lanyard on the shuffle

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
In the keynote when Jobs put the lanyard on the shuffle there was a distinctive click. Is this something on the lanyard top that stops the shuffle from simply falling out from a jolt or small tug? I would hate to think that just by walking or running my shuffle could jsut bounce out of the lanyard top... anyone play with one that could answer this question?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    All the shuffles at the expo were attached to their lanyards and hanging on a horizontal pole.

I should have asked one of the reps to let me try out the clicking with theirs. Doh!

I saw Phil Schiller today and he was wearing a shuffle. He's funny.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yeah, I thought that was a serious design flaw when I saw it... if it comes undone, you lose the important part. If the lanyard attached to the body, you couldn't lose it.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I've actually played with one at the Apple store a block from Moscone Center. They had a bunch for sale, and a bunch more for touching/listening/worshipping (all the ones for sale were gone by the time I got there).

The lanyard end-cap replaces the USB cover and clicks on with a fair amount of authority. I have no way of knowing if it would loosen with wear and tear, but I can say for sure that the ones I played with would never come off from jogging/hopping/dancing/whatever. Something of the same feel as putting the cap on a good quality pen-- a definite sense of clicking into place with more than just barrel friction to keep it put.

Remember, these things don't weigh hardly nothin', so it's not like there's a lot of downward pull.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It's not going to fall off unless you tug it. To me it would be a design flaw to over-engineer the clasp just to make the unlikely impossible. The problem with the lanyard is that you might accidentally dip it into something like a sink or drink if you bend over.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I saw Phil Schiller today and he was wearing a shuffle. He's funny.

Phil is Steve's bitch... so is the Sony dude that went on stage... Steve is p*owning right now