Apple To Get Big On Gaming ... Really !

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I just had an idea... Given the Sony and Apple love-fest at MacWorld where Steve and Sony dude practically stopped short of giving each other b...... whoa, sorry, family thread

But seriously, Apple could get big into gaming if maybe they had Sony Playstation 2 daughtercards/ somesort of peripheral working with the Mac? Maybe just $100 more and you can enjoy ALL the PS2 and PS games on your 23-incher

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    You know, that would be the single best idea apple could ever have to get into gaming (some sort of association with playstation 2).

And that's exactly why it wont happen.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

And that's exactly why it wont happen.

Tell me about it

_________

I like AppleInsider because people

tend to agree with me
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Pop Quiz:

Would you rather:

a) Spend $100 on a PS2 card and have your kids spend all day playing PS2 games in your home office on your $5000 G5 and 23" monitor that you would otherwise use for more productive purposes

or

b) Spend $149 on an actual PS2 and have your kids play PS2 games in the basement on your $200 23" TV while you sit in your home office in peace and quite and use your $5000 G5 and 23" monitor for more productive purposes
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by joesph mother

Pop Quiz:

Would you rather:

a) Spend $100 on a PS2 card and have your kids spend all day playing PS2 games in your home office on your $5000 G5 and 23" monitor that you would otherwise use for more productive purposes

or

b) Spend $149 on an actual PS2 and have your kids play PS2 games in the basement on your $200 23" TV while you sit in your home office in peace and quite and use your $5000 G5 and 23" monitor for more productive purposes

fair enough

...but i was more talkin about using your $800-$3000 Mac setup to play PS2/PS3 games when you feel like taking a break from your usual Mac tasks... rather than have to go over to your TV setup etc... and rather than have to pay another $600 for the latest Nvdia/ATi 90000ultra-super-duper thingy
  • Reply 5 of 13
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    While a PS2 card would get us a bigger game *selection*, it wouldn't get us a lot of games we would care to play when taking a break. Go look thru the games at the store and see how many of them are suited to break-taking.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Apple and gaming? HA! It'll never happen. Its past speaks for itself.

That said, I think the mac mini looks like a set top game player. I can see third party developers building gadgets, hubs, hard drives, speakers that you stack on/below the mini. Maybe even ps2.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kung Fu Guy

Apple and gaming? HA! It'll never happen. Its past speaks for itself.

That said, I think the mac mini looks like a set top game player. I can see third party developers building gadgets, hubs, hard drives, speakers that you stack on/below the mini. Maybe even ps2.

Gaming Slice ?

How about a Game Cube sitting on top?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    tabootaboo Posts: 128member
    Hmm. Well, we had it once for PS1 games.

Sony liked it soooo much they sued, then bought the company just to kill it.

As for Apple going that route.....I suspect they never really forgot about Pippin.

Though now that I think on it, the mini does remind me a bit of one Pippin prototype.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

fair enough

...but i was more talkin about using your $800-$3000 Mac setup to play PS2/PS3 games when you feel like taking a break from your usual Mac tasks... rather than have to go over to your TV setup etc... and rather than have to pay another $600 for the latest Nvdia/ATi 90000ultra-super-duper thingy

We're talking a setup with a screen right? If you pick that right (like, Dell/Benq 20", or HP/Benq 23") you get component and SVHS inputs, in some cases same panel than in Apple displays, and you can plug in a PS2 or whatever console you like.

I'm going to setup a system like that soonish.

When you get to the neighborhood of $700 you can buy a whole gaming PC, BTW.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    hegorhegor Posts: 160member
    If Apple wanted to embrace gaming, then they took a pass on it with the mini mac, at least at this time. It could have been a console-ish mac.

It would certainly need more than a Radeon 9200 with 32 MB of ram.

Maybe if the mini is so successful, then perhaps they will put more a la carte BTO options including selections to make it more game friendly.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

We're talking a setup with a screen right? If you pick that right (like, Dell/Benq 20", or HP/Benq 23") you get component and SVHS inputs, in some cases same panel than in Apple displays, and you can plug in a PS2 or whatever console you like.

I'm going to setup a system like that soonish.

When you get to the neighborhood of $700 you can buy a whole gaming PC, BTW.

hmmm yeah \ well, that's apple's next challenge... the gamingPCuers and the business scene - joe schmoe on a crappy wintel that needs IT dude coming over to his desk a few times a day to fix some rubbish wintel snafu
  • Reply 12 of 13
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

hmmm yeah \ well, that's apple's next challenge... the gamingPCuers and the business scene - joe schmoe on a crappy wintel that needs IT dude coming over to his desk a few times a day to fix some rubbish wintel snafu

Wha? Business PC's and gamer PC's are not related. The market dynamics are totally different. OS X will have a hard time as a gaming platform until the marketshare goes up, and Apple puts out a decent gaming rig (one model is enough if done right). In business it's a question of compatibility, software base, in-house apps, frameworks, IT know-how etc.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

Wha? Business PC's and gamer PC's are not related. The market dynamics are totally different. OS X will have a hard time as a gaming platform until the marketshare goes up, and Apple puts out a decent gaming rig (one model is enough if done right). In business it's a question of compatibility, software base, in-house apps, frameworks, IT know-how etc.

yeah i was meaning those 2 are apple's next targets... whether that is achieved by 1 machine type or 2 kinds of Macs or a whole kick-ass strategy, we'll have to see...