New iPhoto is like WOW! (Thoughts?)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
What did you guys think of the color correction tools in iPhoto, and all the new book options, and the way steve was laying them out? Was that simple, or what? It looked SO awesome. All the new iLife features were outstanding!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

What did you guys think of the color correction tools in iPhoto, and all the new book options, and the way steve was laying them out? Was that simple, or what? It looked SO awesome. All the new iLife features were outstanding!

the only thing i wanted was a good search feature, and it's there. the other stuff is cool, but i dont really use it.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    IMO this is the first really compelling version of iPhoto. The books, slideshows, search and correction tools make it much more worthwhile, especially the mini books. I might put my old copy of PixelNhance on mothballs once and for all...

I'm sure it will still peeve people in the likely event that it still makes copies of your pics in the iPhoto library.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    i really like that apple made clicking back and forth between organize mode and edit mode obsolete by placing the photos at the top while editing.

i just watched the iphoto part again to see the new books you mentioned. really amazing stuff. can't wait to get my hands on it.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

the only thing i wanted was a good search feature, and it's there. the other stuff is cool, but i dont really use it.

For having as many posts as you do you speak as if you never saw the WWDC keynote when the search features made their demo debut. That old keynote is the one you should watch. The search got a lot more airtime, and showed off much more of what it has to offer. You speak as if you've been waiting for it. It's been there, and the last demo was a lot better, and more full featured.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    What I wanted was a way to get video off of my digital camera without having to use the Canon software. And, they met my wishes! This ver. of iPhoto looks awesome. I cannot wait for Tiger to come out and have all this running so smoothly together!
  • Reply 6 of 44
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    What I want to know is if Spotlight searches iPhoto meta-data.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cam'ron

What I wanted was a way to get video off of my digital camera without having to use the Canon software. And, they met my wishes! This ver. of iPhoto looks awesome. I cannot wait for Tiger to come out and have all this running so smoothly together!

You can already use Image Capture app to get the .AVI files off most cameras. I do it all the time with my Ixus 400 (I think it's called digital Elph 400 in the US). It will be very cool to be able to store them in iPhoto though. I've got about 100 that I hope I'll just be able to drop straight into iPhoto5 and have them put into date order. Really impressed with the changes they've made to it. I'll be buying.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Looks like a really solid update - I'm still running iPhoto 2.0, but this gives some decent new features. I've never thought about a book before, but Steve made it look so good that I would consider upgrading, and giving books to people as lovely little presents etc.

The new way of changing between photos to view/edit is most welcome as it is a bit annoying to have to go back to browse and then open a new photo just now. Importing movies is finally here, which will help Joe Blogg camera user, as it will no longer be necessary to import the pictures, then open the drive manually. I noticed that the camera now appears in the iPhoto window too - if this is correct, hopefully we will be able to open the camera and only import certain photos - I keep some photos on my camera to show other people, so it would be useful not to have to import these. Overall, I love the new look of iPhoto - I'll maybe buy a new mac so I can get it for free, and start getting some books printer, and properly editing my photos.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

What I want to know is if Spotlight searches iPhoto meta-data.

If I remember correctly, Steve did a search in the keynote and specifically said it does - he searched for love, and sunset, and it showed the relevant photos.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

For having as many posts as you do you speak as if you never saw the WWDC keynote when the search features made their demo debut. That old keynote is the one you should watch. The search got a lot more airtime, and showed off much more of what it has to offer. You speak as if you've been waiting for it. It's been there, and the last demo was a lot better, and more full featured.

no--i knew it was coming, but i couldnt buy a version of iphoto with it. now i can.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I used iPhoto at the expo today and it is killer!

I too am annoyed with switching back and forth between Organize and Edit modes. The other edit tools and the color dashboard is cool too. (Holding down the control key to disable the alteration preview was not intuitive though. Photoshop has a nice checkbox and so should iPhoto. Holding control can still auto-toggle that checkbox for feedback. But I digress.)

