Apple to manufacture 100,000 Mac minis a month, more...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
An overseas publication offers its insight into who is manufacturing Apple's latest products, and throws in some wild rumors pertaining to G5-based iBooks and PowerBooks.

Confirming an earlier AppleInsider scoop, DigiTimes today is reporting that it is indeed Foxconn (Hon Hai) which has signed on as the contract manufacturer for Apple?s newly launched Mac mini computers.

According to the report, which cites sources close to the Taiwanese contract manufacturer, Foxconn is expected to ship at least 100,000 Mac mini computers per month to Apple, or roughly 300,000 per quarter.

The report also confirms that Asustek has been enlisted by Apple to produce its new flash-based iPod shuffle player. Asustek will reportedly supply Apple with 400,000 to 500,000 of these puppies a month, or nearly 1.5 million per quarter.

Strikingly, the same DigiTimes report also claims that in the second quarter of the year, Asustek will begin supplying Apple G5-based iBooks at a rate of approximately 125,000 per month. During the same timeframe, Quanta, another Taiwanese contract manufacturer, will produce PowerBook G5 models at a rate of 30,000 to 50,000 per month, the report states.

While AppleInsider is fully confident in DigiTimes' ability to accurately assess and report on Apple's existing overseas manufacturing contracts, the publication has in the past provided inaccurate information in regards to unannounced products.

AppleInsider ceases to believe that Apple in the second quarter of 2005 could simultaneously launch both iBooks and PowerBooks based on a G5 processor, and do so successfully and proficiently. In the meantime, we're chalking this rumor up for forum discussion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    Well ... WOW!

First off the supply of Mac minis will outstrip that supply rather quickly and we will see a scramble to up that production.

The Shuffle will be a home run when, besides all of Asia, and countless teenagers disappointed by not getting an iPod for xMas join most current iPod owners who will add Shuffle to their iPod collection for activities that a smaller simpler iPod is better.

G5s in iBooks and Powerbooks? Barring a total breakthrough by IBM in a next generation 970 with fantastic power savings, as well as astounding yields and breakthrough pricing I just don't see it.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    Not going to happen. Powerbook G5 would come first by a long way in any case, even if they do manage those this year (which I would consider to be possible, but unlikely). We're more likely to see dual-core G4-based ones I think.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    It would be great... but I agree its extremely unlikely. We'll see at least one new generation of G4 PowerBooks before we get to a G5 version.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by MattW

Not going to happen. Powerbook G5 would come first by a long way in any case, even if they do manage those this year (which I would consider to be possible, but unlikely). We're more likely to see dual-core G4-based ones I think.

Maybe we are getting a bit too hung up on the G5 thing. Maybe there is a contract to build new iBooks and PowerBooks, albeit with non G5 chips in them? Somebody want to explain all these new chips to me - it was simple when it was G3, G4, G5, but now there is 7440 et al, and since I've not been in for a bit, I'm a bit confuzzled! \
  • Reply 5 of 55
    I believe the iBook G5s listed on the digitimes article are the 12" Powerbooks G5, and the Powerbook G5s listed are the 15 and 17 inch Powerbook G5s.

I'm now confident we will see the Powerbook G5 in Q2. However, I have no idea what the specs will be. What could be in the G5, which would still deserve the label G5?
  • Reply 6 of 55
    eric_zeric_z Posts: 175member
    You know, when I read the chart...

Quote:

iBook/iBook G5 - Asustek - 1.3-1.5 million/year - (combined shipments of the two series) - iBook G5 to start shipping in 2Q 2005

...I get the impression that there could be two models of iBooks one (propably) G4 and one G5.

Thoughts?
  • Reply 7 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eric_Z

You know, when I read the chart...

...I get the impression that there could be two models of iBooks one (propably) G4 and one G5.

Thoughts?

If that had been true, I guess your idea is possible. However, I am nearly *certain* that iBook G5 reference is actually to the 12 inch Powerbook G5.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

If that had been true, I guess your idea is possible. However, I am nearly *certain* that iBook G5 reference is actually to the 12 inch Powerbook G5.

