Whois gonna let Mac OSX 10.4 "tiger" pass?

cmacma
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I mean compared to the upgrade from 10.2 to 10.3 it was a major improvement!

10.4 has some nice features and more slickness in the whole system but as whole there aren't that big "wow" add-ons in this new OS of Apple.

More who are gonna stick with "panther" and let "tiger" go pass by and wait for 10.5?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Not me! Automator is the app I have been waiting for ever since I learned about AppleScript but never took the time to learn enough to utilize its powers.
  • Reply 2 of 73
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I think I'll let it pass, for a while.

I got my fingers burnt moving from 10.2 to 10.3, so I'm in no hurry to move to Tiger. It does however sound as though Tiger is going to be around for a while, so I think it's inevitable that I'll move eventually.

I'll just wait for all the bugs to be ironed out before making the move (who am I kidding, they still haven't ironed out all of Panthers bugs with 10.3.7).
  • Reply 3 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by CMA

More who are gonna stick with "panther" and let "tiger" go pass by and wait for 10.5?

Considering 10.5 will probably be 2 years away I doubt many will be able to skip it. The features in 10.5 may not be as wiz bang, but pretty powerfull - core image and video, dashboard, search. Also, developers will be able to tie their applications into the OS more.
  • Reply 4 of 73
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CMA

10.4 has some nice features and more slickness in the whole system but as whole there aren't that big "wow" add-ons in this new OS of Apple.

Dude what would posess you to think that 10.2-10.3 was a major improvement that will supercede the improvement from 10.3 to 10.4.

With Panther we got:

Expose

hundreds of little tweaks.

With Tiger we'll get:

SQLite based Spotlight search/metadata

New more efficient Quicktime

Dashboard=expose for widgets

Automator- very cool

Built in sync functions

Core Image/Video

Core Data

My god it really isn't any contest. Panther was a tweak that improved speed a few cosmetics and added small functions. Tiger is a new base of APIs that developers will extend greatly. The Cool Gut is totally right. IF you plan on "skipping" Tiger then realize you'll be with Panther for at least 2 more years. $129 isn't that much money.

I think Tiger will be prime for upgrading to after it has received it's first 2-3 patches.
  • Reply 5 of 73
    boubabouba Posts: 33member
    the code of the cocoa api is finalized in 10.4, so future applications will all be compatible with that system, like system 7 applications could run on os 9.

10.5 will probably be released at the same time as longhorn in 5 years...

and you are all forgetting about the smart folders, the new ichat!
  • Reply 6 of 73
    10.4 is it people. I don't think all this talk about a $500 Mac is just a coincidence with Tiger coming out. Apple has slowly and methodically rolled out an amazing architecture. It is now and the near future where we will finally get to see the big picture. Get excited about Tiger, very excited. The apps that are going to be built on top of this will blow you away...
  • Reply 7 of 73
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    I cant wait for it to come out.

I have to say I am rather excited. Just what we have seen so far looks exciting, and I suspect we will see more exciting features which will make the wait for tiger even more unbearable.
  • Reply 8 of 73
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CMA

Tiger look sweet as, it cannot be passed! I don't like the Apple 'Start' Menu though.
  • Reply 9 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by CMA

You're kidding....right?

What you need is to watch the Tiger Stream once more, you'll find that it's the other way around. This update offers far more than any of the other updates, which is also why it is so long in the making.

H.264 (can't wait)

Dash Board (can't wait)

Automator (can't wait)

Spot Light (can't wait)

iChat multible video and audio feeds (can't wait)

Core Video (can't wait)

Core Audio (can't wait)

When you shut Tiger down it saves all you were working on and next time you boot up all windows and all programs, webpages, documents etc. is back where you left it (can't wait)

and the list goes on.....

These are all not just new features but groundbreaking to the way we use the Mac. Tiger will change everything.
  • Reply 10 of 73
    tekmatetekmate Posts: 134member
    I won't be at the store the day it comes out but I will definately upgrade at some point.
  • Reply 11 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zab The Fab

When you shut Tiger down it saves all you were working on and next time you boot up all windows and all programs, webpages, documents etc. is back where you left it (can't wait)

That sounds oddly familiar!!! I hope they copy Windows restore ability later on as well!
  • Reply 12 of 73
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    I'll be an early, but not bleeding edge, adaptor (he says vowing that this time it will be different).

Actually, I'll probably be waiting for the FedEx person with trembling hands.
  • Reply 13 of 73
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

10.4 is it people. I don't think all this talk about a $500 Mac is just a coincidence with Tiger coming out. Apple has slowly and methodically rolled out an amazing architecture. It is now and the near future where we will finally get to see the big picture. Get excited about Tiger, very excited. The apps that are going to be built on top of this will blow you away...

such as... mini-Photoshop replacements?
  • Reply 14 of 73
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I'll probably pass just because I'm going to be (hopefully) buying a new Mac a few months later that should come with Tiger preinstalled.
  • Reply 15 of 73
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    I'm not hugely fussed for it - don't see anything in it that I can't live without. It would be nice to have the latest version though, so maybe it'll be an extra small incentive to buy a new laptop in 6 months time, but I certainly won't be rushing out to buy it.
  • Reply 16 of 73
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    I am definitely in for Tiger. Really excited about 10.4
  • Reply 17 of 73
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

Wait a sec...are they FINALLY adding "Save and Shutdown" or "Hibernate" as Windows calls it, where it saves the RAM contents to the hard drive? That would be sweet, and make PowerBook and iBook users very very happy.
  • Reply 18 of 73
    i'm gonna order tiger the second it is announced. a lot of the improvements are under the hood, which are exactly the kinds of improvements I'm looking for right now. I've got the hardware and software, now I just need tiger to come in and make it all more efficient. i tihnk Panther was essential upgrade (for expose) and tiger will be (for core video and audio, not to mention spotlight).
  • Reply 19 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Wait a sec...are they FINALLY adding "Save and Shutdown" or "Hibernate" as Windows calls it, where it saves the RAM contents to the hard drive? That would be sweet, and make PowerBook and iBook users very very happy.

Can anyone confirm this?
  • Reply 20 of 73
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    if someone posts instructions on how to create a bulletproof dual-boot setup for 10.3 and 10.4 on the same machine, i'll get it. but the last time i tried to set up multiple partitions for a new operating system, a lot of third party apps would place their prefs, files, etc in the wrong place(s), and it would cause all sorts of headaches for me. i don't know if that was everyone's somewhat unfamiliarity with os x at that point or what. maybe it would be better this time around. but i can't afford some of my third party apps to go kablooie unexpectedly.