MacMini CPU Speeds 1.25GHz vs 1.42GHz

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
From your experiences, do you think there's a significant difference between a G4 PowerPC 1.25GHz and 1.42GHz?

I'm trying to decide between buying the higher end Mac Mini with 1.42GHz and an 80 Gb harddrive and 512 Mb of RAM, or the 1.25GHz and upgrading to an 80 Gb harddrive and 512 Mb of RAM.

What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by JavaCowboy

From your experiences, do you think there's a significant difference between a G4 PowerPC 1.25GHz and 1.42GHz?

I'm trying to decide between buying the higher end Mac Mini with 1.42GHz and an 80 Gb harddrive and 512 Mb of RAM, or the 1.25GHz and upgrading to an 80 Gb harddrive and 512 Mb of RAM.

What do you think?

For 99% of all uses, the speed difference will be so small it cannot be perceived.

The 1.42 might crunch iMovie and iDVD data slightly faster, but the speed-up will be very small, like saving 10-15 seconds on a five minute operation.

I'd go with the 1.25, personally. In fact, I am: My father-in-law doesn't know it yet, but I'm getting him a 1.25 to replace his aging Beige G3/266. He's a snow bird, though, and I'll wait until he comes back for spring.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JavaCowboy

No experience, but I don't need any to figure this out. 1.42/1.25 = 1.14. 14% is the absolute maximum difference assuming the software you run is only limited by the processor speed.

My rule of thumb for the question "what's a noticeable speed difference" is 20% or 25%, depending on which foot I got out of the bed with.