"Medium" graphic program?

tantan
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
My first post!

Furthermore: The day before yesterday I finally threw away the burden of Windows and bought an iMac G5! You cannot beleive the relief of actually switching from the Windows environment to Mac.

So far all is well, but I must admit that I miss one thing from Windows: a "medium size" graphic program like "Paint Shop Pro". Something smaller and easier than Photoshop, but still more powerful than your simple "rotate and remove red eyes" programs.

I do not know if something like "Paint Shop Pro" exists on Mac, but please advice me if if it does.

Best regards, Tan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tan

My first post!

Furthermore: The day before yesterday I finally threw away the burden of Windows and bought an iMac G5! You cannot beleive the relief of actually switching from the Windows environment to Mac.

So far all is well, but I must admit that I miss one thing from Windows: a "medium size" graphic program like "Paint Shop Pro". Something smaller and easier than Photoshop, but still more powerful than your simple "rotate and remove red eyes" programs.

I do not know if something like "Paint Shop Pro" exists on Mac, but please advice me if if it does.

Best regards, Tan

Tan,

Welcome to AI and the wonderful world of the Mac .

It sounds like Photoshop Elements 3 could be what you are looking for . It has much of the functionality of Photoshop CS, but at a greatly reduced price. But it still has a lot of power available if you need it.

Alternatively, you could check out the new version of iPhoto that is in iLife '05. It has the "rotate and remove redeye" functions, but they have also included some new functions, such as brightnes, contrast, exposure control etc. And the cool thing is that if you bought a Mac after January 11th (which you did), you will qualify for the 'up to date' program, and it will only cost you $20 .

Hope that helps .
  • Reply 2 of 10
    tantan Posts: 4member
    Great! Thanks for the help!

Good to see that one for once had perfect timing...

Still, it would be interesting to know if there are any other graphic programs out there "between" the professional and the amateur user. Yes, I know it sounds like a contradiction, but we all want to both eat and have the cake, right?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I'm sure there's other software that occupies the same tier as Photoshop Elements 3, but since it does such a great job (IMHO ), who needs something else .

iPhoto isn't really up to competeing with Elements 3, as it only has a small number of the features. However, for most people, it's the perfect tool for the job. But i'd still get iLife '05 as there are quite a few really good improvements to the other applications.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    You might try Graphic Converter. It's $30 shareware and has been around on the Mac since the beginning of time.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

You might try Graphic Converter. It's $30 shareware and has been around on the Mac since the beginning of time.

GraphicConverter's strength is that it will convert between an insane number of different image formats. The actual editing of things is best done elsewhere. It also suffers greatly from being a Carbon app and the interface updates don't really make it feel like a MacOS X app. It is a MacOS 9 app with some paint splashed on (but definitely better for even the small amount of paint).
  • Reply 6 of 10
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tan

I will show you a route a little more complicated. You can install X11 (it should an optional installation in your system disks), then Fink, and through Fink, you can very easily install a big number of Unix/Linux programs that have ported to OS X and run under X11. One of them if the Gimp, a particularly powerful Photoshop-like program, completely free.

You can simplify installation and maintenance of Fink-installed packages if you use the FinkCommander.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I will show you a route a little more complicated. You can install X11 (it should an optional installation in your system disks), then Fink, and through Fink, you can very easily install a big number of Unix/Linux programs that have ported to OS X and run under X11. One of them if the Gimp, a particularly powerful Photoshop-like program, completely free.

You can simplify installation and maintenance of Fink-installed packages if you use the FinkCommander.

There is already a MacOS X binary port of the GIMP. It uses MacOS X's simple drag and drop installation. Fink Commander is not necessary.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

There is already a MacOS X binary port of the GIMP. It uses MacOS X's simple drag and drop installation. Fink Commander is not necessary.

Absolutely. I was suggesting Fink since it is very handy when one needs to install unix programs.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    tantan Posts: 4member
    GIMP looks interesting. I might even dare to tryout Fink once I have become more familiar with OS X...

In the weekend I had time to check out Graphic converter and it looks quite ok. Definately more usable than iPhoto!

I feel more confident in finding my "medium" graphic program now. Thanks for all the help!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tan

GIMP looks interesting. I might even dare to tryout Fink once I have become more familiar with OS X...

In the weekend I had time to check out Graphic converter and it looks quite ok. Definately more usable than iPhoto!

I feel more confident in finding my "medium" graphic program now. Thanks for all the help!

warm welcome anyway

did i mention PS Elements? You won't regret it.

Well i don't dare to talk around this

"Fink"-"Gimp" combination, but it sounds

a wee bit complicated.

And since you just arrived to the Mac world,

why looking for Fink-Gimp hassles?

Photoshop with Elements, convert Pictures

with GraphicConverter, organize all your stuff

with iPhoto. Do not underestimate PS Elemets!

Indeed it is a powerfull app and easy to use.

I guess it is exactly you are looking for.

my2Cents