News Flash: Jobs kills real-time feed of Macworld keynote speech?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Awimoway

I guess Steve figures that it's his party: he can cry if he wants to. Well I think he should grow up. Treat his customers like he likes them for a change.

What a tragically brilliant yet messed-up CEO he is.

The MWSF keynote broadcast to my beloved Pasadena Apple Store is a big annual highlight for me. I'm deeply disappointed by this news. I guess it's just one more example of the "members only" elitist B.S. that proves what a corporate sellout the world is. \

And the turkey said: gullible gullible gullible
  • Reply 22 of 74
    I'm with Apple on this one. First, why spend money on media streams when product details have already been released to the public in some form or the other. If you are fan enough to look at the stream you are fan enough to look at rumor sites, plus cNet and the likes seem to be picking up rumor stories more and more. If not to report directly, to report the rumor sites have reported it.

Second, it seems like analyst are taking these "rumors" to heart and setting the Apple's stock price to match. So Apple is backed into a corner with the product announcement; if they hold back a product announcement they are punished.

Don't get me wrong, my job loses hours of work from me on expo days. I just sit in front of my computer and wait for the streams. Then I surf the web after checking out the comments. I was looking forward to this one and I'll defiantly miss the wow factor of the stream, but I'm with Apple/Steve on this one.
  • Reply 23 of 74
    hauerhauer Posts: 4member
    Could not care less. Undergoing (minor) surgery at time of keynote. \
  • Reply 24 of 74
    ct77ct77 Posts: 49member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

This is cyberjournalism. They don't need facts.

How exactly does one pull a broadcast that was never announced in the first place? Rumor sites love to embellish stories posted by other sites to make it look like they have more information. I'm sure that every bit of hardware that doesn't show up will now be the result of a hissy fit rather than something logical like say, product availability.

Hear, hear.

Grow up, people -- and remember, nothing is fact until you hear it from Apple -- by whatever means they feel appropriate -- it is their show, right?
  • Reply 25 of 74
    WTF?

This is exactly the reason Steve Jobs dislikes rumor sites... No where does it mention, #1 that the webcast was "killed", #2 That it was in fact "killed" because of the recent product leaks.

Some of you need to pull your head out of your a$$ before your start flaming Steve Jobs and Apple and take in to account that the above accusations are not facts.

There have been several Keynotes that were delayed for what ever reason. THERE will be a Quicktime stream eventually, just not a live stream. Get over it!

Go to MacNN or Mac Central ... They usually post information as the event is happening.
  • Reply 26 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Jobs shouldn't be pissed about rumor sites, it keeps interest in his products thriving.

Exactly! Why should he even care about the various rumor sites. The only way the rumors are confirmed is if Apple takes some action against the site. If Apple ignored these sites, the rumors would remain just that.
  • Reply 27 of 74
    Here's the dumbest theory yet:

It's not being broadcast because there are TOO MANY announcements.

I remember seeing keynotes where Steve discussed hardware, OS, QuickTime, iApps, iPods, iTMS, third-party software and more. I was boggled, overwhelmed; I couldn't process it all. It was like drinking from a fire hose.

When they announce all that the rumor sites report plus HD-based camcorders plus FireWire 1600 plus their purchase of TiVo plus iPhoto 5 allowing you to create web sites where the VIEWERS can order prints directly and so on, normal human brains will explode. Even attendees will be stunned.

That's my prediction.
  • Reply 28 of 74
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macFanDave

Here's the dumbest theory yet:

It's not being broadcast because there are TOO MANY announcements.

I remember seeing keynotes where Steve discussed hardware, OS, QuickTime, iApps, iPods, iTMS, third-party software and more. I was boggled, overwhelmed; I couldn't process it all. It was like drinking from a fire hose.

When they announce all that the rumor sites report plus HD-based camcorders plus FireWire 1600 plus their purchase of TiVo plus iPhoto 5 allowing you to create web sites where the VIEWERS can order prints directly and so on, normal human brains will explode. Even attendees will be stunned.

That's my prediction.

Well, you could also go the other way, and that Apple's not broadcasting it because there WON'T be much to announce, and why waste the bandwidth to show updated Powerbooks, some more update on Tiger, and then a GarageBand 2.0 (unless 2.0 includes groupies in the box, its not going to wow anyone).

Apple webcasts that, and then everyone will be saying "I can't believe Apple thought THAT was worth webcasting and satellite time! I mean, WTF! I wasted two hours for all those hot products I heard about, and Apple goes off and doesn't announce them, out of spite! Well, I'm going to hold off buying another Mac until that headless iMac comes out!"

Yeah, rumors can't hurt apple.
  • Reply 29 of 74
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I just think they can't push enough bits to make the webcast work well. With all the interest in this, if they set a record in the number of people who would have watched this live, the quality of the web streaming would have sucked. That doesn't explain why they're not showing it in stores though...
  • Reply 30 of 74
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    won't this direct MORE people to rumor sites who have reporters in attendance at the keynote? perhaps he's hoping to slashdot them to death?

who knows... i won't be able to afford anything as soon as it comes out anyway. plus, steve's RDF is weakening on me over the years.
  • Reply 31 of 74
    I don't believe it. There are too many people that use the live stream for them not to do it. All the Apple Centers (not stores) around the country will have local press in on that day to watch the Keynote. Then, there's the Apple Stores, the amount of money that each of these Keynotes bring in has been alluded to in the past. It's gotta be good when you get 100-200 Mac crazed fans in all of your stores all in the same day as you announce new products. They buy stuff, left and right. And now, one "Rumors" site picks up a bogus story that the satellite feed is canceled and everyone, for some reason, believes it? Come on. It's not gonna happen. I'll be in my local Apple Store on Tuesday, watching the Keynote.

