iTunes Grouping on iTMS

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Has anyone noticed how iTunes Music Store shows Grouping?

It shows the Grouping of songs above the group of Song Titles so you can see the Grouping as well as the Song Titles below it ...

but how do you do this in iTunes? _It seems to automatically do it in iTunes Music Store only, and I think it's a great thing to have for classical music.

I'd rather just see the Grouping above the appropriate songs, and then have the names of the movements only for the Song Titles, instead of the whole work title which takes up too much room.

I can't figure out how to do that in iTunes. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    If there's confusion to what I mean, go here:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...listId=4324174

You'll see:

Grouping (title of work)

_ _ Song Title (movement 1)

_ _ Song Title (movement 2)

_ _ Song Title (movement 3)

How would one do this in iTunes?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I'd never seen anything from the music store that had "Grouping" filled in ahead of time, so I've been using the Grouping field for my own uses.

I hadn't realized that the way that Grouping is being used in the example you linked to is the intended way for it to be used.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I'd never seen anything from the music store that had "Grouping" filled in ahead of time, so I've been using the Grouping field for my own uses.

I hadn't realized that the way that Grouping is being used in the example you linked to is the intended way for it to be used.

Exactly

I believe Grouping was actually an added feature for the reason of Classical music enthusiasts wanting to group their music this way.

Classical music is grouped differently than Popular music, or anything else that has separate movements to one larger piece of music (sometimes jazz).

Another example ... Everyone knows Beethoven's 5th Symphony ... that has 4 movements, 4 different tracks ... I'd rather put the movement names for each track instead of seeing:

1. Symphony No. 5, Op. 67 - Allegro con brio

2. Symphony No. 5, Op. 67 - Andante con moto

3. Symphony No. 5, Op. 67 - Allegro

4. Symphony No. 5, Op. 67 - Allegro

When i'm looking at this, I already know all 4 tracks are from "Symphony No. 5, Op. 67" ... but it isn't necessary to have it in every single title ... but if I don't that, then you'll confuse every track that you have titled "Allegro" ... thus Grouping solves this confusion ... and would look like this:

Symphony No. 5, Op. 67

1. Allegro con brio

2. Andante con moto

3. Allegro

4. Allegro

But I don't want to see the Grouping list in a column, I would LOVE to see it how it is displayed in the link I have posted above.