G3 iBook Wireless Options?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was wondering is it possible to get an 802.11g internal wireless card for my G3 iBook? I went to the Apple store today to buy a wireless card, and was told that the current Airport Extreme Card only works on G4 Mac's.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    I just recently bought mine here. It's a new original airport 802.11b card, and this is the cheapest place I could find for a new or used one.

I believe there is no internal g solution, unless you're pretty spectacular with a soldering iron.

But it's still compatible with any airport, just a few Mbps slower. But speed's obviously not a problem for you if, like me, you're still using a G3 ibook.

--B
  • Reply 3 of 5
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macasaurus

Try one of these.

http://shop3.outpost.com/category/Ou...terAreaString=

won't work. 802.11g requires USB 2. G3 iBooks only have USB 1.1
  • Reply 4 of 5
    That is a completely silly statement.... The first Al powerbooks, 867MHz 12 inch for example has USB1 and airport extreme. The airport extreme won't fit in a G3 iBook but if it had a pcmcia slot you could use a third party 802.11g card with no problem. I put one in a Pismo and it worked fine.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

That is a completely silly statement.... The first Al powerbooks, 867MHz 12 inch for example has USB1 and airport extreme. The airport extreme won't fit in a G3 iBook but if it had a pcmcia slot you could use a third party 802.11g card with no problem. I put one in a Pismo and it worked fine.

I think he was referring to the 802.11g USB 2 dongles I had posted about.

Unfortunately the iBook doesn't have a PCMCIA slot either. I guess you are stuck with 802.11b as the best speed you'll ever achieve wirelessly on an iBook.