Macworld: Apple introduces Mac mini

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple today introduced Mac mini, the most affordable and compact Mac ever.

Starting at just $499, Mac mini is a desktop computer for anyone looking to get started with Mac OS X and features iLife '05, the latest version of Apple's suite of software for managing digital photo and music collections, editing movies and creating music. Just two-inches tall and weighing only 2.9 pounds, Mac mini redefines design for the sub-$1,000 desktop.

"Starting at just $499, Mac mini is the most affordable way to enjoy Mac OS X and iLife," said Steve Jobs, Apple?s CEO. "Just plug in your display, keyboard and mouse and you?ve got an incredibly compact Mac for a price that almost anyone can afford."

Every Mac mini includes iLife ?05, which was introduced today. Mac mini offers the processing and graphics performance to take advantage of demanding consumer applications with either a 1.25 GHz or 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 processor and ATI Radeon 9200 graphics with 32MB of dedicated DDR memory. Both models come with a slot-load Combo drive for watching DVD movies and burning CDs, and up to an 80GB hard drive for storing digital media creations.

Mac mini includes one FireWire 400 and two USB 2.0 ports for easy plug-and-play connections to popular peripherals such as Apple iPod digital music player, digital still cameras, digital video camcorders and printers. Mac mini offers a DVI interface that also supports VGA so cusers can easily connect to a variety of LCD or CRT displays. The new Mac mini includes built-in 10/100BASE-T Ethernet and a 56K V.92 modem for easy Internet access, and offers optional support for an AirPort Extreme Card for 54 Mbps 802.11g fast wireless networking along with an internal Bluetooth module for the latest in wireless communications.

Mac OS X version 10.3 "Panther" will be pre-installed on every Mac mini and delivers features including iChat AV desktop video conferencing, Mail, Safari web browser, Sherlock, Address Book, QuickTime, iSync, iCal, DVD Player and the Classic environment. Mac mini also comes with a collection of productivity and entertainment titles designed to meet the needs of the entire family, including Quicken 2005 for Mac, Nanosaur 2 and MarbleBlast Gold.

Pricing & Availability

Mac mini will be available in the US on Saturday, January 22 and worldwide on Saturday, January 29 in two standard configurations.

The 1.25 GHz Mac mini, for a suggested retail price of $499 (US), includes:

\t1.25 GHz PowerPC G4 processor;

\t256MB of 333 MHz DDR SDRAM, expandable to 1GB;

\t40GB Ultra ATA hard drive;

\t Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) optical drive;

\t ATI Radeon 9200 graphics processor with 32MB video memory;

\t One FireWire 400 and two USB 2.0 ports;

\t 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet networking and 56K V.92 modem;

\t Internal support for AirPort Extreme wireless networking and Bluetooth;

\t DVI or VGA out (adapter included), composite/S-video out with optional adapter; and

\t Built-in speaker and headphone/line out.

The 1.42 GHz Mac mini, for a suggested retail price of $599 (US), includes:

\t 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 processor;

\t 256MB of 333 MHz DDR SDRAM, expandable to 1GB;

\t 80GB Ultra ATA hard drive;

\t Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) optical drive;

\t ATI Radeon 9200 graphics processor with 32MB video memory;

\t One FireWire 400 and two USB 2.0 ports;

\t 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet networking and 56K V.92 modem;

\t Internal support for AirPort Extreme wireless networking and Bluetooth;

\t DVI or VGA out (adapter included), composite/S-video out with optional adapter; and

\t Built-in speaker and headphone/line out.

Build-to-order options and accessories include up to 1GB of RAM, SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW), AirPort Extreme Card, internal Bluetooth module, wired or wireless Apple Keyboard and Apple Mouse and the AppleCare Protection Plan.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    I'm sure someone else is thinking this:

If I put an Airport card in this thing and added some open source software, I'd have:

Firewall

Print Server

iTunes Server

Wireless Access Point

Secure File Server

Web Server [public and private]

and maybe a Mail Server...

