sharing itunes w/users problems

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I installed itunes 4.7 and all is fine in my master account but when I switch users, the library is not there, there is no "shared music" that shows up under sources.

I was hoping to avoid an upgrade to 10.3.7 because my last upgrade essentially stopped everything from working and I had to reinstal original to get around it.

I have the itunes folder inside my master account(adiministrator) music folder.

no problems there.

I switch users(managed accounts) and open itunes and nothing is there that says shared music. I am once again forced to duplicate the library to get it to work.

I tried moving the folder into user/shared folder and the only way to get it to work is to import the library which, once again, DUPLICATES the library.

Am trying to have 1 tunes folder in the shared folder that each user can use and not duplicate and take up space etc. Any other ideas before I try the upgrade crap shoot?

I should say I am running the 10.3.2 OS X.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    xdedxded Posts: 41member
    Anyone have any ideas? Surely someone here has worked through this situation?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by XdEd

I installed itunes 4.7 and all is fine in my master account but when I switch users, the library is not there, there is no "shared music" that shows up under sources.

I was hoping to avoid an upgrade to 10.3.7 because my last upgrade essentially stopped everything from working and I had to reinstal original to get around it.

I have the itunes folder inside my master account(adiministrator) music folder.

no problems there.

I switch users(managed accounts) and open itunes and nothing is there that says shared music. I am once again forced to duplicate the library to get it to work.

I tried moving the folder into user/shared folder and the only way to get it to work is to import the library which, once again, DUPLICATES the library.

Am trying to have 1 tunes folder in the shared folder that each user can use and not duplicate and take up space etc.

My iTunes Library also is placed in the "shared folder" to supply

every user with the same Tunes. No probs here so far.

The snag is you have to tell iTunes where this

Library is located, - for each account.

Well, open the iTunes prefs -->more options-->

choose the place of your iTunes folder (nested in "shared f.)

Do the very same in all accounts

Learn to ignore the "iTunes" folder, which is placed

(and always will be placed there) in your user "Music"

directory.

Quote:

Any other ideas before I try the upgrade crap shoot?

What do you mean?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Each of the 4 times I have tried to upgrade this system goes into a complete tailspin. I have had to reinstall every single time just to get things to work properly again. Browsers just hang forever. Apps will start to launch and then crash etc etc. Every time something stops functioning. No upgrade for me on this system if I can avoid it. I will try out your tips but, what system of OS are you on?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I worked it out through trial and error. Thx for the help.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by XdEd

I worked it out through trial and error. Thx for the help.

good