What is this process?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I checked my activity monitor as I do from time to time and I found the process "mDNSResponder" running belonging to a user called "nobody"

I do not have a "nobody" user account. Does anyone know what this process/user is or could be???

Thx...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    It's for handling Rendezvous connections I think.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by opuscroakus

I do not have a "nobody" user account.

You do. To make sure there is "nobody" open NetInfo Manager, in the second column click users and look in the next column. Sure you have a "nobody" user account!

It's perfectly OK since for security reasons UNIX defines several fictious accounts used by system software.

WARNING! Do not edit NetInfo Manager database unless you know what you are doing! You can easily make your Mac unable to boot.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

[B]You do. To make sure there is "nobody" open NetInfo Manager, in the second column click users and look in the next column. Sure you have a "nobody" user account!

It's perfectly OK since for security reasons UNIX defines several fictious accounts used by system software.

OK cool, I was wondering if that was where the account came from. Does anyone know what that process is, or was MCQ correct? Does anyone else have this process running on their system?

Thx for the info!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    A brief description of all the background processes, including mDNSResponder can be found here:

http://www.westwind.com/reference/OS...processes.html
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Code Master

A brief description of all the background processes, including mDNSResponder can be found here:

http://www.westwind.com/reference/OS...processes.html

thanks for the linkage good stuff