Apple begins manufacturing new iPod mini player

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shalmaneser

Yes, a couple of thousand dollars' worth, in fact. Check out your local electronics store. A 256MB Flash player will run you about AUD$250-$300. The stuff ain't cheap. If you wanted your iPod to cost about the same as your G5, well, that's the way to go.

Ok, if 1 gig of measly storage is going to cost me $1000, you are shopping at the wrong place man.

[QUOTE] sourced from umart.com.au

Secure Digital Card 1024MB(1G)

Internet Price: $139.00

Retail Price: $149.00

Stock level: <5 (in Stock)

Model #:

[QUOTE]

From ABIT as well, so dont give me that crud about inferiour quility. Add into that that that is RETAIL price, so Apple could get it cheaper, so the only thing that's gonna cost much more (oh $50, how will I cope?) is the controls, Then apple throws a three hundred dollar price tag on it, markets it as the miniature mini iPod, and Badda a bing badda boom, that's at least $100 in Apple's pockets.

But, it will never happen, so all this is just wishful thinking. The reason? salamander is right about one thing, a 256mb player WILL cost you $250 - $300 dollars, so apple wont give us one gig for the same price.

*note, all prices are in AUD
  • Reply 22 of 28
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Creative sells a 256 MB one for $229 but I'm inclined to say if you want a flash based player just get a phone that supports SD cards.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Creative sells a 256 MB one for $229 but I'm inclined to say if you want a flash based player just get a phone that supports SD cards.

Or a PDA
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Am I right in thinking that Apple uses the 1" microdrives in the iPod mini? Because I found a 1Gb microdrive here for nearing £190. Compare this to a 1Gb SD card for around £65. Now I know Apple gets major bulk discount for its drives, but surely it'd get bulk prices on flash memory as well?

I'd say this makes the iPod flash very very attractive in terms of specs and pricing I'd guess 1 or even 2 gig for around £100 (about half the price of the mini here).
  • Reply 25 of 28
    well there are plans to release an even smaller microdrive which will have 8 - 10 gb space and manufacturing will begin in second half of the year. A 3G ipod mini could even see the light of day by end of the year.

the truth is for many people, 1000 songs can already be too much. I had a 5GB, 10GB, 20GB ipod and 40GB ipod photo before. It was madness. I hardly fill up 1000 songs and i dun even listen to some of the songs i put in.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    \

Where's my iPod mini 5 GB?