In other words, I can have all the benefits of .mac, plus an Airport Express and a huge Network File Server, for $499 in a box that sits under the couch. That's not a mini mac... that's a Media Center / Home Server. All it needs is Tivo...

Any thoughts on how hard it would be to set all that up (minus the Tivo)?
  • Reply 2 of 56
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    This is going to kill the prices of used old macs -

who would buy a G3 tower or Cube anymore when you

can get this for $499. I wouldn't be surprised if they

sold 1 million units in the first week.

My order is scheduled for Janruary 22 delivery -

I ordered a 1.42/512/80/Airport/Bluetooth/Superdrive

unit - can't wait!
  • Reply 3 of 56
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Two Firewire ports. I need two firewire ports for external booting!
  • Reply 4 of 56
    I think Apple might have missed a few things on this one. Add in a small iPod like scroll wheel on the front, a remote control (sure, make it an additional accessory if they want to) and a few more audio/video input/output jacks, and I would put this thing in my entertainment center...

It would take the place of a CD player, DVD player, video recorder, it could play my iMovies, iPhotos on my TV with my surround sound, I could run iTunes through my home stereo speakers (with the cool visualizer on the big screen).... I think if they added a couple of things, this isn't just a cool, cheap Mac... but it's a cool, full-functioned, entertainment unit from Apple!

• Reply 5 of 56
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zunx

Two Firewire ports. I need two firewire ports for external booting!

Why do you need (2) for external booting. And why do you need external booting.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    speaking of ports, it seems like most anyone planning to use the iMac mini is going to have to invest in a USB hub. No PS/2 ports mean a USB keyboard and mouse, and suddenly you've got no way to connect printer/camera/camcorder/etc.

I know quite a few displays and keyboard have extra ports built-in, but I can think of quite a few friends / family members who wouldn't be able to use this thing for its intended purpose without a hub.
  • Reply 7 of 56
    Love it! It's so tiny I might just have to buy one to hook up to my home entertainment system as a music server and dvd player. How do I turn it into Tivo? Is it possible?
  • Reply 8 of 56
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    OK, well I'm a little disappointed. I just spec'd out what I'd want (1.25GHz, 40GB HD, 512MB RAM, SuperDrive, Bluetooth) and at a minimum it's $700. Also, it runs Panther, so looking at ~$100 to upgrade that when Tiger comes out.

I was hoping with the SuperDrive to get closer to $600 max, not $800. Getting close to $1000 if you do the 1.42GHz and 80GB HD and add in AppleCare.

I don't know. I think the cost of all the "extras" is going to scare some people off. It's too bad the $599 one doesn't have some better extras at least. A barely faster CPU and slightly bigger (by today's standards) hard drive isn't that exciting.

If they'd promise me a free Tiger upgrade, I might be ordering today, but as it is I'm waiting.

BTW, is there any way to do a s-video or composite video out with this?
  • Reply 9 of 56
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Trying to take the Mac mini and "supercharge" it isn't going to work. This is the case with all low end computers. If your plan is to do multimedia then you're better off spending the extra money from the start.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by lhvide

Love it! It's so tiny I might just have to buy one to hook up to my home entertainment system as a music server and dvd player. How do I turn it into Tivo? Is it possible?

It is possible. All you need is a Firewire or USB 2 TV tuner. There are many available, including digital ones (for digital satellite).
  • Reply 11 of 56
    Excellent!!! I have an OptiQuest Monitor that a friend gave me ... a Sun Microsystem's mouse I "borrowed" from work and an Apple Blue&White keyboard ... All i need is the brain and i'll have my frankenputer!!! Ha Ha Ha! Well actually I have all that connected to my iBook already, but being an "all-in-one" my iBook really doesn't need them!

This little computer has a ton of potential. It's already small enough and pleasant enough to look at, that it could easily fit into anyone's home entertainment center. Out of the box, it connects to the TV and to the stereo, can play music (iTunes/CD's), can play DVD's can connect to the internet. With a wireless mouse and keyboard, it could become the first real computer to be used as an appliance in the living room.

