Sony Ericsson beats Motorola?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Have a look at the releasenotes for the latest firmware update for the K700/K500.

2AE033

- Released on EMMA2 (6/12/04)

- Faster overal speed

- Search function disabled in Asian firmware (Far east only?).

- Search function in phonebook upgraded for non-Asian firmware (C doesn't delete Contact, but letters you've entered, cursor cancels search)

- 900 ms+ delay on answering a call before the microphone was switched on has been fixed.

- Display Smileys in MMS/Browser

- Support of Apple ITunes format .m4a (=.mp4) including speech encoding format AAC

- Stopwatch no longer goes into backlight off mode or sleep mode

- Noise in HCA-20 car handsfree is gone

- The signal strength indicator has changed. Now signal is lowered by 1 bar at a time. Signal is raised to 5 bars if a strong signal is detected.

- Various crashes fixed (e.g. when music is playing an an alarm goes off)

- Various Java / Java 3D fixes

- Various browser / WAP / CSS fixes

- Various fixes to the Calendar application

- Various layout / font size fixes

- Updated Camera driver to change the default flicker compensation mode from 50 Hz to automatic.

- JBenchmark1: 2129

- Jbenchmark2: 125

- Software versions:

Camera 3.10

source: http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=66330

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    I think you will find it means that it now recognises the m4a extension used by iTunes. As currently it does not. I highly doubt that it will play iTMS tracks. It looks like a good update though. I might look into getting the USB dock for my phone if only to get the fix for that 900ms delay when answering a call.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    it will not have itunes support, i work for se, they would probably inform me of such things ahead of time.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cam'ron

it will not have itunes support, i work for se, they would probably inform me of such things ahead of time.

Still, its interresting that SE is supporting the AAC format!

With the help of HYMN you can at least use iTMS songs without transcoding.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    wjmoorewjmoore Posts: 210member
    AAC (MPEG4 Audio) is an open standard that anyone can support. SE are quite good at supporting open standards. That's why their phones work so well with Mac OS X. They use SyncML for synchronisation. The standard vCard and iCalendar (not to be confused with iCal) formats. I also discovered last night that my K700 supports SVG graphics files too.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    A couple of years ago Nokia was the Microsoft of the telephone makers. Good to see them getting beaten for poor innovation ability.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    It's too bad that Apple doesn't seem to be designing a phone of their own.

The interface on these things is abysmal, and needs the Apple touch.

All modern phone have web browsers, which are largely unusable due to screen size issues.

Why doesn't SE, Motorola or Nokia pick up on the whole Tiger Dashboard implementation?

Having people design full screen phone widgets that accomplish specific purposes would be much better than just throwing together a web browser with a 3" screen.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

The reason they specify that it supports .m4a and not "AAC" is that it makes it very clear that it will not support .m4p. This is exactly how it should have been written.

The reason why they specify .m4a and not AAC is because these S-E phones already supported AAC. "m4a" is slightly modified from the standard .mp4 container format.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

The reason they specify that it supports .m4a and not "AAC" is that it makes it very clear that it will not support .m4p. This is exactly how it should have been written.

Good one for SE! Can't wait to see if their other phones will gain this capability as well. That just about clinches it for me.

Screw Nokia for not working well with Macs. I honeslty think Nokia has a long-standing grudge against Apple.

yeah, f8ck nokia and their hollow wannabe-cool style-this style-that bullsh*t