Lets make an media center application for the Mac mini...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello everyone!

I'd like to invite all of you to work on a project with me.

Seeing the Mac mini would be such a great addition to a entertainment center we need an application that looks great when displayed on a TV.

Here are some ideas I've come up with:

Media center like

-photo slideshow viewing

-easy video recording (via firewire or USB device)

-easy to use a remote with (keyspan?)

-simple interface with large buttons and fonts so you can read it on a tv

Seeing I don't know much about programming I'd like to do the interface design for the application.

I think it would be cool for the appleinsider community to come together and develope a media application for the Mac mini...

Peace

-taco

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    There is already an existing MythTV project that has a nice pre-compiled version of the front-end (movies, music, picture gallery, RSS, weather, etc). You still need to have a back-end box somewhere to serve up and record the video(/audio/pictures/etc). Theoretically you could put the back-end on the same box, but without the option to put in a video-in card, you are stuck with that anyways.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    has anyone used Myth? How well does it run?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Hello everyone!

I'd like to invite all of you to work on a project with me.

Seeing the Mac mini would be such a great addition to a entertainment center we need an application that looks great when displayed on a TV.

Here are some ideas I've come up with:

Media center like

-photo slideshow viewing

You mean like iPhoto??

Never try and reinvent the wheel when someone else is handing you a Ferrari.

Quote:

-easy video recording (via firewire or USB device)

-easy to use a remote with (keyspan?)

-simple interface with large buttons and fonts so you can read it on a tv

You mean like the Dock?

Quote:

Seeing I don't know much about programming I'd like to do the interface design for the application.

I think it would be cool for the appleinsider community to come together and develope a media application for the Mac mini...

Peace

-taco

An external video encoder (MPEG-2? MPEG-4? DV? HD pass-through?), and a Bluetooth remote is all you'd really need. Heck, Salling Clicker can do the latter if you have a BT phone...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Count me in for GUI design.

I can't believe people are screaming for this. As I posted elsewhere, Apple is missing a huge opportunity to stake its claim in the living room and secure their place as THE consumer electronics brand of the next 10-20 years. Steve Jobs proudly puts Apple right at the heart of the convergence of 'computing & media (digital)'. They are, the iLife suite and more prove that Apple is KING for content creation.

They lag behind, however, in CONSUMPTION. The iPod is a superb music CONSUMPTION device (iTunes, is for lack of a better word, a Music CREATION device since it's designed to let you import, organize, and buy music). Where are the other consumption devices? The iPod photo? Sort of. Burn DVD's of iMovies and iPhoto slideshows? Sure, but then why not just burn CD's of my music? Simple. It's about spontenaity and instant access.

We need a portal to iLife from the home entertainment center. I love Tivo. I want Apple next to my HDTV.

So, I bought a Mac Mini and I'm hoping to either myself, or with the help of others build a simple, full-screen interface (hiding underlying OSX) that gives me REMOTE CONTROL (point, push) access to music, photos, movies, etc. EyeHome you say? Yes, but capable of playing and purchasing ITMS songs. Windows Media Center? Absolutely, but more solid and without the evil MS.

Let's do it. It should be pretty simple just using the tools for Dashboard!