iPhoto and more Tiger features

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
This mainly applies to iPhoto... '05 looks like an excellent upgrade to the iLife suite, but releasing it before Tiger means some things i was expecting are missing.

In the past, Schiller has demonstrated Tiger's truly brilliant real-time image manipulation capabilities. These are missing in iLife '05, which seems strange to me as a) it would be a brilliant showcase of the tech and b) would further embed iPhoto as *the* image organisation/editing app for con, and perhaps prosumers.

So my question is this... will the iLife apps get brought up to Tiger's level in software updates, are we going to have to wait until '06, or is this a feature we just won't get in iPhoto?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I suspect that Apple is waiting to get some real-world experience with the Core* libraries, and will wait until iLife '06 (and after Tiger's release) to start adding CoreImage and CoreVideo effects to iPhoto and such. I do expect these aps to gain from these things, but I think the uses will be focused and limited within these apps, not quite throwing the book at users in terms of what these APIs can do. So things like the Sepia tone and the enhancement engine will be revamped, some new effects will be added, but it probably won't do all the distortion whatnots and whatever your heart is content to do that can be created using the CoreImage framework.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I suspect that Apple is waiting to get some real-world experience with the Core* libraries, and will wait until iLife '06 (and after Tiger's release) to start adding CoreImage and CoreVideo effects to iPhoto and such. I do expect these aps to gain from these things, but I think the uses will be focused and limited within these apps, not quite throwing the book at users in terms of what these APIs can do. So things like the Sepia tone and the enhancement engine will be revamped, some new effects will be added, but it probably won't do all the distortion whatnots and whatever your heart is content to do that can be created using the CoreImage framework.

All because pissing off adobe isnt wise...unless they have a pro photo app ready to press, which I doubt
  • Reply 3 of 6
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Well, I just don't think iPhoto is meant to be this design app like Photoshop or PS Elements. It's a photo catalog and photo enhancer. Plus I think Appe's approach is to limit the flexibility in order to simplify its use.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Well, I just don't think iPhoto is meant to be this design app like Photoshop or PS Elements. It's a photo catalog and photo enhancer. Plus I think Appe's approach is to limit the flexibility in order to simplify its use.

Well said. That's exactly what iPhoto is, and will remain. It's going to get better image enhancing features over time, but major editing capabilities will always give way to Photoshop LE, and PhotoShop CS. Adobe makes their products with Mac functions, and libraries built in, and Mac users in mind right from the get go.

A major portion of adobe users, and even developers at Adobe are Mac users. On top of that - Apple has always had a great relationship with Adobe, and they need not worry abut iPhoto. The only thing adobe has to worry about with iPhoto is the amount of switchers that wont be buying a PC to use Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0 because it will be no longer necessary for them. Apple created the digital photo album market, and will remain it's king.

The new iPhoto is the 1st generation of this product that is actually starting to have some appeal for me personally. I can't wait to get it.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Maybe Apple doesn't want to leave out Panther and Jaguar users by requiring Tiger to run iLife '05. It would be nice, but they will probably let the Core libraries mature a little and let a decent amount move to Tiger.

Mike
  • Reply 6 of 6
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Still the question remains, what will be the showcase for Core Image in Tiger? Tiger's coolest technology comes down to the Dashboard ripple effect? At least give me the Funhouse app. Even with Steve's WWDC plea, Adobe probably will not provide any support. I do wonder, however, if iPhoto's new dashboard editing tools and slideshow editor actually do use Core, if your Mac supports it.