No new Powerbooks on MWSF - when will they come?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi There!

i was really sure that a speedbump of the powerbooks would be announced in the keynote today... but as we all know..nothing happened.

What du you Guys think:

- will there be a Speedbump in the next days/ weeks?

- will there be nothing for the PB´s shortly after the keynote?

- isnt it really bad for Apple, that the PB´s are not upgraded for sooo long?

ok, tell me the truth: when will i be able to switch?

greetz, Flippo

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Damn, I want the PBg5 announced soon so I can start acquiring the PBg4s from people jonseing for the g5.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    grias di, flippo,

thinksecret is usually pretty accurate with their leaks just before the expos, so my guess is that the 1.67 PB speedbump is real. apple just decided to announce it separately, so the keynote would focus on new products.

so i expect the speedbump will be announced within 2-6 weeks. unfort, no telling when.

i've been waiting a while, myself, and will almost certainly buy on of the speedbumps models. they're great machines already, and we can upgrade to the revB G5 PBs in 2006.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    I think we will see them by the end of the month, possibly as early as next tuesday. Just a quiet press release. It would have been too embarassing to announce such limited updates (not even an 8x drive) at Macworld.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    I have been thinking, while i should be sleeping because i have class at 10 tomorrow, that apple may not release G5 powerbooks at all. I mean the G5 is not made for low clock speeds and is too hot for powerbooks. If the 7448 comes out with a 200Mhz bus and faster speeds is their really a need for a G5 in a powerbook. Do you really need 8GBs of RAM in your portable? Then when freescale comes out with a G4 with a DDR bus apple could call it by a new name... and it'd sell well enough... I just question the need for a G5 powerbook or the actual performance of a single G5 clocked at the same speed as a G4 (keep in mind the G4 will be cooler and less power hungry). blah blah it's late gotta sleep... but i think this is a pretty good point.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Quote:

grias di, flippo

Grias di a zruck Imiloa!

where from?

I just can hope, that its a quiet press release for the upgraded PB´s. G4 will do it for me...but to do it for me - i gotta HAVE it

greetz from Vienna,

Flippo
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flippo

Grias di a zruck Imiloa!

where from?

I just can hope, that its a quiet press release for the upgraded PB´s. G4 will do it for me...but to do it for me - i gotta HAVE it

greetz from Vienna,

Flippo

Servas Flippo,

bin auch von da wo du herkommst. Wird langsam eine kleine community.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Just one more: 100 Posts, Hurrayy!
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Hideeho!

lustig...

i thought i could flee to an foreign board to get more information than my fellow countrymen ...

Thats what i read on think secret about the powerbooks:

Quote:

3. PowerBook G4 Update - Some readers commented that with all the bigger announcements, it seemed unlikely that Apple would use its center stage to introduced marginally faster PowerBooks (while everyone in the audience would likely be disappointed by the lack of a G5).(thinksecret.com, 12.1.2005)

greetz, Flippo
  • Reply 9 of 30
    I while back I heard something about apple scrapping the 12" PowerBook, has anyone else heard this. My first thought is that they would replace it with a 13" widescreen. If they do something like this what's the chances of seeing a 13" iBook.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I haven't heard anything about the 12" being scrapped. It does need an update, though, because the iBook is breathing down its neck.

As for G5s in portables: IBM has been hard at work making a cooler 970, and the results should appear soon. Why would you want one? Floating point performance. The G5 stomps the G4 at floating point work, and that's important for the kind of pro work that PowerBooks are used for. The much higher bandwidth of the architecture will be a boon for pro users as well, and also for games.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    I reckon speedbumps will come January 22nd. This way they can ship with the new ilife 05 suite. Otherwise, Apple would have had to release a speedbump at the expo, then update the Powerbook again on the 22nd so that Steve could keep his promise of 'All new Macs have ilife 05 free'

My theory anyhow.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wiffmaster

I reckon speedbumps will come January 22nd. This way they can ship with the new ilife 05 suite. Otherwise, Apple would have had to release a speedbump at the expo, then update the Powerbook again on the 22nd so that Steve could keep his promise of 'All new Macs have ilife 05 free'

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Seems to be the most possible reason for a delayed speed bump.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

I have been thinking, while i should be sleeping because i have class at 10 tomorrow, that apple may not release G5 powerbooks at all. I mean the G5 is not made for low clock speeds and is too hot for powerbooks. If the 7448 comes out with a 200Mhz bus and faster speeds is their really a need for a G5 in a powerbook. Do you really need 8GBs of RAM in your portable? Then when freescale comes out with a G4 with a DDR bus apple could call it by a new name... and it'd sell well enough... I just question the need for a G5 powerbook or the actual performance of a single G5 clocked at the same speed as a G4 (keep in mind the G4 will be cooler and less power hungry). blah blah it's late gotta sleep... but i think this is a pretty good point.

Bingo. Apple can differentiate between Pro and Consumer lines by using dual-core and dual-processor systems rather than G4 and G5 chips. This is already the case anyway.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    i cant stand the wait, so i took a bite in the Apple and ordered myself a new 15" PowerBook today..

When i configured it last night the standard model took 24 hours to ship, and my BuiltToOrder custom (128 vram, 5400 rpm drive and no superdrive) took 3 days to ship..

Today when i ordered i noticed that my build time was 9 - 11 days, and i checked apple store.. ALL BTO 15" and 17" models are 9 - 11 days to ship, even RAM upgrades..

my estimated shipping date is 28.01.. i think they are holding my BTO untill tuesday, and that they are speedbumping PB at that time.. Why would BTO be changed from standard 3 to 9-11 days if they were not upgrading?

AND the apple agent who took my order specificaly told me that i would get iLife 05 with my new mac!
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Well, the delay is prob the result of loading iLife '05 on the new 1.5's coming off the line.

But, My God Man...Don't you think you should wait until the 22nd to see what's up (before ordering)? What if they bump the proc and gpu... wont you be pissed? I would be livid! Being that it's only a week or so away (and they're holding up the order anyways), why not cancel it?
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Track_40

Well, the delay is prob the result of loading iLife '05 on the new 1.5's coming off the line.

But, My God Man...Don't you think you should wait until the 22nd to see what's up (before ordering)? What if they bump the proc and gpu... wont you be pissed? I would be livid! Being that it's only a week or so away (and they're holding up the order anyways), why not cancel it?

If they do bump it, can't he get his money back anyway, as it has been updated within 14 days of his purchase?
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:

they have that get your money back thing, and norwegian law says that i can freely use it for 14 days and then return it for a full refund..

but its only BTO machines that are delayed.. not the standard model, they ship right away.. why would they hold BTO for ilife05 and not the standard in-stock models?
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Maybe because BTO - is not built yet? And instock models already have iLife '04 - so they're pushin them out.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:

Maybe because BTO - is not built yet? And instock models already have iLife '04 - so they're pushin them out.

well mr. Jobs said all new Macs would ship with iLife 05.. so i cant see why he would wait untill 22 jan.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    Hmm. I've gotten two phone calls from Apple Sales trying to meet my powerbook needs since Tuesday morning, just before the Keynote Speech. I went in and configured a BTO 17" and saved it, ever since then, multiple calls and people trying to get me too buy. Has anyone else had this happen?