I would think that for the PowerBook G5 releasae they would resedign the entire lineup and there would be no more 12 inch PowerBook, at least not one still based off the iBook. Also, why would Apple expect to sell so many iBook G5s and so few PowerBook G5s? The whole Digitimes article is rather strange and they have been wrong many times in the past.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eric_Z

If the processor gives indication, which market

( "pro" or "consumer") is being aimed, than

this split of the iBook line is pretty much

unlikely. Well a definite no.

Also, apple will stick with distinctive pro and

consumer products of course. There is no need

to create confusion.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

Also, why would Apple expect to sell so many iBook G5s and so few PowerBook G5s?

Oh, I can see that easily. An iBook G5 would be an unheard-of value. And I don't see cost or yields as an issue anymore: Apple shipped almost 340,000 iMac G5s last quarter, and those start at $1299 with a much nicer screen than the iBook has.

The main issue would be heat, and if IBM's licked that... well, why not?

I'm not just favorably inclined to this rumor just because I'd be all over an iBook G5. No bias here. None whatsoever! *cough*

This also, indirectly, feeds my growing suspicion that the PowerMacs are not just getting faster G5s...
  • Reply 11 of 55
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion

Well ... WOW!

First off the supply of Mac minis will outstrip that supply rather quickly and we will see a scramble to up that production.

Yeah, hopefully these numbers aren't very accurate. I think it could sell 400k in a quarter (maybe more - too early to see how many non-forum consumers actually purchase). I'm guessing it'll be a word-of-mouth thing as far as how quickly the demand ramps up - friends of the first adopting switchers/adders will wait to find out how much they like it, before they put an order in.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    Or how about no more pro and ibook, but just three models 12 15 17, That way the other stuff they haveplanned can come in..

Wheres my tablet!
  • Reply 13 of 55
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

This also, indirectly, feeds my growing suspicion that the PowerMacs are not just getting faster G5s...

Well, go on... you seem to have interrupted some reasoning .
  • Reply 14 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Hmm... I'd like to know more, why do you think that there might be something bigger in the pipeline? And what do you think that "not just faster G5s" could be?

Greetings,

durandal
  • Reply 15 of 55
    I am so SICK of people speculating about a G5 Powerbook. It's GOING to happen EVENTUALLY and you'll expect to buy it when Apple ANNOUNCES it. Speculating about one ISN'T going to get it into production ANY SOONER.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

it was simple when it was G3, G4, G5, but now there is 7440 et al, and since I've not been in for a bit, I'm a bit confuzzled! \

same here
  • Reply 17 of 55
    If this is actual fact, then Apple better not blow this one. If they do, We may not have too much to talk about in 2007.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    Look, I'd be as happy as anyone if this rumor were true, but... yeah, right!

Probably the G5 was just a typo. The report probably meant new PowerBook G4s and iBook G4s.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    concerning: so many cpus beeing confusing

company freescale

produces g4

new g4 less heat, less power hungry, more 2nd level cache, more ghz

this is the new single core g4 (7844 or something)

one day they will put two of those on a chip

this is gonna be a dual core g4

i even heard it would be 64 bit (2x32 bit i guess)

company ibm

produces g5 (64bit)

powerful but heat problems (powerbook)

they also will produce a dual core someday

concerning waiting for the new g5 pb

i am waiting for a couple of months now to switch to mac

so i was very disapointed not hearing about a new pb from macworld

but even if i am pretty shure 2Q we will se a g5PB i think i will still get me the new g4 that will be announced the next weeks(rumors)

the first version of new hardware has proven to be not as good as you are used from apple hardware.

therefor i will wait for the 2nd or 3rd gen g5PB and get me a g4 in the meantime

i am not switching from wintel to be annoied by smome not perfected assembly of a brandnew hardware

kris

vienna
  • Reply 20 of 55
    The real question is what is IBM doing? They've been pretty quiet lately, but you know they are working hard.

If there is a new chip that would work in the PB then a "G5" might be possible. The thing to remember is that it will also be a beautiful design, which is better than a 2.5" thick notebook.

I can see a new iBook, but doubt that it will be G5. My thought is a wide screen replacement for the 12" and maybe better displays - especially for the 14".

Oh well, the SF Keynote is over and only 6 months to wait for the next one.