Next iBook Update - When?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Okay, it seems pretty certain that we won't see an iBook bump next week, so when are we likely to see the next iBook update? Fancy something a little nippier than my 800MHz iBook, and it would be nice to have a built in Airport card too, since it is about £50 to buy one. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    The current iBook's graphics card(Radeon 9200) does not support Tiger's CoreImage, so my guess is that they will be updated some weeks before or as soon as Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" is released... March, April, June.. who knows \
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zaelsius

The current iBook's graphics card(Radeon 9200) does not support Tiger's CoreImage, so my guess is that they will be updated some weeks before or as soon as Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" is released... March, April, June.. who knows \

Does this just mean that current iBooks won't be able to run Tiger at optimized speeds or something? I haven't been keeping an eye on Tiger developments, so haven't read much about it. I assume that iBook G4s will still run Tiger?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Does this just mean that current iBooks won't be able to run Tiger at optimized speeds or something? I haven't been keeping an eye on Tiger developments, so haven't read much about it. I assume that iBook G4s will still run Tiger?

No, it just means the GPUs won't support CoreImage, and therefore you won't have some of the GUI tricks and special effects coming out of Tiger. In the future, if people write apps that use CoreImage, you won't be able to run those either.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Okay, it seems pretty certain that we won't see an iBook bump next week, so when are we likely to see the next iBook update? Fancy something a little nippier than my 800MHz iBook, and it would be nice to have a built in Airport card too, since it is about £50 to buy one. Any thoughts?

Wireless is built in on the current iBooks, I think we'll see improvemtns to the iBooks when G5 PowerBooks are released, iBooks and PowerBooks are already too close, threatening PowerBook sales.