Apple discontinues standalone Soundtrack audio software

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
As anticipation runs high just prior to mac daddy of Macintosh trade shows, Apple has reportedly discontinued one of its latest audio applications.

With just a few days remaining before Apple kicks-off the annual Macworld trade show in San Francisco, sources close to the company have informed AppleInsider that the standalone version of its Soundtrack music composition software has been discontinued.

Effective last week, the company reportedly told its distribution partners that all variants of the Soundtrack application and license bundles are "End-of Life" (EOL), and no further orders would be accepted.

Apple's channel partners were also told that all backlog for the product had been cancelled and no automatic order conversion would be offered -- implying that no single product replacement is in the works.

As a standalone application, Soundtrack is a relatively new Apple product that has only been available for purchase for about 18 months. In July of 2003 Apple announced the royalty-free music production tool would be available as its own software application for $299. Previously the software was available only through versions of Final Cut Pro 4, Apple's video editing software.

By the time Soundtrack had been upgraded to version 1.2, the software had dropped in price to $199. And while concrete evidence is lacking, sources speculate that the application was one of Apple's least popular products, delivering little if any to the company's bottom line.

Rumor has it that Apple may have dismantled the application in favor of distributing its technologies through existing, more popular, Apple software applications such as GarageBand and Logic Pro. The company is widely expected to debut a new version of its consumer-oriented GarageBand software next week, which will include support for its rumored self-branded 'Asteroid' audio breakout box.

Separately, sources also anticipate that the company will soon release an update to its industry leading professional grade audio production tool, Logic Pro 7. The update, which is expected to debut prior to the National Association Music Merchants show during the third week of January, will reportedly update the application to version 7.1.

Update: MacNN notes that Apple has removed all mention of the Soundtrack application from the Apple Store and that the product is no longer available for purchase.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    from a produc tmarketing perspective having

a) garageband

b) soundtrack

c) logic express

d) logic pro

was too confusing. Like LiveType was squashed by a much better application Motion. The important thing is for FCP editors to easily create royalty free music without having to be musicians and use loop based mixing software.

What will FCP 5.0 include in leiu of Soundtrack????
  • Reply 2 of 18
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Well, it could still be a product but just integrated into another package like it is now in Final Cut.

Maybe some bits will go into the new Garageband as well?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    We can only hope that GarageBand 2 will allow playing of video, scoring markers, syncing to video.

I guess they won't make a version for the Newton now. I'd love to run video and sync music on my Newton. Sure'd beat an iPod.

On the other hand, it looks like the Cube is back. It'll be the Rectangle and sell for $500. Think about that.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by eat@me

from a produc tmarketing perspective having

a) garageband

b) soundtrack

c) logic express

d) logic pro

was too confusing. Like LiveType was squashed by a much better application Motion. The important thing is for FCP editors to easily create royalty free music without having to be musicians and use loop based mixing software.

What will FCP 5.0 include in leiu of Soundtrack????

That pretty much sums it up. Their audio apps were getting out of control. Too much overlap.

Having LiveType the bundled program still makes sense, although I think they should eventually drop LiveType and just include a nice discount towards Motion. This of course being when Motion capable machines are pretty much standard issue for FCP users.

The article didn't say Soundtrack was being dropped, only that it wasn't being sold as a standalone product. Which makes sense. I like Soundtrack, but I'm not sure anyone would go out of their way to purchase it. Especially not when GarageBand and Logic Express are available.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I love Soundtrack--and it had some unique features, like synching with video.

But the main thing it has over GarageBand is a lot of loops that GB lacks. They could be offered for GB 2.

And the video features could be added to GB 2 as well--or enabled ONLY in a special GB bundled with FC Pro (the way Soundtrack started out--and maybe the only way to get Soundtrack now).

