Elvis - do the rock

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was just wondering that there is no Elvis

thread. Well yesterday he would have been 70

years old. I memorize a lot. What about you?

Still, i really love his music. *teardrops*

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    cmacma Posts: 25member

Well " The King" still is the greatest despite that he isn't around anymore and that not everybody likes his music for whatever reasons.

Because of that let's check this '68 tv-special out.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    wait, there was no elvis thread? huh. awesomeness that we have one now.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
  • Reply 4 of 15
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

I was just wondering that there is no Elvis

thread. Well yesterday he would have been 70

years old. I memorize a lot. What about you?

Still, i really love his music. *teardrops*

I'm from Elvis's hometown. My great aunt taught him in grade-school. Believe me, when thousands of tourists show up on buses twice a year (his birthday and the anniversary of his death), you tend to remember certain dates.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

I memorize a lot.

That seems to contradict your sig. Maybe it's a German thing.

I miss your Teutonic presence in AO Vox Barbara.

Never had much time for Elvis myself although I acknowledge his immense talent. Just not my bag.

Oh yeah, I've been drinking. Again.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Hic.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

I miss your Teutonic presence in AO Vox Barbara.

Quote:

That seems to contradict your sig. Maybe it's a German thing.

Contradiction - especially self-contradiction - is a

German thing, i suppose.

I'll tell you more later on, something ...

but for the time being take my apologize

for being tight lipped on this subject.

I am completely obsessed with that

"Temporary Insanity Thing." Oh i see

you jumped on that lump too.

warmly
  • Reply 8 of 15
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazychester

Hic.

hick
  • Reply 9 of 15
    I dont know how anyone can revere Elvis and call him the "king" of anything. He stole his music from black musicians in Memphis night clubs.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

I dont know how anyone can revere Elvis and call him the "king" of anything. He stole his music from black musicians in Memphis night clubs.

Actually, he learned the blues when he was a kid living on the wrong side of the tracks in Tupelo, MS. And then later when he was a teenager in Memphis. And when I say "wrong side of the tracks," I'm serious. That part of town was so dangerous that the city moved his birthplace.

Elvis didn't "steal" music from black musicians any more than Eric Clapton or Keith Richards or the Beatles did.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

That part of town was so dangerous that the city moved his birthplace.

really???
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

really???

I'll have to ask my mother for specifics, but Elvis grew up *very* near a part of Tupelo called "Shakerag" or "Shake Rag," which was an impoverished black section of town that was apparently a little community within a community unto itself: lots and lots of culture. This is the kind of community where musicians like BB King and Son Thomas would come and play. I believe it is now the state fairgrounds. [edit: yup. I just checked. It was where I think it is]. In the 60s, the town bought it all out.

Edit again: turns out I was wrong. The house is still located in its original location, it seems. It was shakerag itself that got moved. But the house is easy walking distance from Shakerag, and back in the 30s and 40s, it would've been kind of on the edge of town...it still is today.

Funny how you hear things when you're a kid and don't bother to check the facts. Received "knowledge," I suppose.

Cheers
  • Reply 13 of 15
    cmacma Posts: 25member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

Oh please cut that selfproclaimed 'black'whining!

Elvis didn't 'steal' from the black community! He copied and learned from them.But!... isn't the whole entertainment business based on 'stealing' from the black man and exploiting them?

Elvis had the biggest admiration for 'black music' and he was heavy influenced by it, as he always mentioned it while beeing interviewed by the media.Even on his famous '68 Comeback Special he said: " Our music..rock'n roll music is more is more or less based on rythem&blues/gospel music..it springs from that "

To add more facts:

Elvis was also very popular within the 'black community' cause they saw what he did for them also wich was. bringing black music under the noses of middle-white America who before that never liked or wanted to hear any 'coloured music'

Infact as you might forget: 'black music' was then called 'devils music' and a disgrace and danger to the ears of the 'white men'.

Remember that? Or did you lose some history-facts....If it wasn't for Elvis there wouldn't have been POP,rap,hiphop or whatever music as we know it now!

And to furthermore emphesize that i am right, he was given in 1977 an honorary life-time achievement award by the Black Entertainment industry for his work as an entertainer and as a man wich was then received on behalve of him by the great Stevie Wonder!

So cut the BS about Elvis 'stealing' music from the 'black man' if you don't know the facts!

oh...one small note:

The 'dead' "King" just got his 19th nr.# 1 Hit in the UK Charts as you can see below with a song wich already topped the music-charts in 1958! when you were...an embryo??

• Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

really???

Well, I spoke with my mother this evening, and she swears up and down that the birthplace was moved in the 60s around the same time that Elvis donated the money to build the park on the land.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by CMA

To add more facts:

All sympathy with you.8)

I am also very tired of this disgusting

polemic about "this artist steals from this

and that". It is simply untrue.

It doesn't even touch the truth.

Dedicated musicians (artists in general)

do never steal something willingly or deliberately.

I think they all more or less breathe

Temporary Music (Art). Say, each take a

virtual grasp of each other to express something,

which already is in the air.

Think more, say, Music is a vivid Language

without boundary.

Cheers