The movie stuff, date-based organization, and improved books are also great.

I can talk about the other apps and/or iWork, but since this is an iPhoto thread I'll just stay on topic.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    And don't forget the RAW file format import feature.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    am i the only one who finds it kind of odd that an app called iPhoto also organizes movies?

then again, itunes now organizes photos for the ipod, so....
  • Reply 14 of 44
    I see that it can do rotations other than 90 degrees, which is nice (and was a real shortcoming of the original)

But can one print multiple versions of the same photo of a specified size (without creating a bunch of duplicates and coping to a new folder)?

And can one print photos of a non-standard size? Like can I take a photo and make a 3x3 square out of it and print that?
  • Reply 15 of 44
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sammy Davis

I see that it can do rotations other than 90 degrees, which is nice (and was a real shortcoming of the original)

But can one print multiple versions of the same photo of a specified size (without creating a bunch of duplicates and coping to a new folder)?

And can one print photos of a non-standard size? Like can I take a photo and make a 3x3 square out of it and print that?

The short answer is buy it and find out.. Go on it's only a £49 /$79.

The slightly longer answer is that you can already set Square as a crop option and do a custom ratio crop as well. I guess you might mean can you set a very accurate print size other than the ones listed.. that I don't know. Hmm.. have to try it in iPhoto 4.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proxy

The short answer is buy it and find out.. Go on it's only a £49 /$79.

The slightly longer answer is that you can already set Square as a crop option and do a custom ratio crop as well. I guess you might mean can you set a very accurate print size other than the ones listed.. that I don't know. Hmm.. have to try it in iPhoto 4.

Actually, I already ordered it (with a government slacker discount) and I can let you know next week. But you figure that anyone who wants to frame the stuff they are printing out wants to have the ability to do accurate print sizes (and anyone who wants to send photos of the kids to the relatives wants to be able to easily print a page of 3x5's). The old iPhoto was okay as a kind of storage bin for photos, but it was deficient for a product that was on its third(?) iteration.

There should be no reason for a mom and pop to have to invest in something like Photoshop Elements (on top of iPhoto) to print photos of the kids or their last vacation. It isn't the Macintosh way to have to mess with a bunch of different applications to do something simple.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sammy Davis

Actually, I already ordered it (with a government slacker discount) and I can let you know next week. But you figure that anyone who wants to frame the stuff they are printing out wants to have the ability to do accurate print sizes (and anyone who wants to send photos of the kids to the relatives wants to be able to easily print a page of 3x5's). The old iPhoto was okay as a kind of storage bin for photos, but it was deficient for a product that was on its third(?) iteration.

to answer my own questions....

1. The process of rotating photos a few degrees in iPhoto is really quite clever.

2. iPhoto 5 fixes the bug where you could not print out multiple standard size copies of the same photo on the same sheet of paper.

3. As far as I can tell, iPhoto 5 does NOT allow you to specify the dimensions of the photos you are printing out.

It is a good, but not great update.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Didn't Option-Shift while launching used to rebuild the library in iPhoto 4? Doing so with iPhoto 5 seems to allow you to create a new library or select one.

Is this a new feature? If so, it is most welcome!
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Command-option-shift lets you rebuild the database. Option-shift lets you choose among libraries or start a new one.

Several people in the Apple support discussion forums have reported disappearing thumbnails after converting their old files from the iPhoto4 format to the new iPhoto5. Most seemed to occur after trying to convert very large (thousands of photos) libraries.

It happened to me--I converted multiple libraries without a hitch, but I lost multiple thumbnails and albums on the last one--over 6000 photos from 2002 and earlier.

Only the thumbnails and albums are gone--if you poke around inside the library, you can find all of the original files.

Nobody has come up with a fix yet. You might want to be cautious converting your old libraries--just start a new one and wait for Apple to repair the glitch before converting any old (and especially large) libraries.

C.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Ah... I was confused. Thanks!