I also kind of like the "pro" look of Soundtrack. Apple's gray "pro" theme always struck me as a little odd and Amiga-like (or Lightwave-like)... but it has grown on me.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    First, let's get the facts straight... Apple will not discontinue Soundtrack from the Final Cut Pro Suite nor from The Production Suite. Yes there was little confusion, but no overlap. All for Audio applications are distinctive. Three are for music creation while one was for using loops and sounds within a video application such as Final Cut Pro. I am still waiting for Apple to create LiveType Express, and Compressor Express. Also, I am tired of hearing that Motion is the replacement of LiveType. Once again they are both essential applications.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    One more thing, I believe that Apple should make a Motion Pro and rename the previous Motion Express and add that to Final Cut Express. These two suites would hurt competition.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Live Type Express - I like that. Perhaps something like that will be put in Keynote 2 (ah, to dream!)
  • Reply 9 of 18
    ogundaogunda Posts: 22member
    I would like that too. Still they should make a DVD Express and bundle it with the express suite and Pro with the FCP Suite instead of The production suite without charging anything more or less! Apple make a statement!
  • Reply 10 of 18
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    FCP 5 should integrate Livetype directly into it.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

FCP 5 should integrate Livetype directly into it.

Livetype is halfway there. FCP 4 integrate LT a bit but it's not fully integrated.

FCP 5.0 might integrate better or it may keep the apps seperate but like Motion your changes will reflect in FCP when you have the app open. No one wants to start up FCP and load Livetype Motion and DVD SP in RAM when they do not need those apps.

Soundtrack didn't make sense as seperate product honestly. I expect it to continue to flourish within FCP. It's natural home.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    ya i definitley called this one the day logic express was released.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by ogunda

One more thing, I believe that Apple should make a Motion Pro and rename the previous Motion Express and add that to Final Cut Express. These two suites would hurt competition.

hate to break it to you, but right now Motion Express would be Motion as we know it, and Motion Pro would be After Effects.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Apple Soundtrack data still lives...

http://www.apple.com/soundtrack/

It's also listed under their Pro applications

http://www.apple.com/software/

Just don't try to buy it. That won't work...
  • Reply 15 of 18
    You know, a little while back I remember reading that Apple filed for a trademark for the name "ProBand". Everyone seemed to think it was the upgrade to GarageBand.

Maybe this is what Soundtrack is going to become, but from a different angle than it was (maybe the standalone of Garageband 2 plus a couple extra features and all the loops of the Jam Packs and from Soundtrack bundled into one package). Anyone care to guess?
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by cseeman

We can only hope that GarageBand 2 will allow playing of video, scoring markers, syncing to video.

Why so? Why make a good beginners Music app

bloated? Hence i do not see any necessity.

Just keep the app straight.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Why so? Why make a good beginners Music app

bloated? Hence i do not see any necessity.

Just keep the app straight.

Soundtrack is a an app for scoring video. If Apple drops Soundtrack it's to their benefit to put those features elsewhere.

By droping Soundtrack they've put themselves in the position of having to bloat another app or LOSE functionality professional video editors need.

I wouldn't doubt that iMovie users would like to use GB to score their videos too. Since iMovie can send chapter markers to iDVD then it might make sense for iMovie (and FCP) to send scoring markers to GB.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    On tread http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=49533

I said the following:

ogunda

posted 01-08-2005 05:24 PM

First, let's get the facts straight... Apple will not discontinue Soundtrack from the Final Cut Pro Suite nor from The Production Suite. Yes there was little confusion, but no overlap. All for Audio applications are distinctive. Three are for music creation while one was for using loops and sounds within a video application such as Final Cut Pro. I am still waiting for Apple to create LiveType Express, and Compressor Express. Also, I am tired of hearing that Motion is the replacement of LiveType. Once again they are both essential applications.

ogunda

posted 01-08-2005 05:24 PM

ogunda

posted 01-08-2005 06:03 PM

ogunda

posted 01-08-2005 10:39 PM

I would like that too. Still they should make a DVD Express and bundle it with the express suite and Pro with the FCP Suite instead of The production suite without charging anything more or less! Apple make a statement!

I was kind of correct. Apple did not discontinue Soundtrack. Nor did they did not create a express version of Soundtrack, LiveType, or Compressor as I would have wished they did. What they did was kind-of-the-same. Integration! In the future I do see Motion and DVD Studio Pro part of the equation. I see Apple creating a DVD Express and Motion Express for FCE. Added these express components to the express package while adding DVD Studio Pro and Motion to the Final Cut Pro Package. This will be a huge advantage over anything currently out there. Okay they did not make express versions of Soundtrack, LiveType, and Compressor. Maybe their is no need because those applications don't compensate the gap in performance/features of Final Cut Pro and Final Cut Express. Remember the Pro version includes Cinema Tools. No need for that to become an Express version. Hopefully Apple listens.