PowerMac - Anyone else waiting?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So no new powermacs were announced... And am soon going to be v. desperate for a new g5.

Would you wait? When is the next likely round of Apple announcements? (besides from the australia thing this week)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 632
    Yes.

Waiting
  • Reply 2 of 632
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Perhaps we will see speed bumps announced on Tuesdays in a months time or so once the iShuffle and mMac furor has settled a bit.

I would hope so anyways.

Dobby.
  • Reply 3 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by quamb

So no new powermacs were announced... And am soon going to be v. desperate for a new g5.

Would you wait? When is the next likely round of Apple announcements? (besides from the australia thing this week)

you can actually already buy a Power Mac G5.

ok for real though, no intelligent person was expecting pmac updates today. there might be an update in march, but probably just wwdc.
  • Reply 4 of 632
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Personally I'm waiting for the big WWDC '05 announcement.
  • Reply 5 of 632
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    hmmmph... it sucks needing a computer at such a bad buying time. may be able to stretch to march but already been waiting months (for this weeks apple event).

oh well, guess thats just how it goes with hardware.

must admit- pretty annoyed that the current lineup of powermacs are 6+ months old. am hoping apple keep hold/sight of their pro market, not just the successful ipod market.
  • Reply 6 of 632
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Yes the PowerMac is due for an update, but I think (hope) IBM has a better processor for Apple, and they are working on a better machine, and a new motherboard. I think Apple will be going with PCI-E, and 4 Hard Drive bays again if they can manage to keep the heat down.

Whatever the case I think Apple is going to hold PowerMacs back until they announce Tiger is final at WWDC, and announce a very powerful ProMac at the same time.
  • Reply 7 of 632
    I'm waiting... i have a dual 1.42 g4 and told myself i would wait til dual 3 GHZ before i got a g5.
  • Reply 8 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by quamb

must admit- pretty annoyed that the current lineup of powermacs are 6+ months old. am hoping apple keep hold/sight of their pro market, not just the successful ipod market.

my dual 2.5Ghz is pretty damn fast. I dare you to buy one and see for yourself.
  • Reply 9 of 632
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    It's been since June since they were released.
  • Reply 10 of 632
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

It's been since June since they were released.

And it may very well be until June (2005) when they will be updated.
  • Reply 11 of 632
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

What are you talking about ?
  • Reply 12 of 632
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

If Programmer is waiting, then I'm holding out, too.
  • Reply 13 of 632
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    The spring bump of PowerMacs has ordinarily occurred some time in late January, after MWSF.

If there's a big announcement to make at WWDC '05 then any January revision will probably just be a bump, not anything major.
  • Reply 14 of 632
    When is WWDC?
  • Reply 15 of 632
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

When is WWDC?

Last year it was June 28 - July 2.
  • Reply 16 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

When is WWDC?

Some time in June.
  • Reply 17 of 632
    Are the 2.3 Xserves actually shipping? If that chip is in plentiful supply then perhaps within a month the middle of the G5 line would be bumped up to 2.3Ghz. Then the lineup would most likely be single 1.8, dual 2.0, 2.3 and 2.5.

Are the 2.3s a new chip or are they 2.5s that don't achieve that speed but can the lower one?
  • Reply 18 of 632
    Quote:

Originally posted by OldCodger73

Are the 2.3 Xserves actually shipping? If that chip is in plentiful supply then perhaps within a month the middle of the G5 line would be bumped up to 2.3Ghz. Then the lineup would most likely be single 1.8, dual 2.0, 2.3 and 2.5.

Are the 2.3s a new chip or are they 2.5s that don't achieve that speed but can the lower one?

why hold out for a 2.3GHz pmac when you can get a dual 2.5??
  • Reply 19 of 632
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    cheers for the replies - am thinking of holding out till early feb, in hope of some kind of update. Any update would be nice really- as one has said, they are nearly 7 months old.

If no news then BAM juts going to have to spend the money on something that will be outdated in a few months.
  • Reply 20 of 632
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Last year it was June 28 - July 2.

I didn't realize it was that far away. I hope it's all ready in March then because I just paid my credit cards off.