OS X disk size

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and also very new to Macs as well. Basicaly I am just an ordinary PC to Mac convert that somehow got tired of problems on my WinXP.

I have just oredered my new iBook that should arrive in a day or two. Couple of days ago I had a test run on a friends iBook. Also I asked her a question that she could not answer, therefore I'll ask you the same question.

How much disk space does the installed OS X take?

She tryed to find info on that but none was available, so she just said it depends on options you select while installing OS. I suppose it's true but let's say you do the average setup, selecting basic options most users do. How much of my disk will be taken up by this? I ask this question because iBook I ordered has (i think) about 30 or perhaps 40 G of disk space. Basicaly I just want to know how much actual space will I have in the end.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kink

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and also very new to Macs as well. Basicaly I am just an ordinary PC to Mac convert that somehow got tired of problems on my WinXP.

I have just oredered my new iBook that should arrive in a day or two. Couple of days ago I had a test run on a friends iBook. Also I asked her a question that she could not answer, therefore I'll ask you the same question.

How much disk space does the installed OS X take?

She tryed to find info on that but none was available, so she just said it depends on options you select while installing OS. I suppose it's true but let's say you do the average setup, selecting basic options most users do. How much of my disk will be taken up by this? I ask this question because iBook I ordered has (i think) about 30 or perhaps 40 G of disk space. Basicaly I just want to know how much actual space will I have in the end.

Thanks

The answer to your question really depends on how much of MacOS X is installed. The BSD subsystem is an optional install. However, if you do a fairly complete installation, you should expect it to consume approximately 3-4 GB. YMMV
  • Reply 2 of 4
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    The far upside is about 6GB, if you install all of the optional components (languages, printer drivers, X11 support, etc.) plus the developer's tools. A more typical installation is 2-3GB. For most folks, other applications (Office, Firefox, etc.) usually don't add more than a couple of GB's all together, leaving dozens and dozens of GB's for your files. Your iBook will have plenty of space.

Incidentally, I would recommend that you install the BSD subsystem. It's strictly optional, but necessary should you ever yourself wanting to experiment with the UNIXy goodness that underlies OSX.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Make sure you instal the BSD sub system as Towel recommends and leave out the multi language stuff (how often will you change the language to French or whatever!).

Also leave out the Printer Drivers unless you connect to loads of different printers all the time.

Dobby.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thanks guys you are all most helpful. Once my iBook arrives and I finaly dig into the wonderful world of OS X I will surely have more questions for you.