Powerbook thoughts

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, so here I am with my New Years goal of switching over from ole' Microsoft to The Big Apple! THEN, out of no where comes my bothersome "must have the most up to date laptop" mentality; and then I read about MacWorld Expo, and ARGH! Now I have to wait like, two weeks, til the big show. I keep hearing rumors of updated Powerbooks, bide my time, etc. etc. you know the drill. SO, the big day comes, and NOTHING. ARGH! part deux!

NOW, my thoughts. Apparently Apple dropped the prices of the Powerbook in many other countries recently (but not the United States, from what I've seen?) I've also checked on the store front, after all of today's announcements; and while iLife '05 is scheduled for Jan. 22 release; iLife '04 is still listed as what is being bundled in the Powerbooks. My thoughts ARE, could they possibly bump up the laptop, as some say they will do, before the BIG G5 jump some where many months/year down the line, WHEN they update this information. I mean, they'll have to AT least change the iLife bundle on the Powerbooks to state the '05 version, on the store site? Right? So I thought that would be when they made their bump; are there ever times they just make small jumps on something like this, the Powerbook or whatever, with no big announcement, just pop, there it is on the store site?

I'm just torn. I want to purchase one NOW! Cause I'm greedy, and working to make myself completely mobile for my business. BUT, as everyone else is saying, I'd hate to order a laptop, and two weeks later they bump half of it up. I'd be quite bummed. Should I maybe hold out til the 22nd now? (iLife release date.) or just give up and go for it? Or maybe get a job at Apple and learn all their secrets? LOL

Sidenote:

I was also pondering the idea that the original Ipods would suddenly be given full color screens (like their Photo Ipod counterparts) but I think that's just crazy dreaming, right?

Thanks! Sorry I rambled on...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    The PowerBook's may get modest speed bumps to 1.5 and 1.67 GHz in the coming weeks, along with bigger/faster hard drives and Bluetooth 2. We just don't know, however.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Oops, I forgot one other question I had. Is the Keynote speech at MacWorld Expo the only time during the week that Apple makes it's announcements, or could smaller ones trickle out during the continuing week. What's the previous ones been like? (I'm new to all this Apple stuff.) I'm surprised they release the big guns out on the first day?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    That's it for major announcements this time around. There could possibly be minor updates to PowerBooks in the coming weeks, but only on Tuesdays. You just have to keep checking apple.com.

I wish I knew when the next round of updates for the iMac were, because I'm in your same situation, save type of computer. I am definitely waiting, however, until iLife '05 and iWorks come bundled, so I have a good 10-day wait or so.

Patience is a virtue, I guess.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Thanks! So, but they are definitely going to have to "upgrade" the computers/laptops with the new software, iLife '05, right? I can't imagine them leaving iLife '04 on them, while they sell the new version. So it should only be a matter of time before they update that information on the store website, I guess. I find it odd that they didn't do that immediately, along with the announcements. So they only do updates on the site on Tuesdays? No other day? Sigh! Ok... biding my time.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by nathanaaron

Thanks! So, but they are definitely going to have to "upgrade" the computers/laptops with the new software, iLife '05, right? I can't imagine them leaving iLife '04 on them, while they sell the new version. So it should only be a matter of time before they update that information on the store website, I guess. I find it odd that they didn't do that immediately, along with the announcements. So they only do updates on the site on Tuesdays? No other day? Sigh!

I'd imagine the PowerBooks, PowerMacs, iMacs, etc., still have iLife '04 on them because they are already packaged and it would be a colossal expense to go in and put '05 on them. So Apple will work on clearing out current inventories until they get new ones with '05 on them from the get-go.

Yep, Tuesdays are it. There might be a stray off-Tuesday announcement once a year or so, but I can't recall the last time that happened.

Quote:

Ok... biding my time.

You and me both.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    FYI - they are now showing an 'Up-to-Date' program for all hardware bought on or after January 11, 2005.

Get iLife '05 for $19.99 when it's ready.

http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/

If you really want/need the PB now, $20 shouldn't get in your way.