Sources: Apple never planned live stream from Macworld

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 88
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    So lets analyze the situation:

1. No live keynote.

2. (Possibly) No live satellite feed.

3. Attendees are forbidden from posting real-time events online.

Its simple folks, Apple will split as a company. The extremely successful iPod family has no place at "Apple Computer". The clincher, most of the "Computer" part will go with it. You will see a shell of what once was Apple and instead all focus and revenue will go into small electronic devices.

They will proceed by handing out "special punch" for all attendees to consumer for it will be the time of ascension. Unless your a hardcore iPod fan, then you can just head back to see all the booths. Fun stuff Macworld, wish I would have planned ahead. I could be right you know...

... or I could be insane. Yes, I am certifiable.
  • Reply 82 of 88
    Look at this new thread 'I think Apple Will have live QT broadcast.'

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...highlight=eric
  • Reply 83 of 88
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    You know, on the marketing front, I don't think Apple has that much to concern themselves with on not showing the keynote. Remember when the flat-panel iMac G4 was announced. Where do you think more people heard/read about it? (a) webcast, (b) sattelite feed, (c) mac web boards, (d) internet news sites, (e) TV new shows, or (f) Time magazine, where it was on the front cover.

Hmmmm. Tough one. I bet it was (a), because, as we all know, apparently everyone and their mother get together, make up some popcorn, and sit around watching the telecast on the computer screen (or make a pilgrmanage to an Apple store).

In fact, it probably is becoming too much like the Super Bowl. People watching/attending just to say they're there, not so much that they care about what's going on. In fact, there's more and more people are just watching it not for the announcements, but just to see the celebrities, like Schiller and that head of Adobe they trounce out every year or two. or the fashion idiots, who just want to see what Jobs is going to wear. And then you've got the college drinking crowd that downs a beer everytime Jobs takes a drink of water.

They're probably just trying to get back to the basics.
  • Reply 84 of 88
    Apple uses these live broadcasts to test their live streaming technologies. But, I don't think they are ready just yet with their latest Codec since it will come at the same time as Tiger and the asociated QT update.

And, maybe after Bill Gates recent live screw ups (I watched the stream and it was really bad for Microsoft. Make's Apple seem light years ahead with iLife) Apple decided to minimize the risk. When you are at the top, you have more to lose from live presentations than to gain. So you probably should take the time to edit and pretty up anything you do.
  • Reply 85 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Rumors that Apple may have axed live coverage of Steve Jobs' opening Macworld keynote are bunk, AppleInsider has learned.

Apple's decision not to broadcast chief executive Steve Jobs' keynote presentation during next week's Macworld Expo was likely a result of pre-determined plans, and was not in retaliation to spoiled surprises, extremely reliable company sources said on Friday.

According to sources, live webcast video streams of events such as Jobs' keynote presentations, on average, are costly and yield few benefits to Apple as a company. As a result, in recent years Apple has scaled back on realtime webcasts in favor post-event video-on-demand steams, which reportedly costs the company much less.

Additionally, industry sources claim that preparations for live webcasts with mass appeal typically must be made well in advance of the event. Company sources believe such arrangements were never part of Apple's Macworld to-do list.

Sources further cite post-event streams and authorized product pages and press releases as more favorable avenues of news distribution for Apple -- eliminating the chaos and potential misinterpretations of news reported through Mac websites from realtime feeds.

"It's likely that we won't again see realtime event webcasts from Apple for the foreseeable future," said one informed source. "But this is not an indication that [Apple's] apparent decision not to stream this year's Macworld keynote resulted from recent media reports, nor was it a last minute decision."
    [ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

• Reply 86 of 88
    It is hard to believe Apple's claim that they never planned to broadcase the keynote live. I was invited BY Apple to a downlinked satellite viewing of the Keynote on our campus as has been done in recent years. I accepted the invitation and was welcomed to the upcoming session complete with "Apple provided snacks." Later, I was told BY APPLE that the session had been cancelled.

Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Rumors that Apple may have axed live coverage of Steve Jobs' opening Macworld keynote are bunk, AppleInsider has learned.

Apple's decision not to broadcast chief executive Steve Jobs' keynote presentation during next week's Macworld Expo was likely a result of pre-determined plans, and was not in retaliation to spoiled surprises, extremely reliable company sources said on Friday.

According to sources, live webcast video streams of events such as Jobs' keynote presentations, on average, are costly and yield few benefits to Apple as a company. As a result, in recent years Apple has scaled back on realtime webcasts in favor post-event video-on-demand steams, which reportedly costs the company much less.

Additionally, industry sources claim that preparations for live webcasts with mass appeal typically must be made well in advance of the event. Company sources believe such arrangements were never part of Apple's Macworld to-do list.

Sources further cite post-event streams and authorized product pages and press releases as more favorable avenues of news distribution for Apple -- eliminating the chaos and potential misinterpretations of news reported through Mac websites from realtime feeds.

"It's likely that we won't again see realtime event webcasts from Apple for the foreseeable future," said one informed source. "But this is not an indication that [Apple's] apparent decision not to stream this year's Macworld keynote resulted from recent media reports, nor was it a last minute decision."
    [ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

• Reply 87 of 88
    Deeply disappointing. I had assumed that as it was before, so it would be again. There was something delightfully retro about watching the stuttering low-rez feed in a tiny QT player window from thousands of miles away. Reminded me of evenings spent trying to tune into pirate radio stations on my little tranny back in the late sixties. Give us more feeds, Apple. The punters demand it.