It is already perfect for me, as I don't watch TV at all so I would not need recording abilities, but because of the FireWire and USB ports, audio/video in could easily to added on. So could a remote!

Brilliant! Now as soon Tiger is available... I'll run out and buy one!
  • Reply 12 of 56
    Interesting. A nice media server or perhaps a second Mac for the home. Imagine spending $500 for a Mac mini and then if you want a Apple monitor $999 for the 20incher. $1500 total and you don't even have a key/mouse setup. What about speakers too??

Not so cheap to go all Apple. Looks like all updates and new prodcuts were consumer products.

Anyone have any idea when the Pro (PowerBooks, PowerMacs) will be updated???
  • Reply 13 of 56
    I can't stand all this complaining about how the Mac Mini doesn't have this or doesn't have that. IT'S 500 BUCKS! What do you expect? Apple has never done anything like this before! It's like BMW offering a very nice car for $15,000 MSRP.

I can understand people having issues with what's not included on the PowerMac G5 computers. Those babies are stacked and you're paying a fortune for one. It better have the juice.

But we're talking about a $500 Mac. The Mac community has been shouting and screaming for a dirt cheap Mac for many, many years. The day has finally come. January 11, 2005. Be happy that you can buy a Mac for half a G.

As far as the monitor goes, you don't have to buy an Apple monitor. That's the beauty of this. Apple is being flexible. You choose how your money is spent on a monitor. You can use an exisiting monitor you own: $0. Or you can get a monitor elsewhere. Buy a dirt cheap $99 monitor, or a 17" non-Apple flat screen for $300, or get a second mortgage and buy the 23" Cinema Display. It's YOUR decision.

I am happy to see that you can buy an Apple brand keyboard for $30. Mac Mini users may not want to fork over the $60 for the Apple pro keyboard. Kudos again to Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by yikesmoose

I can't stand all this complaining about how the Mac Mini doesn't have this or doesn't have that. IT'S 500 BUCKS! What do you expect?...

exactly. can't anyone just get excited anymore? are we that jaded?
  • Reply 15 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by yikesmoose

IT'S 500 BUCKS! What do you expect?

To not have to spend $100 more a month or two later for an OS update.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    wayewaye Posts: 1member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pmjoe

To not have to spend $100 more a month or two later for an OS update.

Well hell, look, Windows people are used to being messed with like that. The point of this is that my friend who's power supply on his crap windows clone died yesterday might buy this. He is actually thinking of buying a Mac. He has never owned any good computer of any manufacture as cost was his main concern. He is likely to by this because he likes his ipod.

I know it sounds corny, but its true, just like they hoped... I had to pick my jaw up off the floor when he said this today it was like I was in some Apple PR twilight zone.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    It is exactly the right machine for what it is intended. Many people don't need the extra RAM. OSX will run fine in 256MB. I have it running in 196MB of RAM on an old iBook at 266MHz. For non-power users the Mac Mini at 1.25GHz is going to be one very snappy little machine. Excellent job Steve!
  • Reply 18 of 56
    Quote:

pmjoe If they'd promise me a free Tiger upgrade, I might be ordering today, but as it is I'm waiting.

So wait. That has nothing to do with the Mac Mini. You're waiting because you want a free Tiger. Wait then, but don't blame it on the machine or Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    This is by far the biggest news of the expo. A CHEAP Mac? Unbelievable.

I'm watching the stream now and sort of surprised how small a segment it got.

This is huge.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by pubwvj

So wait. That has nothing to do with the Mac Mini. You're waiting because you want a free Tiger. Wait then, but don't blame it on the machine or Apple.

Well, I think a $129 OS update after you've owned a brand new machine model (Mac mini) for two months is a bit absurd. So I think it has a lot to do with the Mac mini. You're selling people a "new" machine and outdating it a month or so later with the upgrade cost being more than a quarter of your $499 initial cost.

To be quite honest, I think some people who don't realize this in advance are going to be downright angry.