Check the bus speed

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Before you get TOO excited about the mini, check the bus speed and compare it to an iBook or eMac

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    It's the same speed. What did you expect?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    billhbillh Posts: 19member
    My iMac G4 has the same specs less the video card and it's been good enough to let me skip the current generation of iMacs. I was stuck in the NT4 world for the 4 years prior to this computer and though I'm not current on XP I believe most PC users will feel like they've died and gone to heaven once they get the feel of OSX and iLife. Just my nickels worth.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    My dual 1 GHz G4 MDD PowerMac w/ Panther kicks the snot out of my work machine (a ~3.2 GHz hyperthreaded P4 w/ 2 GB RAM, Win XP servpack1) in terms of general usability and responsiveness.

It is really remarkable, actually. Oh there are specific tasks where the PC screams through computations, but for smoothness and usability I much prefer the Mac. Can't wait until I get my next one (probably 2nd half '05 or into '06) as I am optimistic about what is coming from IBM in terms of processors.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    the bus speed is not *really* that important with the mini. it is not a machine designed for 3D/photoshop/video work. if you are doing that apple wants you to get a G5. for what this machine is designed for it is just fine.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dbakkers

Before you get TOO excited about the mini, check the bus speed and compare it to an iBook or eMac

The mini has a faster bus than the iBook. So are we supposed to get even more excited now?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Ooops, posted this thread to the wrong area. It was meant to just go to the Mac mini area.

Anyhow, with the bus of the mini at 167MHz, which is the same a PowerBook G4, it isn't exactly going to set the world on fire.

Better to think of it as a PowerBook without a keyboard, mouse, screen, BlueTooth or AirPort (unless you want to buy them as extras).

Other than that, I think it's very kewl and will sit nicely under my Cobalt Qube
  • Reply 7 of 7
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    one word

$499

Not a dual powemac G5

Nuff said