News Flash: Jobs kills real-time feed of Macworld keynote speech?

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by macFanDave

... their purchase of TiVo ...

I very much doubt Apple purchased TiVo for one reason. THe numerous articles the other day saying TiVo agreed to hop in bed with M$ at CES.

Google News on TiVo
  • Reply 62 of 74
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by t6hawk

I very much doubt Apple purchased TiVo for one reason. THe numerous articles the other day saying TiVo agreed to hop in bed with M$ at CES.

Google News on TiVo

That could be a sign that TiVo was snubbed by Apple because Apple has similar plans but doesn't want TiVo. Kinda like Apple having no interest in Real, when they know their own Quicktime kicks ass.
  • Reply 63 of 74
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    According to KeynoteUser.com, any sort of live updating from the keynote by audience members has been prohibited.

This is becoming surreal.
  • Reply 64 of 74
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I really get the feeling this will be beyond mere product introduction.

But what?
  • Reply 65 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

In terms of direct business I doubt that there are many people who watch a new product being released and put in an order as soon as the Apple Store is back up, ...

Only fans show this behaviour, i suppose.
  • Reply 66 of 74
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    there is pretty "easy" way of finding the keynote satellite coverage.

This, only if it is not encrypted. If it is, then its futile. But, I doubt it since logistics wise it would be hell to ensure that all receive points have the proper hardware to decode the signal. There are software solutions lik emy company does, but I wont go into that.

So, to find Apple's satellite broadcast coordinates you will need to look at their past history of satellite coordinates. I forget what satellite they use. Anyway, once you have that information, you can go to www.lyngsat.com and find out what satellite it is. Then you can check out what transponders are being used, and then start guessing the frequiencies.

Nonetheless, you can probably only really find out the coordinates and frequencies just before the Keynote and during. You can just scan the frequencies and it should "appear".

If anyone has a mobile satellite antenna and is in the USA, you can try this out tomorrow.
  • Reply 67 of 74
    Hello all,

I contacted an Apple rep about going to the Atlanta Apple Center to watch the Keynote because they always have it there as well. Here is his response:

Quote:

Hello Mark, the "unofficial" word we received on Friday was that Atlanta office would not receive the broadcast at all. Apparently only Apple retail stores and fully staffed Executive Briefing Centers would receive it (The Atlanta Market Center is not a fully staffed Executive Briefing Center). The broadcast team has still not given us the final official word but it does not look promising. I thought you may want to make plans to go to an Apple store. If/when I hear anything different, will let you know.

So, it looks like the Keynote WILL BE SHOWN AT THE APPLE STORES. So, everyone who has an Apple Store near them should go and tell them that they should have had a Quicktime stream as well.

Well, if anyone else in Atlanta is going to the Lenox Apple Store.. I'll see you there.
  • Reply 67 of 74
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    perhaps the crowd in attendance will have to sign a collective NDA and say the pledge of apple allegiance before steve takes the stage??? perhaps on-stage snipers watching for anyone text messaging??? all airport stations will be turned off prior to starting the show???

i agree. i don't get it.
  • Reply 69 of 74
    ok: for MacWorld 2004 keynote it was the following:

Code:

Ku-band Analog

-- Galaxy 3C Transponder 18 K

-- Orbital Slot: 95 degrees West

-- Downlink Frequency: 12050 MHz

-- Polarity: Horizontal down

-- Bandwidth: 27 MHz

-- Audio Subcarriers: 6.2 and 6.8

C-band Analog

-- Galaxy 11 Transponder 08 C

-- Orbital Slot: 91 degrees West

-- Downlink Frequency: 3860 MHz

-- Polarity: Vertical down

-- Bandwidth: 36 MHz

-- Audio Subcarriers: 6.2 and 6.8

for 2003 it was

Code:

WHAT: Live satellite broadcast of Apple announcements presented by

Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO

WHEN: Monday, April 28, 10:00 a.m. PDT/1:00 p.m. EDT

The presentation will be available via satellite at the following coordinates:

Telstar 5/Transponder: 19 KU Band

Orbital Slot: 97 degrees west

Downlink Frequency: 12053 MHz

Polarity: Vertical down

Bandwidth: 27 MHz

Audio subcarriers: 6.2 and 6.8

Galaxy 3R/Transponder: 02 C Band

Orbital Slot: 95 degrees west

Downlink Frequency: 3740 MHz

Polarity: Vertical down

Bandwidth: 36 MHz

Audio subcarriers: 6.2 and 6.88

How do you know if you have C band or Ku? easy. If you have a satellite antenna that you can double as an patio umbrella, its C-band (they're frikken huge). KuBand are small little wok sized things

I'm willing to bet they will have the same satellite at 95 degrees west again. Galaxy.

Take a looksy: http://www.lyngsat.com/g3c.html

If you look down at TP 18 H (transponder 18 Horizontal) its totally empty. 18V (vertical) are Fox News feeds.

So, unfortunately no info about who uses that Transponder. On the otherhand, its still empty, which could/should mean they may use the same one again (seeing that Satellite installers are generally lazy and will use same set ups given that it can be a bitch to do set up an uplink). If something in the past works, they'll use it again.

Now then, with all this information, I have no idea what we can do with it. But maybe some of you satellite people in the USA will be able to tune-in.

Good luck!

PS: Anyone want to do a Quicktime Broadcaster transcoding of the Satellite Broadcast if they manage? ;-)
  • Reply 70 of 74
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by varcos

Well, if anyone else in Atlanta is going to the Lenox Apple Store.. I'll see you there.

I'll show up just for the hell of it. Seems as if the only way to not miss it is just to show up. See you there.
  • Reply 71 of 74
    errr.... lundy ... dude... you're replying to LAST years thread
  • Reply 72 of 74
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I want the last 10 minutes of my life back. Damn you, lundy!
  • Reply 73 of 74
    Nice one...you bastard...made me read all of that...
  • Reply 74 of 74
    looks like we're all gonna have to guess the transponder!