News site snags peek at flash-based Apple iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2015
Correspondents for Italian-based Mac web publication, MacityNet, claim to be one of the first outsiders to catch a glimpse of Apple's flash memory-based iPod digital music player.

Earlier this weekend, while camping outside the front entrance to San Francisco's Moscone Center -- the exhibition hall which is home to the Macworld Expo -- the publication's staff were privy to a sneak peek of Apple marketing materials for an upcoming iPod music player.

Through the Moscone's glass facade, workers could be seen hoisting massive banners advertising a new iPod and sporting the slogan "Life is Random." Before the banners were properly concealed, the reporters observed a 'narrower' white iPod 'without a large display' that, according to the advertisement, would hold 240 songs (approximately 1GB of space).

Although MacityNet claims it was forced to delete all digital photographs containing pictures of the new iPod, its website does display seemingly authentic photos of new Apple marketing materials being assembled inside the Moscone Center. The site also offers a description of the purported player.

"We cannot show the images of the new iPod because we were forced to delete them from our cameras, but we can describe it. It is without any screen (that's maybe because the slogan is "Life is random!"), small, with a shape more vertical than the other iPod. The color is white, and it seems like a small remote control that fits conformably in a single hand."

Sources close to AppleInsider have previously said that Apple's flash-based iPod would debut in 1GB configurations with a suggested retail price between $129 and $149 USD.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    uhh... shouldn't this be in the Digital Hub? I thought iPod rumors went in there.

but anyways, the iPod flash sounds cool.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    This sounds real bad. No screen? Life is random? Does that mean there is no way to control this thing? We are forced to listen to songs at random? Well, I thought Apple could do no wrong with the iPod but if this is true... what's next, a computer made out of cardboard?
  • Reply 3 of 30
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Indeed, "random" would hint at a random playlist with no way to choose songs... Bad.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by m01ety

Indeed, "random" would hint at a random playlist with no way to choose songs... Bad.

Actually I think it is great. The most used feature by far on the iPod is the shuffle feature. I use it almost exclusively on mine and most of the people I talk to that I know with iPods do the same. That is why Apple moved the Shuffle feature to the main menu. With so few songs available on a 1GB drive anyway it just seems to make sense to me.

Peace :-)
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Random eh?

I guess we'll have to wait for Steve to spell out how it works. Have confidence.. it likely won't be herky jerky, like the other stuff on the market.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    FYI - if you are on public property and take a picture, the picture is yours - regardless of the subject matter. You cannot be "forced" to delete it or hand it over (legally). I would say this report is bogus.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JustSomeGuy

FYI - if you are on public property and take a picture, the picture is yours - regardless of the subject matter. You cannot be "forced" to delete it or hand it over (legally). I would say this report is bogus.

Wow, I was going to say the same thing. Exactly how were they forced to remove the pictures? People talk about journalism and all, but you think a "real" journalist would let his camera be taken or forced to delete photos (unless, of course, they were threatened with severe bodily harm)?
  • Reply 8 of 30
    They were probably bribed by Apple spies with free swag. For a free iPod micro, or iHome, I might delete images too. Fair trade for Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    the photos from inside were deleted, the ones taken on private property
  • Reply 10 of 30
    I would, too.... hehehe, but yes, they cannot be "forced" or something like this...

@Topic: Guys, come on... They would never do such a obvious stupid thing.

I mean, who wants a mp3 player that doesn´t even allow the user to switch to the song he wants to hear?

No way... "Abwarten und Tee trinken" ("Wait and drink tea")...
  • Reply 11 of 30
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    that poor guy (putting up the banner)

he's so fired.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

he's so fired.

Heh....that´s the problem with these new glass-buildings :3
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Sounds cool 'cause I ONLY use shuffle songs!

Except I hope there's one button that lets me skip a song from time to time. I'm not always in the mood to hear some particular song and might want to skip it this time.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    TS says it has a screen. Same screen as mini but, 2 lines shorter. This is a new site and I think the banner could of been photo shopped. The banner doesn't look apple for some reason and new sites just post stuff for attention. Like trolls do.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

This is a new site

The site is around since 1996 ad is the main italian site for mac fans. Please do some research the next time before posting.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    s10s10 Posts: 107member
    Macitynet is NOT a new site, but like any other commercial site it needs more visitors to have more possible banner clicks.

The photos are real, but the info on the iPod??

One thing, nowhere the Macity site indicates that the new iPod has NO screen,

Since they have only PARTLY seen illustrations of the new iPod, they THINK it may have no screen, they also THINK it has only TWO buttons, is partly of metal, partly white plastic.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Or maybe it's the Apple made Airtunes remote that should have come with the AirPort Express
  • Reply 18 of 30
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

he's so fired.

No. He's so Steved.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by sappomanno

The site is around since 1996 ad is the main italian site for mac fans. Please do some research the next time before posting.

Sorry, I misread the title as New site. Sorry.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    Life is random (- this gives you control...)

Quiz:

1. Remote control to control apple stuff

X. Media Center to control everything at home

2. iPod without controls

What do you really think?