News Flash: Jobs kills real-time feed of Macworld keynote speech?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    I think they've done this before, when there was a risk of a technical glitch which would look pretty bad during a live feed.
  • Reply 42 of 74
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Apple computer could run over half these folks Grandma's and they would still be saying how great they drive.
  • Reply 43 of 74
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

Apple computer could run over half these folks Grandma's and they would still be saying how great they drive.

That's what I thought. Thanks.
  • Reply 44 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

Yeah your right, perhaps proof is a little too much to ask for.
  • Reply 45 of 74
    dabossdaboss Posts: 12member
    Quote:

I think they've done this before, when there was a risk of a technical glitch which would look pretty bad during a live feed.

Alas, there still is a dealer meeting WITH a satellite feed, so it's not a terchnical issue.
  • Reply 46 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by daBoss

Alas, there still is a dealer meeting WITH a satellite feed, so it's not a terchnical issue.

I meant with demonstrating software, not with the feed itself. The point is no one knows why there is no feed - sure you can say it's sour grapes, but don't go touting it like it's fact, when it isn't.
  • Reply 47 of 74
    I would definitely encourage everyone to go complain at http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/contactqt.html

It may be too late to have an effect, but at least they will have a record of how many customers they pissed off.

The ironic thing is that killing the feed will only drive traffic _away_ from apple.com and towards rumor sites like AI and TS, who will report on things _during_ the keynote, as opposed to apple.com which will undoubtedly be "under construction" until the keynote is over.

So go complain!
  • Reply 48 of 74
    bc kellybc kelly Posts: 148member
    Hummm, I vote for the bandwidth theory.

Seems over the years, more and more are logging on for the internet stream, and I've noticed a steady decline in solid, reliable connections, even with DSL. But in the way back days was acceptable viewing on dial-up.

This one Tuesday would no doubt set records, and believe Apple has a couple already for previous Keynotes. The insuing discontent among the very many newbies/$tocker$/etc, if they kept getting booted off, would be, well.

Unless the servers can handle the load - which seems to me the more interesting question - Apple better not web-cast.

BC Kelly

Tallahassee Fla

bckelly.com
  • Reply 49 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by fraeone

I would definitely encourage everyone to go complain at http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/contactqt.html

It may be too late to have an effect, but at least they will have a record of how many customers they pissed off.

The ironic thing is that killing the feed will only drive traffic _away_ from apple.com and towards rumor sites like AI and TS, who will report on things _during_ the keynote, as opposed to apple.com which will undoubtedly be "under construction" until the keynote is over.

So go complain!

I must have missed where Apple ever stated that the keynote would be broadcast to the general public. Got a link to that?
  • Reply 50 of 74
    Hello All,

I just noticed something about that memo. This is the exact quote:

"Apple will not be making satellite coordinates available. Although the keynote WILL be available on our web site - it will NOT be available until sometime AFTER the keynote is over. They do NOT have a time determined, so it may not be immediately after the keynote is over."

So, they will not be showing the Keynote on their website and they won't be giving out satellite coordinates. But they don't say anything about showing the keynote in their Apple Stores. So, us lucky few that can take off work and have an Apple Store nearby should still be able to see it live.

Well, one good thing about this rumor is it's only going to last a few more days.
  • Reply 51 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tuttle

I must have missed where Apple ever stated that the keynote would be broadcast to the general public. Got a link to that?

Oh come off it. Such zealotry is the main reason that the majority of the computer world thinks us Mac users are completely bananas.

They never said they would, but they still should. Being open with your customers builds respect and confidence in the company. As an Apple stockholder, these games they play with their customers don't exactly inspire confidence.

For what it's worth, Gates' CES keynote from 1/3/2005 was live webcast. (You know, the competition?)

So once again everybody, let Apple know we want a webcast @ http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/contactqt.html -- even if it's too late for MWSF05
  • Reply 52 of 74
    Quote:

Oh come off it. Such zealotry...

Buh bye!
  • Reply 53 of 74
    Quote:

For what it's worth, Gates' CES keynote from 1/3/2005 was live webcast. (You know, the competition?)

My point exactly ... did you watch that? During that live webcast, Gates got the Blue Screen of Death and embarassed himself and Microsoft.

Here 'ya go : linky

As I said before, Apple has done this before when previewing technology that could fuck up.
  • Reply 54 of 74
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BC Kelly

[B]Hummm, I vote for the bandwidth theory.

[...]

Unless the servers can handle the load - which seems to me the more interesting question - Apple better not web-cast.

This is ridiculous... They make fantastic Servers, and they make the streaming app they use. If *they* can´t do it, who else? Real and his "make beep at the right time" Real Media? Oh, come on...

And as for the bandwith... there is no doubt they could afford that, and I agree, it would help Apple to get even more ppl in the stores, and I am convinced that having a live stream would raise the image of Apple even further...
  • Reply 55 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

My point exactly ... did you watch that? During that live webcast, Gates got the Blue Screen of Death and embarassed himself and Microsoft.

Here 'ya go : linky

As I said before, Apple has done this before when previewing technology that could fuck up.

Naahh.. The journalists are already in attendance at these things. If something doesn't work, we're going to hear about it anyway. I didn't watch the Gates keynote, and you probably didn't either. The failures were reported widely in the news. If Jobs trips on his shoelaces on Tuesday, we'll read about that too, webcast or not.
  • Reply 56 of 74
    Quote:

Naahh.. The journalists are already in attendance at these things. If something doesn't work, we're going to hear about it anyway. I didn't watch the Gates keynote, and you probably didn't either. The failures were reported widely in the news. If Jobs trips on his shoelaces on Tuesday, we'll read about that too, webcast or not.

Good point. It's true, hardly any of us saw the CES crashes, but we definitely all know about them now. Apple can't cover up any sort of malfunction by not streaming the event.
  • Reply 57 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by OrbitPink

Apple can't cover up any sort of malfunction by not streaming the event.

That's only if a meltdown happens, like what happened to Microsoft. If an applications just quits I don't think it's going to make front page.
  • Reply 58 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

That's only if a meltdown happens, like what happened to Microsoft. If an applications just quits I don't think it's going to make front page.

Your point? Jobs has taken the risk for years, why the sudden change? I'll be watching this thing via satellite broadcast come tuesday. We've heard nothing from Apple either way. It'd be nice if a Mac news site would ask Apple for an official word about this.
  • Reply 59 of 74
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OrbitPink

Your point? Jobs has taken the risk for years, why the sudden change?

Well as Applenut keeps pointing out the quality of mac hardware has dropped the recent years
  • Reply 60 of 74
    So has Apple actually made an announcement about this either way? Have any news sites like MacMinute, MacNN, or MacCentral contacted Apple about this matter? If no, why the hell not? They all seem fairly capable of reporting a MacIntouch rumor but dont actually stop to ask the primary source?