Power Consumption on my G5 20" iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is there a program that can tell me the instant power consumption that my iMac is using from the outlet? I would like to enter it into my house electrical load spreadsheet calculation.

A program that keeps an average power consumption would be cool.

Is even such a thing possible to have a prgram to tell you this?

Thanks,

Eric

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    OS X measures the power continuously, but it doesn't tell you.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Is there a program that can tell me the instant power consumption that my iMac is using from the outlet? I would like to enter it into my house electrical load spreadsheet calculation.

A program that keeps an average power consumption would be cool.

Is even such a thing possible to have a prgram to tell you this?

Thanks,

Eric

I have a powerconsumption-metre (hardware, no software), which tells me, that my iMac G5 20" consumes about 100 Watts in idle and up to 120 Watt under full load...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by equinox

I have a powerconsumption-metre (hardware, no software), which tells me, that my iMac G5 20" consumes about 100 Watts in idle and up to 120 Watt under full load...

Very interesting. Can it tell the power consumption when the machine is in sleep mode?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I purchased me an A/C line splitter and took some measurements for myself.

20" G5 iMac, 1 gig ram (2 slots) and super drive, blue tooth and wireless network card on.

During sleep mode I get ~0.06 amp. The voltage is ~120 on the outlet. That is ~ 7.2 watts. At $0.07 / KW hour (my current rate in East TN), it would cost me ~ 37.5 cents to leave my iMac in sleep mode.

Processor in Automatic (I normally leave mine in reduced unless I am in FCP or gaming)

While I type this I get 0.85 amps or ~ 102 Watts. 30 days, 24 hours a day at $0.07 /KW-hour I would pay $5.21 / month to run my iMac.

Processor on Highest

I had SETI cranking and Nanosaur 2 going. ~1.09 amps so that means 130.8 watts. At $0.07 /KW-hour for 30 days, 24 hours a day it would cost me $6.69 to run my iMac.

It's hard for me to believe that my mac usually uses as little as 100 watts. Go APPLE!! My wife's PC uses around 130 watts (monitor and box combined no addon's) she has a 2.4 ghz pentium with 17" flat panel monitor.

Eric