PowerBook G5 and iBook G5 Leaked By Taiwan Contractors

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Check out the table several paragraphs down on:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050114A7040.html

It is reported that Asustek will be delivering iBook G5s in 2nd Quarter of 2005! And PowerBook G5s in 2nd Quarter of 2005 will be delivered by Quanta.

Let us now go CRAZY and COULD THIS BE TRUE??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Let us now go CRAZY and COULD THIS BE TRUE??

No, it is a typo. No way to introduce at the same time Powerbooks AND iBooks with G5s inside.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Well, Macbidouille is reporting it too, adding that Digitimes have a tradition of dropping "bombs" like that.

And, the digitimes site seems to be unaccessible at the moment....

But still, I'd be very surprised if Apple were able to launch G5 iBooks and Powerbooks at the same time.

Maybe we should call this forum "permanent insanity"

• Reply 3 of 38
    Ok I read the digitimes article.

I'm not saying it's all true of course, -how could I know anyway- But would they make 3 typo's ( iBook G5) in 1 article ?

Hmmm...
  • Reply 4 of 38
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dylsexic Manupilator

Ok I read the digitimes article.

I'm not saying it's all true of course, -how could I know anyway- But would they make 3 typo's ( iBook G5) in 1 article ?

Hmmm...

my point exactly to the naysayers that say it is a typo... ibook especially is listed as "iBook/iBook G5" ... umm that's not a typo unless the writer was high or somefin.

i have my doubts, but those are oriented around misinformation rather than a 'typo'. this is a major taiwanese site that covers their massive IT industry, not just some blogger fan boy or anythin.

my chips (pun intended ) are on 80% that this is correct. because even if i am wrong, i'd like to dream anyway... the G5 is fast. end of story. get that into portables and apple will hold its own in portables and move people (that can afford it) into that after they get a taste of the mini and ipods and stuff.

Peace 8)
  • Reply 5 of 38
    when rumors were going around about the iPod Shuffle and Mac mini, I thought that they weren't true because the rumors never come true. Could Apple be letting such news get by?
  • Reply 6 of 38
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Digitimes has be wrong many times in the past and as a result I deleted the bookmark.

chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer said during Apple's Q1 2005 conference call today. The likelihood of such a product emerging in the near future is increasingly looking grim.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

No, it is a typo. No way to introduce at the same time Powerbooks AND iBooks with G5s inside.

Maybe you need to understand it another way : iBook G5 is really the 12" Powerbook G5 (12" Powerbooks G4 are produced by Asustek, while the other 2 are produced by Quanta, if I remember right...).
  • Reply 8 of 38
    I don't see why Apple couldn't make an iBook G5 at the same time as a PowerBook G5. They can differentiate the specs enough.

I seem to recall some saying that they didn't think an iBook and PowerBook with a G4 would co-exist. That happened. I wouldn't be surprised if the 12" models of both series retained G4 processors, though.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I think the bomb willl be a G5-class processor like a 970CX or 950. Very low power, SP only, maybe a memory/PCI controller built in. Just for portable use.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    pbg3pbg3 Posts: 211member
    Fuck...just when I was about to buy an iBook, this happens.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Someone else said this already, and I think they were spot on. the iBook G5 is actually the 12" Powerbook G5. They are the manufacturer of the 12 inch Powerbooks, so somehow the wording got misplaced.

The ones actually labeled Powerbook G5 are surely the 15 and 17 inch machines.

I agree, there will *not* be iBook G5s in quarter two. However, I do now believe we *will* see Powerbook G5s in quarter two. This is fantastic news!

Unfortunately, I was going to buy a Powerbook, when they release the G4 updates this month. I will no longer do that. I guess the initial reports, which called for Powerbook G5 at WWDC were correct.

Big Question: Will they have to raise the prices on the Powerbook line for the G5, or with other components always going down in price, can they keep the price the same as it is now?
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dylsexic Manupilator

Well, Macbidouille is reporting it too, adding that Digitimes have a tradition of dropping "bombs" like that.

yeah, and there bombs are usually duds, they don't have a good track record.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

Big Question: Will they have to raise the prices on the Powerbook line for the G5, or with other components always going down in price, can they keep the price the same as it is now?

When they popped a G5 into the iMac they actually dropped the price a few hundred $$. Saying that I doubt they will drop the pBook price (they might drop the 15"/17" price actually) but its highly likely that they will remain the same.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The General

yeah, and there bombs are usually duds, they don't have a good track record.

Well, that's just BS. They had several rumors that got famous cease and desist letters from Apple. they actually gave up on reporting their own rumors because of the legal implications...
  • Reply 15 of 38
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBeard

When they popped a G5 into the iMac they actually dropped the price a few hundred $$.

This price drop is due to the much cheaper new design of the iMac G5, something rather unlikely to happen with an iBook.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

Someone else said this already, and I think they were spot on. the iBook G5 is actually the 12" Powerbook G5. They are the manufacturer of the 12 inch Powerbooks, so somehow the wording got misplaced.

The ones actually labeled Powerbook G5 are surely the 15 and 17 inch machines.

Maybe but that's asuming the 12" PowerBook (if there still is one) will be based on the 12" iBook (if there still is one) and certainly Apple will being introducing a whole new PowerBook design for the G5 series. Then again maybe there will be a 13" widescreen iBook and Apple will have a 13" widescreen PowerBook design based on it for cost reasons. I would like to see the low-end PowerBook brought up to spec with the rest of the line though.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

Well, that's just BS. They had several rumors that got famous cease and desist letters from Apple. they actually gave up on reporting their own rumors because of the legal implications...

you mean like the 15.4" powerbooks, the 19"(not 20") imac., powerbook g5 at last years wddc,ect.. just do a google search, you'll find plenty.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

I don't recall any legal action taken against Digitimes and they are not even a rumor site. They have had some pretty inaccurate reports in the past so I wouldn't put too much faith into it. Still, maybe Apple plans to make this year's WWDC a huge G5/64-bit event and it would be the ideal place to announce new PowerMacs, PowerBooks, and iBooks all based on the G5 and shipping with Tiger. This would also put it at the very end of Q2. It's the "mother of all thermal challenges" comment that throws me. Maybe they just didn't want sales of the upcoming PowerBook G4 update to suffer. I don't know, Apple is just too unpredictable these days.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

I don't recall any legal action taken against Digitimes and they are not even a rumor site. They have had some pretty inaccurate reports in the past so I wouldn't put too much faith into it. Still, maybe Apple plans to make this year's WWDC a huge G5/64-bit event and it would be the ideal place to announce new PowerMacs, PowerBooks, and iBooks all based on the G5 and shipping with Tiger. This would also put it at the very end of Q2. It's the "mother of all thermal challenges" comment that throws me. Maybe they just didn't want sales of the upcoming PowerBook G4 update to suffer. I don't know, Apple is just too unpredictable these days.

I wasn't talking about digitimes, but hardmac/macbidouille, which has been the first to uncover some interesting rumors in the past. (Though not always correct).
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

I wasn't talking about digitimes, but hardmac/macbidouille, which has been the first to uncover some interesting rumors in the past. (Though not always correct).

Well, I, and I think just about everyone else here was(when talking about dropping bombs,ect)....