preach about) a Mac.

Still time for him to change his mind.

One reason for no live performance, by the way, is the attention old Billy Gates is getting from Windows crashing multiple times during the CES show & tell . . .
  • Reply 13 of 74
    Wah... Wah... Boo-Hoo-Stevie-Poo

Steve is a control freak. Believe me, I'm one too. As much as they try, Apple will NEVER prevent leaks. Seeking justice will only do more harm than good. What the F*** are they trying to prove, anyway? It's the information age. NOTHING is a SECRET.

JOBS: Take another hit from the DMT pipe.
  • Reply 14 of 74
    adpowersadpowers Posts: 188member
    Oh great, if this is true, then this sucks. I rescheduled my dentist appointment to watch this (don't know what I was thinking when I scheduled it, I must not have known when it was at that point)! I always love watching the Keynotes live because I am learning about this at the same time as everyone else and there is excitement in the air. It sucks avoiding the Apple front page, rumor sites, and pretty much every other site while waiting for the delayed stream to come online.

And no, no matter what you say, viewing a live text report is not anywhere the same as watching the Steve over QT (or I'd imagine an Apple Store, never actually made it to one for a Keynote). That is another thing! Two years ago we didn't have an Apple Store with a theatre, last year I was snowed in, and this year he is canceling it! Super lame.

Come on Steve, don't disappoint your legions. We provide tons of free press on Keynote day.

Andrew
  • Reply 15 of 74
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    Looks like I'll just have to spend next Tuesday hitting the refresh button on the apple store page from 10am onwards until the store comes back up then.
  • Reply 16 of 74
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    <Steve> "You guys suck so i'm taking my ball and leaving!"

Pretty poor treatment of loyal MacFans I think.

Such an event should be broadcast live on cable and satellite tech TV... good advertising for the platform!
  • Reply 17 of 74
    adpowersadpowers Posts: 188member
    Yeah, come on. The least they could do is put it on public access. Everyone should be fortunate enough to see the almighty Steve speak.
  • Reply 18 of 74
    I guess Steve figures that it's his party: he can cry if he wants to. Well I think he should grow up. Treat his customers like he likes them for a change.

What a tragically brilliant yet messed-up CEO he is.

The MWSF keynote broadcast to my beloved Pasadena Apple Store is a big annual highlight for me. I'm deeply disappointed by this news. I guess it's just one more example of the "members only" elitist B.S. that proves what a corporate sellout the world is. \
  • Reply 19 of 74
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Awimoway

I guess Steve figures that it's his party: he can cry if he wants to. Well I think he should grow up. Treat his customers like he likes them for a change.

What a tragically brilliant yet messed-up CEO he is.

The MWSF keynote broadcast to my beloved Pasadena Apple Store is a big annual highlight for me. I'm deeply disappointed by this news. I guess it's just one more example of the "members only" elitist B.S. that proves what a corporate sellout the world is. \

Q: Do I need to have any basis for an Apple/Jobs rant?

A: Of course not!
  • Reply 20 of 74
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

My thought exactly. It's being reported all over the Mac Web that Jobs shut down the webcast to spite rumor-following Mac users But nowhere does MacInTouch give any reason to think any such thing.

This is cyberjournalism. They don't need facts.

How exactly does one pull a broadcast that was never announced in the first place? Rumor sites love to embellish stories posted by other sites to make it look like they have more information. I'm sure that every bit of hardware that doesn't show up will now be the result of a hissy fit rather than something logical like say, product availability.