Firefox sloooowwwww

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey everyone...

Ok, Firefox is just. Deathly slow on my machine. I've got a PB12 with 512 megs of RAM.

Pages with flash on them (like gamespot, or neopets) are barely navigable. Flash games are slow and pause a lot. But it's not just flash. It's everything. Safari is a HECK of a lot faster for everything - even flash (sidenote: flash is still faster on my girlfriend's 900MHz PIII-based WinXP laptop... which is embaressing).

Is everyone having this? This is with Firefox 1.0.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    trash it. remove all preferences, etc. download a new version from www.mozilla.org/firefox and try it out. There seems to be something wrong with the build you have. Remember that there is no official server for downloading the software.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Alright... I'll try that.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Nope... that didn't help ):
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by jethro1138

Nope... that didn't help ):

firefox is slow on my system too. and with a T1. maybe i should downgrade my machine.... or they can start writing better software.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Seems to work fine on my Power Mac (Digital Audio, upgrade to 1.2 GHz).
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by IonYz

Seems to work fine on my Power Mac (Digital Audio, upgrade to 1.2 GHz).

Works great on my G4/650 (Yikes) too.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Try here, this compiled version seems to be better optimized for you Powerbook. Enjoy!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    nd32k3nd32k3 Posts: 187member
    Mozilla was written for the PC, and I used it on a PC for the last 2 or 3 years (I just converted to Apple).

The program has been available (Not Firefox, but the Mozilla Suite) for quite a long time. They have been able to make improvements to get Mozilla on windows to be an amazing application. However, Mozilla just recently made a program for Mac, which is not nearly as good as it is on a PC. However it is very good figuring it is so new. Right now, I use Mozilla, because I like it so much, and want to support them. However, it is not as fast as Safari and has many more "problems." These problems include shutting down every 2 hours or so for no reason, being much slower and not being able to support livescript (which Safari say's it doesn't suppoort but it does).

Mozilla knows about these problems and in their next release or upgrade for mac, will make many improvements, and will be identical to how the program runs on a PC. Stick with it unless you can't stand it because very shortly you will see how Mozilla is great, and it will shortly replace Safari and Opera just like it replaced IE and Netscape on a PC.

Just my thoughts, sorry for the lenght.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nd32k3

Mozilla was written for the PC, and I used it on a PC for the last 2 or 3 years (I just converted to Apple).

The program has been available (Not Firefox, but the Mozilla Suite) for quite a long time. They have been able to make improvements to get Mozilla on windows to be an amazing application. However, Mozilla just recently made a program for Mac, which is not nearly as good as it is on a PC. However it is very good figuring it is so new. Right now, I use Mozilla, because I like it so much, and want to support them. However, it is not as fast as Safari and has many more "problems." These problems include shutting down every 2 hours or so for no reason, being much slower and not being able to support livescript (which Safari say's it doesn't suppoort but it does).

Mozilla knows about these problems and in their next release or upgrade for mac, will make many improvements, and will be identical to how the program runs on a PC. Stick with it unless you can't stand it because very shortly you will see how Mozilla is great, and it will shortly replace Safari and Opera just like it replaced IE and Netscape on a PC.

Just my thoughts, sorry for the lenght.

I have no idea what point you are trying to make. Although I agree that Mozilla is somewhat Windows-centric, the opensource browser has been available on the Mac for just about as long as it has been on Wintel. IIRC, Firefox came to the Mac after the Windows version, but that was so early in its development that it really doesn't matter that much. If you had ever actually downloaded a nightly build of Mozilla or Firefox, you would know this. Furthermore, the Mozilla Foundation has been developing a Mac-only browser named Camino for years now. It is the Foundation's only single-platform browser.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I don't really understand why anyone would want to use Firefox on the Mac. The only reason I can think of is if you're a big Clint Eastwood fan, and fond memories brew everytime you see the splash screen.

Safari is pretty much the same thing, but optimized to run on a Mac.

Flash is slow, period. It's a poorly written crap-job of a program. I'm pretty sure it uses Java, too, for which there is no good JIT Compiler for the PPC.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I don't really understand why anyone would want to use Firefox on the Mac.

Maybe because I want to use the same browser on all my machines, the vast majority of which are not Macs?

It's a personal preference. I find Safari to be ugly, and it's interface not as nice and easy (for me) to use as Firefox.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I don't really understand why anyone would want to use Firefox on the Mac. The only reason I can think of is if you're a big Clint Eastwood fan, and fond memories brew everytime you see the splash screen.

What splash screen? I use it because of the invaluable extensions and customizability. Safari is the "1-button mouse" of browsers. It works fine in its own limited, dumbed-down way.