Mark
  • Reply 32 of 74
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Jobs shouldn't be pissed about rumor sites, it keeps interest in his products thriving.

Well, rumor sites always promise more than what Apple delivers, so people inevitably are left disappointed at these announcements. Rumors build excitement up to the keynote and usually guarantee disappointment at them.

How many times have we seen either complete non-reaction to a big announcement at one of these things or, in fact, a strong sense of disappointment in the crowd and in the coommunity after the real announcements are made? The pricing is always off in the rumors, and people get pissed off when Apple's real pricing doesn't match the OMFG new iMac/iPod/'book for $100!!!1!! hype going into the keynote. You can see it in almost every major announcement broadcast in the last few years, and it surely happens in the Apple Store crowds.

I think Apple just doesn't want to broadcast yet another keynote where the crowd is on the verge of booing once the prices are announced, and people walking out of Apple Stores in a bad mood, projecting a poor image of the place. Probably once they do broadcast it afterwards, they'll edit down those long, awkward silences of crestfallen people who made an emotional investment in speculation.
  • Reply 33 of 74
    bredlobredlo Posts: 14member
    Quote:

Originally posted by moBeOS

I'm with Apple on this one. First, why spend money on media streams when product details have already been released to the public in some form or the other...

That's pretty ridiculous, dude. Live streams weren't created for the rumor hounds (like me.) They were created for Everyman, regular people (90% of whom are pretty much out of the loop as far as rumors). A live QT stream in all their retail stores should be part and parcel of every Apple announcement - it brings droves of people into the stores, and they stay for hours afterwards, milling around, buying stuff.

I think it's unwise (financially speaking) to not broadcast a Steve-note. I won't speculate on whether or not it was pulled, or why, but if it ain't happening, someone (Steve?) has made a very poor decision.

(And no, it wouldn't have had anything to do with Gates' blue screen of death fiasco.)
  • Reply 34 of 74
    I think they're worried about a Janet Jackson-like incident. Phil Schiller is, apparently, a bit of an exhibitionist.
  • Reply 35 of 74
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by daBoss

I think they're worried about a Janet Jackson-like incident. Phil Schiller is, apparently, a bit of an exhibitionist.

and has nice big moobs.
  • Reply 36 of 74
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Well, rumor sites always promise more than what Apple delivers, so people inevitably are left disappointed at these announcements.

Yeah I always wonder about that. On the one hand they breed disappointment, but on the other hand they build interest. I think it may actually be good for normal people (i.e., people who don't hang out in places like this ), in the sense that the press starts talking about it, and there's a buzz, and they haven't studied the rumored specs enough to know that they "should" be disappointed. There's no question that it's bad for the likes of us, though.
  • Reply 37 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by daBoss

You mean you think they're worried something like this could happen?

• Reply 38 of 74
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    That borg is a bit harsh. Blame the rumor sites for bringing Steve to make this decision. Like the guy said ages ago, Apple keeps shit secret because they are always losing out on the major market share of many things. They are constantly under attack from the sharks in the corporate world like M$ who prowl and wait for Apple to reveal their offering so M$ can go steal their idea's and 'PROFIT' far more from them than Apple ever does then try to cut Apple out of key markets. They are trying it now with the iPod, they copy Spotlight and tell us they had it first, Longhorn is way over dues cos they keep waiting for Apple to reveal its offering so they have more time to copy an get idea's.

Personally im sick of it, Apple deserves more and so does its user base. To be privileged enough to use Mac OS X and Apple hardware, i find it a crying shame 95% of the market are using M$ rubbish, the world deserves better than the crap M$ dishes out to us.

What ever Apple does, M$ will sure to be there after the fact to try to take everything away from them for their own financial gain.

I believe Steve when he said leaking their secret products hurts them financially. The excitement is fun an all but the rumors are stealing from the hand that feeds them.

U sign an NDA, if u go open ya big mouth then u deserve anything the lawyers throw at u.

-------------------------------------------------------

p!ss'd @ rumor sites for fsckin things up for us !!!

-------------------------------------------------------
  • Reply 39 of 74
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Thanks for the Borg laugh that was great, Steve reminds me of a Big Billionaire Baby Boo Hooing over what amounts to nothing. News leaking a week before means squat.This is the Digital age remember.

This is still going to be a bare bones watered down handicapped machine thats made out of obsolete old parts from years ago in a new box and cheap price. Move on Jobs! where the heck is the 3.0 G5 or G6 thats what i want to know. Where the heck is a consumer tower with a real videocard? Why not any Mac products in stores other then my Big EGO Apple Stores.

Its like you spoiled my surprise Think Secret Boo Hoo I dont want to play with you anymore.....wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • Reply 40 of 74
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora Steve reminds me of a Big Billionaire Baby Boo Hooing over what amounts to nothing. [/B]

Have link to Steve hooing or did you hear it from him first hand?